Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Teen Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Teen Cruisers Teens - meet here, meet onboard.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 27th, 2000, 02:39 PM
Jared BN

Default Legal Drinkin Age

I am going on a cruise in December from Royal Caribbean and i am trying to figure out the drinkin age. I am going to the eastern Carribean for one week on the Enchantment of The Seas. So if anyone has been on this ship and has any info please reply. I am also wonderin how strict the place is and how they work with the drinks. Thanks, Jared...
Sponsored Links
Old November 27th, 2000, 04:12 PM
Passenger

Default RE: Legal Drinkin Age

The legal drinking age is 21. Why do you need to drink?? There are a lot more fun things to do than get drunk, and it's really not a good idea. I'm assuming you're under 21 since you're at the teens board and you're asking so it's also illegal! Sorry. Maybe in a couple years. Be careful, whatever you decide to do.
Old January 2nd, 2001, 12:53 AM
Passenger

I agree, you don't need to drink to have fun!
Old January 11th, 2001, 04:22 PM
Art

The Drinking age is 21 and when you check in if you're under 21 they punch a hole in your cruise card.
Old March 3rd, 2009, 08:08 PM
Passenger

on a cruise if your parent signs with permission you can drink at 18
Old March 3rd, 2009, 10:47 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Djcarolina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Buffet
on a cruise if your parent signs with permission you can drink at 18
Incorrect

Royal Caribbean discontinued this policy in 2005, allowing individuals 18-20, traveling with a parent or guardian to sign a waiver and purchase or consume beer or wine. The legal drinking age for all passengers departing on Royal Caribbean Internation (or any major cruise line for that matter) is 21 years of age.

The exception to this rule is RCI cruises departing from European ports, where the 18-20 beer and wine policy is applied.

Anyone caught drinking onboard a Royal Caribbean vessel under the legal drinking age is subject to onboard fines and/or expulsion at the next port of call (call my bluff if you'd like i've known a kid its happened to and his parents nearly killed him).

Drinking in most ports (except for certain US Virgin Islands) is 18, and is loosely enforced. If you must drink, do so in port, but don't go to an onboard activity if your smashed.

Shipboard Seapass cards are marked in 5 ways for guests under 21:

Guests 17 and younger have 2 holes punched in their seapass, a shadow on their card, an M1 imprinted on the front, and an age code built into their folio number in addition to their age being displayed prominently whenever the card is swiped.

Guests 18-20 have 1 hole punched in their seapass, a shadow on their card, an M2 imprinted on the front, and an age code built into the folio as well as the age being brought up when the card is swiped.

Guests 21+ have no hole, no shadow, no M (minor) code, no folio code and their age comes up as...21+ lol

All drink purchases are routed through a computer system and you can't use a friends or brother's card because the picture is also displayed.

Don't try bringing alcohol back on the ship unless you buy mini bottles that have no metal on them and put them in your pockets. Water bottles are checked unless sealed and alcohol brought in its bottle is tagged and returned to the guest's cabin at the end of the cruise ONLY if the guest is 21.

Oasis of the Seas
Allure of the Seas
Freedom of the Seas
Mariner of the Seas
Navigator of the Seas
Grandeur of the Seas
Enchantment of the Seas
Brilliance of the Seas
Jewel of the Seas
Monarch of the Seas
Voyager of the Seas
Sovereign of the Seas
Fantasy
Sensation
Fascination
Carnival Glory
Carnival Valor
Carnival Conquest
Cunard Queen Mary 2
Disney Magic/Wonder
Cruise Total as of July 2014: 118 Cruises
Old March 3rd, 2009, 10:50 PM
Passenger

Incorrect

Royal Caribbean discontinued this policy in 2005, allowing individuals 18-20, traveling with a parent or guardian to sign a waiver and purchase or consume beer or wine. The legal drinking age for all passengers departing on Royal Caribbean Internation (or any major cruise line for that matter) is 21 years of age.

The exception to this rule is RCI cruises departing from European ports, where the 18-20 beer and wine policy is applied.

Anyone caught drinking onboard a Royal Caribbean vessel under the legal drinking age is subject to onboard fines and/or expulsion at the next port of call (call my bluff if you'd like i've known a kid its happened to and his parents nearly killed him).

Drinking in most ports (except for certain US Virgin Islands) is 18, and is loosely enforced. If you must drink, do so in port, but don't go to an onboard activity if your smashed.

Shipboard Seapass cards are marked in 5 ways for guests under 21:

Guests 17 and younger have 2 holes punched in their seapass, a shadow on their card, an M1 imprinted on the front, and an age code built into their folio number in addition to their age being displayed prominently whenever the card is swiped.

Guests 18-20 have 1 hole punched in their seapass, a shadow on their card, an M2 imprinted on the front, and an age code built into the folio as well as the age being brought up when the card is swiped.

