Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Teen Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Teen Cruisers Teens - meet here, meet onboard.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 17th, 2003, 09:39 PM
Passenger

Default Teen Activities Survey

Hi Everyone ... all you Cruisemaniacs !

I would like to know what are the activities that young adults between the ages of 15 - 18 would enjoy doing onboard a cruise ship. What would you guys do other then rock climbing wall, ice skating ring, teen disco etc. I would like to hear your ideas of fun and wicked stuff . What kind of activities could make you guys come and participate within a ship's entertainment program?
I've enjoyed reading all your posts + feedbacks and I love to hear your thoughts about this one, too.

kitty
Sponsored Links
Old October 17th, 2003, 09:52 PM
Wayne y

Default Re: Teen Activities Survey

Rockwall, teen disco, and going to the adult-only shows. They seems to be more funny during the comedy ones.
Old October 17th, 2003, 10:06 PM
Tracy Ndiyob

Kitty...r u a teen?
Old October 18th, 2003, 12:28 AM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Teen Activities Survey

Hi Kitty,

I hope this won't scare you too much ..... I'm a 23 year old chic who works for cruise lines
Old October 18th, 2003, 06:08 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to DanPolulak

Hey Kitty...
Most of us teens (or the ones that I meet) dont use the teen program other then for the teen disco. Its not because we dont like you guys, its just because the activities can be somewhat childish. We like to do more active stuff, and things that deal with other teens, like icebreakers. I also like going to the teen disco, and just talking with all the people to meet... I will make better suggestions when I think of them...
Dan

P.S. What ship/line do you work for? Can you give us some more info about you?

RIP- Cruisemates Teen Host
Old October 18th, 2003, 07:12 PM
Yeoman

Send a message via AIM to Wayne

I can't agree more to Dan. Sometimes its just too childish. Also, I think it would be better to schedule activities in the afternoon and have many back-to-back activities all at once. Thats how they do it on Carnival ships and many teens really got hooked into it. On my Royal Caribbean Cruises, the activities are so spread out that many teens forgot about the later activites... I hope this helps.
Old October 18th, 2003, 11:14 PM
Passenger

Hi Guys,

For safety reasons (especially on the net) I'm a little bit concerned to give out personal info about myself (for the sake of my own privacy).
Of course, I do trust you guys and I know what you mean by 'too childish stuff' ..... that's why I've been asking for your honest opinions.
I've been offered the opportunity to be part of (and maybe improve) the onboard entertainment of cruising teens. I'm not talking about Camp Carnival activities! ... I'm talking about potencional activities for young adults between the ages of 16 to 18.
I do appreciate any and all your suggestions.
Although, I've worked on cruise ships for a few years now, I'm not an old and out-of-style person .... c'mon I'm only 23 years old and I can still totally relate to all you teens.
Hey, and I'm more than happy to answer any of your cruise related questions (if I can + if they not personal) ..... and you never know, we might met before with some of you guys on your previous cruises
Please keep me posted on your needs for teen activities!
Old October 20th, 2003, 04:06 PM
Erik.

Kareoke is always fun...
Old October 20th, 2003, 05:20 PM
Maxie

My fondest memory on the cruise's i've been on (all Disney Magic) were just hanging out in the room with out my parents around and nice CM's who i could talk to. For actual activities, i would say the scavage hunt was fun. The only problem with that is the teens were running all over the boat and jumping down many stairs to go faster, some adult guests may not have appreciated that very well. we didn't get in their way though. Going out to lunch with the CM's and the other people i was cruising with was fun too. Going to a certain spot with everyone to watch us sailaway from an island was fun and allowed lots of picture opportunities. Other then that the dances were fun too depending on who was there and if they were dancing. The second cruise dancing didn't do really well but the karaokee was fun. Looking at my navigator i think i hit all the highlights. coloring was fun too because it was just relaxing to sit and color but i wouldn't like that all the time.

hope that helps,
Maxie
Old October 20th, 2003, 05:27 PM
Passenger

Thanks Erik and Maxie !
Old October 20th, 2003, 07:07 PM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to Ty Send a message via Yahoo to Ty

I personally like the sports tournaments and the introduction to the other teens, thats me, i dont know about other people
Old October 20th, 2003, 08:03 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to DanPolulak

Yeah it sounds kind of childish... but when I was little they had the water slide open one night just for us little kids, probably one of the best times I have ever had because I was so little and it was so much fun... So maybe some pool games, or interactive stuff is always fun in my opinion.

Post Edited (10-20-03 21:02)

RIP- Cruisemates Teen Host
Old October 20th, 2003, 08:54 PM
Benny

I suggest the Voyager of the Seas I went on it summer 2003 best experience of my life.
Old October 20th, 2003, 09:23 PM
Maxie

just curious, you can say no if its too personal, but what cruise lines have you worked for? what degrees are needed to work with kids on the ship? and how selective our cruise ship jobs?

you don't have to answer any of these questions if you don't want but i was just wondering them.
Old October 21st, 2003, 07:32 PM
cruisekid

Best activity i have ever done on a ship was on explorer of the seas through the teen program. they had you and a friend get together, gave you a poloroid camera, and had you go take 10 pictures of the hottest girls you could find!!! not only did we end up meeting some really hot chicks through this but had a blast doing it! and you can imagine how this can end up;........... lots of fun
Old October 22nd, 2003, 02:53 AM
Passenger

Hey Maxie,

I would say it is relatively easy to get a cruise ship job but of course first you need to know who to contact for that particular position + have a compatable resume with your application. You can get a shipboard position trhough an agent or just show up for an advertised recruiting event (I've seen many in newspapers and on the net)
As per youth counselors (youth staff onboard ships) .... as a matter of fact, companies are always looking for and hiring for this position. Especially now, that cruising has become extremely family orientated. If you want to get hired, you definetly need childcare experience (camps, teaching or kindergarden) and/or degree in childcare. Once you get hired your contract will last for 5-7 months but if you would wish to try it out first for a shorter period you could be hired as a seasonal employee for couple of months during the major holidays (from Haloween to January or from Easter to the end of Summer) when most of the kids come to cruise with their families. The salary is not the best ( 1000 - 1300/month) but you can make extra cash from babysitting and tips (normally all this extra cash is put in a pool and gets devided by the youth counselors on board after every cruise). There should be 8 to 15 youth staff working on board each ship (on most of the ships, especially for major cruise lines: Royal, Carnival, Holland America etc.with dedicated kids program services)
Just one more thing ... 95% of the people who have ever worked for any of the cruise lines will always remember the 'good old sailor days'. I would never regret any moment spent on ships. Yep, sometimes it could be hard work but most of the times it's an one of a kind awesome experience !
Old October 24th, 2003, 04:26 PM
Maxie

thank you very much for the answer. it helps. i'd love to go into being a cruise counselor with the teens. i've had soo many great experiences on cruise ships because of them. hope your survey goes well,
Maxie