CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Styles At Sea (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/styles-sea/)
-   -   Cold Weather Cruising (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/styles-sea/385367-cold-weather-cruising.html)

KDGodwin October 8th, 2011 09:21 AM

Cold Weather Cruising

Okay, so my cruise is in September to Alaska... what type of clothes should I pack? I am an Arizonan, born and raised! I have no clue what to wear in that type of weather. I know in general layers are good for cold weather, but can I wear flip flops around the ship, or leave them all home? Is there any point in even packing shorts, or should I stick to pants and long sleeves? I am an overpacker in general, so packing for hot and cold weather would be way overkill for me. What do ya'll think? ;)

Mike M October 8th, 2011 09:50 AM

I'm probably the worst person to give "cold weather" dressing advice since I live in Minnesota. :D

Layers are the key. I don't think you'll see any temperatures above 75 that time of year but it probably won't be freezing.

I would leave the flip flops at home unless you want something just to wear up to the pool deck/lido and back to the cabin.

I have cruised Alaska in Septmember and had beautiful weather. Temps in upper 60's and lows in the upper 40's and low 50's. Many people consider this cold. I consider this "cool".

The one thing you really do need to pack is a waterproof jacket or warm jacket and rain poncho. You can be pretty sure that at some point on the cruise it will rain. Nothing will make you colder than being wet.

Jeans are something that you may want to pack but they are heavier.

Don't be afraid to re-wear and/or send out for cleaning. It cuts down on the amount of clothes you'll neeed.

Take care and enjoy the beauty of Alaska.
Mike

KDGodwin October 8th, 2011 09:54 AM

Oh thank you!! That helps! We get to those temps in the winter, so that gives me a better idea. On the Princess website it said the lows could get to the low 30's and the highs in the 60's, so that made me nervous. I don't own a lot of cool weather clothing, so I guess I get to do lots of shopping between now and then! Thanks again!
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike M (Post 1396023)
I'm probably the worst person to give "cold weather" dressing advice since I live in Minnesota. :D

Layers are the key. I don't think you'll see any temperatures above 75 that time of year but it probably won't be freezing.

I would leave the flip flops at home unless you want something just to wear up to the pool deck/lido and back to the cabin.

I have cruised Alaska in Septmember and had beautiful weather. Temps in upper 60's and lows in the upper 40's and low 50's. Many people consider this cold. I consider this "cool".

The one thing you really do need to pack is a waterproof jacket or warm jacket and rain poncho. You can be pretty sure that at some point on the cruise it will rain. Nothing will make you colder than being wet.

Jeans are something that you may want to pack but they are heavier.

Don't be afraid to re-wear and/or send out for cleaning. It cuts down on the amount of clothes you'll neeed.

Take care and enjoy the beauty of Alaska.
Mike

colorcrazie October 8th, 2011 02:54 PM

Mike is right...as usual. I've done 2 Alaska cruises, one in May and one in Sept. On the Sept cruise, we ran into some very cold rain. But, I had a good poncho, and just added some layers under that and I was fine. I did need a couple of long sleeved tops, which I usually don't need. Re. the shoes, I would leave the flip flops at home and go for a good pair of sneakers instead. Even for going to the pool and back. But, then again, my feet get cold quickly.
Alaska is spectacular. Don't worry too much about the weather, because whatever you expect won't happen. It just changes a lot sometimes. Have a great time!!!
Marty

KDGodwin October 14th, 2011 04:12 AM

Thanks, Marty! So for sure I will bring some clothes for layering, and good sneakers! What about gloves/mittens and a hat? I am not as worried about on the boat as I am for the days in Alaska. We'l be doing a Kayak Excursion, and maybe some others.

Thanks again!!

LisaK October 14th, 2011 10:25 AM

Krista, i would pack a hat and mittens/gloves just to be on the safe side

KDGodwin October 15th, 2011 01:05 AM

Will do, thanks!!

Manuel October 15th, 2011 07:38 AM

It can get quite cool on the ship when you are near a glacier. Hooded swetshirts worke well for us.

TM