I'm the family cruise editor here at CruiseMates.com. I'm finishing up an article which gives parents advice on what's there to do on a cruise for teens. I was hoping to get feedback from you, teens who have been on a cruise before. Please give me your thoughts on the following topics:
1) Which is your favorite cruise ship? Why?
2) Which cruise ship or cruise line has the best teen activities in their teen program? What were some of your favorite organized activities?
3) Which areas to you like to cruise best? Caribbean, Alaska, etc.
4) What's the most important thing to keep in mind when you go on your first cruise?
I'd appreciate any additional information you can give me as soon as possible.
Thanks so much for your help!
Luisa Frey Gaynor
Im 13.Well I've been on five cruises(Alaska twice, Caribbean, Transatlantic and an Asian one from Hong Kong).Two of them where on Royal Caribbean and my favourite ship was Radiance of the Seas, the kids programs where the best, the food was probably the best, the cabin was the cleanest(catagory FF) and it had the same things that the Explorer of the Seas had, but with 1000 less people. On the Asain cruise, i went on Holland America Line. Their kids thing (Club HAL) was pretty good, consitering there was only 35 kids on board. In the Carribean i went on the Explorer of the Seas and it was great, but everything was a bit over the top and there where too many people.
The best cruise for service, by far was the transatlantic cruise, i went on CUNARDS Queen Elizabeth 2, which was great because its one of the old ocean liners, and you could kind've see that in its public rooms. It had no huge atrium, but a few lounges, which was pretty good....but there where only 15 kids on the boat which wasn't great.
So after saying all that. I'd have to say my favourite cruise was Alaska(because i live in Vancouver, i just have to drive 20 minutes to the terminal), the best boat was QE2, and the best kids programs where Adventure Ocean, on RCCL.
Hi, my nmae is Jamie...and I love that you asked!! I am going on my 3rd cruise this summer...and it is truly addicting. Last year aboard the Norwegian NORWAY I met 3 amazing teenagers who are now some of my best friends. The NORWAY may not have all of the best accomodations as some of the newer ships, but as far as the teen crew goes, it rocks. We had movie nights, pool parties, teen lunches, game nights, babe and hunk hunts, sports days, and more! First of all, my family is big on traveling and I have been to Hawaii once, Cancun five times, Disney World 3 times, California ( Disney land) once, New Orleans and others, so my travel experince has been pretty broad. On both of my cruises I went to the Carribean and the Bahamas and I don't think I want to cruise elsewhere. I am 16 and the best advice I can give you is to be open to making new friends and DON"T BE SHY! Hey, if the people you meet are wierd, you'll never see them again, right? So, let loose and have the time of your life!
Hi my name's Mark.
I've been on nine cruises and have been on numerous vacations around the world. We've been on RCL, Celebrity, Princess, NCL (ten years ago... i was seven) and (unfortunately) Carnival Cruise lines. My family's vote for best vacation is definitely a cruise, considering there is something for everyone. We went to an all-inclusive in Turks and Caicos last year for new years and we spent the ENTIRE time comparing it to a cruise!!! The level of service and the whole vacation experience has no match on land! Here's some short answers to your questions...
1) My favorite cruise ship is definitely the Celebrity Millennium... i've been on nine cruises and it was the best we've been on! The cruise staff was excellent and the ship was beautiful. The cabins were gorgeous too (the balcony was a really nice touch!)! My least favorite would be any of the Carnival ships which were ugly and were full of drunk people with ugly beer bellies and tatoos that used language found in a trailer park. and the cruise director and staff were really pushy and rude to most of the people on the ship. And it wasn't just an isolated experience... many of my parents friends and some of mine have been on Carnival... and never went back!! You have never experienced Gaudy until you board a carnival ship...
2) Royal Caribbean had the best teen activities i think, the nightclubs were really fun... the caribbean beach parties were really good on all of the ships! My parents still like Royal Caribbean's kids programs the best of all the cruise lines we've been on. Celebrity's were also realy good too but not as organized as on RCCL. Carnival's were ok but not that great considering they tout themselves as a family cruise. Princess' were kind of weak... but they don't like kids that much in general anyways so you can't expect much... they did try!
3) Caribbean because it is SO much warmer then home and there are always a lot of kids to meet up with during spring break... and I like the islands too. (great shopping in puerto rico!!) Europe was really fun too for the scenery!
4) Don't go into it with any expectations, you will most probably be impressed but I know of some families or couples who have gone on cruises expecting something glamorous but instead they got... Carnival!! No just joking, you must remember that all cruise lines are different, if your friends went on Celebrity or Crystal don't ask them for advice if you are going on carnival!!!