Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Teen Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Teen Cruisers Teens - meet here, meet onboard.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 24th, 2003, 10:48 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Holland America for teens??

My grandparents are considering taking our whole family on a cruise. Their cruise travel agent was talking about this new Holland America ship that is geared more for teens. Do you guys know anything about this? How would a Holland America ship be for a 14 (but I'll most likely be 15 or 16 when we go) year old teen? I mean, I am super outgoing, but will there only be like 3 other teens? Would Celebrity be better for me? And also, how would I deal with hanging out with the people that I'll hopefully meet AND playing with my 6 and 9 year old cousins? HELP PLEASE! Love, Anna
Sponsored Links
Old August 26th, 2003, 09:18 PM
Yeoman

Send a message via AIM to Wayne
Default Re: Holland America for teens??

Hey Anna. The cruise travel agent is probably referring about the new "Z-class" ships. The first one, ZUIDERDAM, came out in December of last year and the second, OOSTERDAM, just debuted last month. HAL claims that this class of ships is targeting towards the younger age. In my opinion, these ships are way of the "old" HAL image.

The interiors are "exotic". Gone are the welcoming, elegant looking colors and these "Z-class" have bright, wild colors. These ships are big, weighing in about 85,000 grt and are based off the popular Carnival Spirit-class. First time in a newbuild for HAL is a specially designed center for teens and kids. There are two rooms in this center. One is for the small cruisers and the other is for the teens. Very similar to RCI's RHAPSODY of the SEAS. Also note that this class is design especially for the Caribbean, meaning younger age cruisers.

I heard from fellow previous HAL cruisers, they said that the ZUIDERDAM is their number unlike ship in the HAL fleet. I guess this explains HAL's idea is working. The number of teens onboard is mainly based on the time you guys are planning. Spring break, holidays, and summer usually has many kids on mainstream/mass market cruise ships.

Now, Celebrity. Celebrity is around the same level as HAL in terms of service. From what I heard, Celebrity usually has a unusual amount of kids on their holiday sailings. Celebrity does not have an amount on kids onboard, meaning you can be stuck with 100 other teens your age. If I go on Celebrity, I would go only on the Millenium-class. These include SUMMIT, CONSTELLATION, MILLENIUM, and other big one.

Now, it all depends on you. Carnival Cruise Line's passenger are more of the party kind. RCI I thought was ok. NCL has freestyle cruising(dine anytime, anywhere; flexible disembarkation) and a good teen facility on the STAR and DAWN. If you really want to party, go with Carnival.
Old August 27th, 2003, 12:41 PM
Jodie

Default Re: Re: Holland America for teens??

Anna - I'm the mom of a 16 yr old boy. Our family was on the Holland America Zuiderdam in July. Our son is incredibly outgoing (loves to dance, athletic, likes to look good, likes clothes, class officer etc) and I believe he's referred to as a "hottie" by the girls at his school.... he had a great time. There was a teen disco (that mostly everyone just met at and then hung out after that) and plenty of time to just chill by the pool. He met about 15 other kids who he emails and IM's all the time. They would have pasta in the Lido at midnight and wander around. He loved it. We are already looking at another cruise next summer. I think it depends on when and where you go... we went during summer break to the Western Caribbean. If your whole family is going, I think the Zuiderdam would be a good choice... plenty for the grandparents and plenty for you too ! Also - for the 6 and 9 yr olds... there's great kids club
Old August 28th, 2003, 05:15 PM
Cruise Maniac

Thank you SO MUCH for replying! I didn't think anyone would. Your comments were really informative. To Jodie, I think I am a lot like your son, which makes me think that I would have a good time also . I still keep in touch with my cruise friends and exchanged cruise pictures,etc. And to Wayne, I was so excited when you mentioned Rhapsody of the Seas,because that was the only cruise I have been on as a teenager, and I had the time of my life! I think that you should be the new editor or whatever they need because I have seen a lot of the comments you made and they are great!
Thanks to both of you! Now if I hear plans about a possible vacation, I will be excited instead of feeling nervous that I will feel guilty if I don't have a good time and my grandparents spent all this money on a cruise!
Old August 28th, 2003, 05:31 PM
Danp

My friends took the Zuiderdam in July and met lots of teens (he has the pictures to prove it) and he had a great time! Zuiderdam and Oosterdam were built to accmodate more "families." My friends did mention that there was not as many teen geared activities, that there was more on Celebrity... I was extreamly surprised! I had read about how much of a bore Celebrity was! But go with high spirts and have an awesome time!
Old August 28th, 2003, 06:34 PM
stac

Default Re: Re: Holland America for teens??

hey hope you had fun i have been on celebrity before and it was so much fun and its not boring at all why do you think that?
Old August 28th, 2003, 08:55 PM
Cruise Maniac

I REALLY hope I get to use this information and go on a cruise. Good thing I'm the favorite grandchild, I'll have a lot of influence...
Old August 29th, 2003, 05:24 PM
Danp

, yeah true! I didnt know for sure that Celebrity was a bore, I had only read that it wasnt as "teen friendly." Sorry for the misunderstanding!