Guests 21+ have no hole, no shadow, no M (minor) code, no folio code and their age comes up as...21+ lol

All drink purchases are routed through a computer system and you can't use a friends or brother's card because the picture is also displayed.

Don't try bringing alcohol back on the ship unless you buy mini bottles that have no metal on them and put them in your pockets. Water bottles are checked unless sealed and alcohol brought in its bottle is tagged and returned to the guest's cabin at the end of the cruise ONLY if the guest is 21.[/quote]

Incorrect
I WAS NOT TALKING SPECIFICALLY ABOUT ROYAL CARIBBEAN
Old March 4th, 2009, 12:55 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Ainsley

ok well i dont see the point of you bringing up a post that is almost 9 years old. and you really dont need to be such a smart a$$
Carnival Conquest-02.22.04
Carnival Conquest-02.06.05
Carnival Legend-3.25.06
Royal Caribbean Sovereign OTS-4.16.07
Carnival Fantasy 4.28.08
Carnival Fantasy 10.27.08
Norwegian Pearl 3.13.11
Carnival Elation 11.14.11

Future Cruises
Carnival Ecstasy 5.21.12
Old March 4th, 2009, 12:59 AM
Admiral

Well then whom were you referring to?

All of RCI's lines have a drinking age of 21 when sailing from the US that includes Azamara, Pullmantur(spanish line), Royal Caribbean, Celebrity and CDF (french line).

All of Carnival Corp's lines have a drinking age of 21 to include Carnival Cruise Lines, Holland America Line, Cunard Line, Princess Cruises, Iberocruceros, Seabourn (Yachts), AIDA Cruises, Costa Cruises, P&O US and Australia, and Ocean Village.

Norwegian Cruise Lines Has a drinking age of 21

Disney Cruise Line has a drinking age of 21

Orient has a drinking age of 21

Crystal Cruises has a drinking age of 21

Radisson Seven Seas Cruises has a drinking age of 21

Imperial Majesty has a drinking age of 21

I don't seem to be able to find a cruise line with a ship over 30,000 gross tons that has a drinking age of less than 21, unless certain circumstances warrant a change in drinking age due to the cruise leaving from a country other than the United States. Since the OP is sailing from the US, such circumstances wouldn't apply.

Oasis of the Seas
Allure of the Seas
Freedom of the Seas
Mariner of the Seas
Navigator of the Seas
Grandeur of the Seas
Enchantment of the Seas
Brilliance of the Seas
Jewel of the Seas
Monarch of the Seas
Voyager of the Seas
Sovereign of the Seas
Fantasy
Sensation
Fascination
Carnival Glory
Carnival Valor
Carnival Conquest
Cunard Queen Mary 2
Disney Magic/Wonder
Old March 4th, 2009, 01:13 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via AIM to bbozeman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ainsley
ok well i dont see the point of you bringing up a post that is almost 9 years old. and you really dont need to be such a smart a$$
yes, mr. buffet why on earth would you bring up a post from 2001? obviously the guest who started it is probably not looking for an answer 8 years later lol.....thats just considering that unless they were 13 or younger at the time of posting, they are already over 21 now haha.
Old March 4th, 2009, 06:37 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via AIM to nace0

Weird, how did you find a 9 year old post. Might as well start a new one. Great post about drinking age btw. Uhh going into more detail on those small bottles, if i get caught whats the conciquences and you probably mean those small 4 ounce bottles of vodka shots that they sell for decoration. right?

Administrator
http://www.techzhaven.com
http://nac.iblogger.org
Old March 4th, 2009, 09:27 PM
Admiral

Theyre actually not for decoration, most of them are the size needed to mix a specific drink. They used them here in SC for a LOOOONG time as a way of having liquor pre-measured, but many bar-goers like the new bottle system better because an extra tip holds the bottle over your drink for a couple extra seconds...

Anywho- As far as trying to bring it on and getting caught I can't imagine them enforcing the full extent of what they could (expulsion from the ship). My guess would be that they'd confiscate the alcohol, notify your parents and scold you in their indian accent!

Oasis of the Seas
Allure of the Seas
Freedom of the Seas
Mariner of the Seas
Navigator of the Seas
Grandeur of the Seas
Enchantment of the Seas
Brilliance of the Seas
Jewel of the Seas
Monarch of the Seas
Voyager of the Seas
Sovereign of the Seas
Fantasy
Sensation
Fascination
Carnival Glory
Carnival Valor
Carnival Conquest
Cunard Queen Mary 2
Disney Magic/Wonder
Old March 5th, 2009, 09:15 PM
Cruise Maniac

Lmfao. Who knows maybe ill try that out. haha

Administrator
Old March 6th, 2009, 12:12 AM
Admiral

It works, while I won't personally admit to doing it, i've been close to people who've done so sucessfully.

