CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Styles At Sea (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/styles-sea/)
-   -   Formal night pzazz? (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/styles-sea/384996-formal-night-pzazz.html)

Trip September 16th, 2011 02:52 PM

Formal night pzazz?

Ladies, on formal nights, are you a lover of little black dresses, or, are you a woman who loves color to light up a room?

Men..will you wear a patterned or bright cumberbund[the popular spelling] and tie, or, a more traditional look?

colorcrazie September 16th, 2011 03:34 PM

I still lean toward black when I want to dress up. But, since most cruiselines have turned down the dress code so much, I now tend to go with more colorful outfits. My favorite is a washed silk purple, with blues and pinks mixed in a very subtle pattern. But, if I want to flash my good jewelry, which I rarely get to wear, I'm back to good old black. It just seems to set the gems off better.
Marty

johnthed0g September 16th, 2011 03:48 PM

Black dinner suit/Tux for me, white shirt, black bow tie, P&O sometimes have a formal themed night "Black & White" then I wear the white tux jacket & black shirt with black & white spotty bow tie. Other than that I don't like coloured bow ties. Having said this what does look nice is the man to wear a bow tie the same colour as his wife's dress.

Lakers Fan September 16th, 2011 03:58 PM

Black suit ,black tie ,black shoes ,blue shirt but if I had my druthers none of the aforementioned .

Trip September 16th, 2011 04:01 PM

Np pattern in your tie?

johnthed0g September 16th, 2011 04:14 PM

PS...I don't do the patent shiny shoes but I have got a pair of "oxfords" that I try to spit polish, never having been in the forces I am not that good at it!

Rev22:17 September 16th, 2011 06:17 PM

Linda,

Quote:

Originally Posted by You (Post 1392767)
Men..will you wear a patterned or bright cumberbund[the popular spelling] and tie, or, a more traditional look?

I have a white dinner jacket outfit, which I generally bring on cruises where it's appropriate, and a tuxedo that I use for cruises where the white dinner jacket would not be appropriate.

As to accessories, I have a black cummerbund with matching bow tie, a black and silver striped cummerbund with matching bow tie, and a teal vest with matching bow tie. I also have "pocket squares" in each of these colors and a white "pocket square" to use when I wear the black cummerbund and bow tie with the tuxedo. I'll wear a different set on each of the "formal" evenings. When travelling with a female friend or companion, I'll try to coordinate my accessories with her dresses.

I probably will pick up a couple more colors to add to my selection when I something that I like. I'm thinking that green and red would be good additions, but I'm not sure whether the green will be a mint green or a deeper (Kelly or forest?) green.

Norm.

Rev22:17 September 16th, 2011 06:23 PM

johnthed0g,

Quote:

Originally Posted by You (Post 1392789)
PS...I don't do the patent shiny shoes but I have got a pair of "oxfords" that I try to spit polish, never having been in the forces I am not that good at it!

Yes, there's nothing like a good "spit" shine!

The shoe shine stands in many airports here in the States do a great job, and their prices are quite reasonable. Ask if they have a high gloss option, for which they might charge an extra dollar. They may call it a "wax" shine or something similar. Not to bring up a sore subject, but a gratuity of $1.00 per pair of shoes is in order, that being roughly 15% to 20% of the normal fee.

Norm.

johnthed0g September 16th, 2011 06:26 PM

Norm, I think we have discussed the right & wrong times to wear the white/cream Tux /Dinner jacket on here before, I also learned that very dark blue is an acceptable colour for a dinner suit...rather fancy that!

johnthed0g September 16th, 2011 06:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnthed0g (Post 1392789)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rev22:17 (Post 1392808)
johnthed0g,

Yes, there's nothing like a good "spit" shine!

The shoe shine stands in many airports here in the States do a great job, and their prices are quite reasonable. Ask if they have a high gloss option, for which they might charge an extra dollar. They may call it a "wax" shine or something similar. Not to bring up a sore subject, but a gratuity of $1.00 per pair of shoes is in order, that being roughly 15% to 20% of the normal fee.

Norm.

My Oxfords have never set foot off a ship...I have spent many hours trying to shine them properly, they are not bad but nowhere as good as I have seen. If ever I see someone with a beautiful shine on their shoes I do comment, they are invariably pleased!

LisaK September 23rd, 2011 08:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rev22:17 (Post 1392806)
Linda,

I have a white dinner jacket outfit, which I generally bring on cruises where it's appropriate, and a tuxedo that I use for cruises where the white dinner jacket would not be appropriate.

As to accessories, I have a black cummerbund with matching bow tie, a black and silver striped cummerbund with matching bow tie, and a teal vest with matching bow tie. I also have "pocket squares" in each of these colors and a white "pocket square" to use when I wear the black cummerbund and bow tie with the tuxedo. I'll wear a different set on each of the "formal" evenings. When travelling with a female friend or companion, I'll try to coordinate my accessories with her dresses.

I probably will pick up a couple more colors to add to my selection when I something that I like. I'm thinking that green and red would be good additions, but I'm not sure whether the green will be a mint green or a deeper (Kelly or forest?) green.

Norm.

Norm, i would imagine that you look quite dapper!

i like both color and my "little black dress" is dark navy. My last cruise dress splurge was a short red cocktail dress with a lightly beaded bodice and a flirty a-line skirt that swisshed when i dance.

Rev22:17 September 27th, 2011 10:10 PM

LisaK,

Quote:

Originally Posted by You (Post 1393806)
Norm, i would imagine that you look quite dapper!

That's certainly the objective!

Quote:

Originally Posted by You
i like both color and my "little black dress" is dark navy. My last cruise dress splurge was a short red cocktail dress with a lightly beaded bodice and a flirty a-line skirt that swisshed when i dance.

Um-hmmm, sounds quite stunning indeed!

Norm.

LisaK September 28th, 2011 11:35 AM

why thank you Norm

shycruiser June 19th, 2013 08:05 AM

it's a combination of both - luckily most cruises have at least 2 formal nights! :p

for my upcoming one, i will be bringing both a long, lean black evening gown and a fun, red, cocktail dress that hits just above the knees. one side is a strap over my shoulder, the other side is a bat wing. hoping to find a pair of dressy silver heels (not buying just for cruise but want one anyway) to go with both. i also have a formal blazer that's nicely tailored to my body. i will bring it in case it's a bit chilly.

Sistersolo June 19th, 2013 09:40 AM

For my very first cruise, 12 years ago, I bought a classic long, straight black skirt --- and by pure luck discovered that it won't wrinkle no matter how I pack it or how long I sit in it. Once it even got the better part of someone's pina colada spilled on it, and after blotting up the mess it showed no sign of the accident. Needless to say, I would never think of cruising without it!

I have an assortment of tops to go with it: black beaded, gold spangled, blue sparkly, cream lace, and green lace. I get complements on all of the combinations, and people never seem to notice I'm wearing the same skirt all the time.

Ethan171 September 27th, 2013 12:42 AM

Well black is my favorite color and looks great on me so I will wear Black suit with light gray or off white shirt with a matching tie. The shoes will be black too.