Oasis of the Seas
Allure of the Seas
Freedom of the Seas
Mariner of the Seas
Navigator of the Seas
Grandeur of the Seas
Enchantment of the Seas
Brilliance of the Seas
Jewel of the Seas
Monarch of the Seas
Voyager of the Seas
Sovereign of the Seas
Fantasy
Sensation
Fascination
Carnival Glory
Carnival Valor
Carnival Conquest
Cunard Queen Mary 2
Disney Magic/Wonder
Old March 7th, 2009, 10:36 PM
Passenger

[quote="Djcarolina"]

quote]

Im sorry to prove the great DJ wrong, but copied directly from the NCL website: "With the exception of Alaska and Hawaii itineraries, (Where you must be 21 years of age to consume or purchase alcohol of any kind) NCL permits guests between the ages of eighteen (18) and twenty (20) to purchase and personally consume wine and beer while on NCL ships with the consent of an accompanying parent or legal guardian on the same sailing once the vessel is outside the US state territorial waters (3 miles out). Complete details and special consent form are only available onboard at the Reception Desk"
Old March 7th, 2009, 11:26 PM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to sammydee

[quote="j-unit"]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djcarolina

quote]

Im sorry to prove the great DJ wrong, but copied directly from the NCL website: "With the exception of Alaska and Hawaii itineraries, (Where you must be 21 years of age to consume or purchase alcohol of any kind) NCL permits guests between the ages of eighteen (18) and twenty (20) to purchase and personally consume wine and beer while on NCL ships with the consent of an accompanying parent or legal guardian on the same sailing once the vessel is outside the US state territorial waters (3 miles out). Complete details and special consent form are only available onboard at the Reception Desk"

amen.
3. Norwegian Dawn 2003
4. Norwegian Crown 2004
5. Royal Caribbean Voyager of the Seas 2005
6. Princess Crown 2006
7. Carnival Victory 2006
8. Queen Mary 2 2007
9. Royal Caribbean Explorer of the Seas 2007
10. Carnival Victory 2007
11. Norwegian Spirit 2008

Future Cruises:
Princess Caribbean June 29th 2009
Old March 8th, 2009, 01:50 AM
Admiral

I stand corrected. Apparently you can consume alcohol on NCL and while this does take away some fight from my initial smartass response, the relevance to the original post is still not there. Unfortunately the original poster still won't be able to benefit from this since, well A. its a RCI ship and B. it was 8 years ago. However I want to state once more I WAS WRONG ABOUT THE DRINKING AGE ON NCL, IT IS 18 YEARS OLD WHEN SAILING FROM THE CONTINENTAL US, WITH A SIGNED WAIVER AND COVERS BEER AND WINE ONLY.

Oasis of the Seas
Allure of the Seas
Freedom of the Seas
Mariner of the Seas
Navigator of the Seas
Grandeur of the Seas
Enchantment of the Seas
Brilliance of the Seas
Jewel of the Seas
Monarch of the Seas
Voyager of the Seas
Sovereign of the Seas
Fantasy
Sensation
Fascination
Carnival Glory
Carnival Valor
Carnival Conquest
Cunard Queen Mary 2
Disney Magic/Wonder
Old March 8th, 2009, 06:35 PM
Cruise Maniac

Well i look 18 and even if i cant buy drinks onboard im sure ill bring or my dad will. not a big deal though

Administrator
Old March 13th, 2009, 10:59 AM
Cruise Maniac

if your really concerned about bringing alcohol on board just put some kinda of clear liquor of your choice in water bottles, works every time. however my brother just put the liquor bottle in his bag and they never said a word, i don't think they really care.
Old March 13th, 2009, 09:30 PM
Cruise Maniac

sounds good.

Administrator
Old March 19th, 2009, 04:09 PM
Passenger

you can even bring your own beer if you want - just make sure you pack it so it doesn't explode on you. i've only been on carnival, but the workers don't care even if you have a different kind than what the ship sells.
Old March 19th, 2009, 06:42 PM
Admiral

Many cruise lines do not allow you to bring alcohol onboard. Its not the ships workers that you have to worry about though. If you can get it onboard your ok, but the pier screens every bag (and has it checked by K9 for drugs) and in many cases will confiscate any liquid-containing bottles in luggage for safety and revenue reasons.

Oasis of the Seas
Allure of the Seas
Freedom of the Seas
Mariner of the Seas
Navigator of the Seas
Grandeur of the Seas
Enchantment of the Seas
Brilliance of the Seas
Jewel of the Seas
Monarch of the Seas
Voyager of the Seas
Sovereign of the Seas
Fantasy
Sensation
Fascination
Carnival Glory
Carnival Valor
Carnival Conquest
Cunard Queen Mary 2
Disney Magic/Wonder
Old March 19th, 2009, 06:59 PM
Cruise Maniac

thats true, ive heard stories of angry passengers who thought it was ok to bring it onboard, only to complain later about it being "stolen" out of their bags.
Old March 19th, 2009, 07:12 PM
Admiral

Send a message via Skype™ to cruiseeeeaddict

i've heard that even if they do confiscate it that you get it back at the end of the cruise, is that true?

my mom always takes the little bottles of wine she likes for the cabin, diet ginger ale, and little bottles of water. she's never had a problem but she also understands that they could take it. i guess it can't hurt to at least try!

Past Cruises
Navigator of the Seas - 2005, 2007, 2009, 2010
Mariner of the Seas - 2007
Liberty of the Seas - 2008
Carnival Liberty - 2009, 2010, 2011, 2013 B2B
Carnival Miracle - April & June 2011
Carnival Dream - 2011, 2012
Carnival Glory - June & September 2012
Carnival Imagination - 2013
Old March 19th, 2009, 07:15 PM
Admiral

I have seen minors (under 21) try and smuggle some booze back on the ship from a port even in little quantities or in water bottles and they AND their entire family was kicked off the ship and forced to find a plane ride home on their own. Not worth it in my opinion...

CRUISES I HAVE TAKEN SO FAR...
Disney Wonder (2003)
Carnival Inspiration (2004)
Carnival Victory (2005)
Carnival Miracle 2006-2007 (New Years Cruise)
Carnival Liberty (June 9, 2007)
Carnival Glory (July 5, 2008)
Carnival Inspiration (March 28, 2009*18th birthday Cruise!!)

Old March 19th, 2009, 07:19 PM
Admiral

Send a message via Skype™ to cruiseeeeaddict

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Live_4_Cruises
I have seen minors (under 21) try and smuggle some booze back on the ship from a port even in little quantities or in water bottles and they AND their entire family was kicked off the ship and forced to find a plane ride home on their own. Not worth it in my opinion...
wow, that would be horrrrrrible!
i'd never try to smuggle anything because it's not worth my vacation. i just don't care when my mom does at the beginning because all they could do is take it since she's obviously over 21.

Past Cruises
Navigator of the Seas - 2005, 2007, 2009, 2010
Mariner of the Seas - 2007
Liberty of the Seas - 2008
Carnival Liberty - 2009, 2010, 2011, 2013 B2B
Carnival Miracle - April & June 2011
Carnival Dream - 2011, 2012
Carnival Glory - June & September 2012
Carnival Imagination - 2013
Old March 19th, 2009, 08:32 PM
Cruise Maniac

Yeah, ive heard both, sometimes they kick them off, and sometimes they dont, it just depends on the line. And also, I know that they will give it back to you at the end if you buy it on the ship or in port and check it in with them, but im pretty sure people dont get back confiscated alcohol, because the port authority and customs are the ones who will confiscate it, not the cruise line.

Im pretty sure thats how it works, hopefully DJ Carolina can pop in and verify/correct that info
Old March 19th, 2009, 08:35 PM
Admiral

First off- yes they CAN kick all involved parties off the ship if a minor attempts to bring alcohol back on (and are unsucessful). Sometimes they do, sometimes they dont. Depends on how pissy Punjab is feeling. I have had it happen on my ship and to a kid i knew, not a pleasant plane ride home from my understanding. Also, the confiscated alcohol is usually returned like knives, guns etc. by the port authority. I say guns because often off duty detectives will think its ok since theyre a L.E.O. that its ok for them to bring a gun since they have a permit for concealed weapon, not the case.

Oasis of the Seas
Allure of the Seas
Freedom of the Seas
Mariner of the Seas
Navigator of the Seas
Grandeur of the Seas
Enchantment of the Seas
Brilliance of the Seas
Jewel of the Seas
Monarch of the Seas
Voyager of the Seas
Sovereign of the Seas
Fantasy
Sensation
Fascination
Carnival Glory
Carnival Valor
Carnival Conquest
Cunard Queen Mary 2
Disney Magic/Wonder
Old March 19th, 2009, 08:39 PM
Cruise Maniac

haha yes, i think many people like the detectives you mentioned think that they are still in America when the set foot on that ship.
Old March 19th, 2009, 09:00 PM
Admiral

Technically you are. Its funny: The laws still apply, but ur rights don't!

Oasis of the Seas
Allure of the Seas
Freedom of the Seas
Mariner of the Seas
Navigator of the Seas
Grandeur of the Seas
Enchantment of the Seas
Brilliance of the Seas
Jewel of the Seas
Monarch of the Seas
Voyager of the Seas
Sovereign of the Seas