Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Teen Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Teen Cruisers Teens - meet here, meet onboard.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 25th, 2004, 09:28 PM
First Mate

Default I got a job at Hollister!! :)

My Strange Little Story

Well today I decided to go to the Hollister open group interviews for a job they have every Tuesday. So I go there, and see like 12 other people there and I fill out my appilcation. They ask us some just stupid/funny/random questions like "what was your most embarrasing moment" and yadda yadda. So afterwords they say that they will call us back between Thursday and Friday if we fit what type of person they were looking for. So I get home, and 2 seconds later the manager calls me and tells me I'm HIRIED. WTF? Like seriously I barely got home. So they ask me to come down there because they want me to start working tomorrow, so I get there and sign all the stuff. Then they tell me to come tomorrow with 100$ or so to go shopping...because I mean if you're working at a clothing store at least show you wear their stuff. It was just a bit weird when he said don't wear any makeup because we're supposed to have the "California just got out of the beach look.

Hell at least I have a job.
Sponsored Links
Old May 25th, 2004, 09:30 PM
katie*

Default Re: I got a job at Hollister!! :)

omg im so jealous i love that store!
Old May 25th, 2004, 10:44 PM
First Mate

Never mind! I'm quitting I just read their appreance form and its ridiculous! Your fingernails can't be longer than 1/4 inch and they even say that a bellybutton ring is part of the "Hollister look".

And their starting wage is Min. wage ($6.75) and by the time taxes is taken out its only like 4 dollars.

I dont feel like working there anymore...so superficial
Old May 25th, 2004, 11:07 PM
hkw1489

give it a chance-you might like it.
Old May 25th, 2004, 11:41 PM
First Mate

Send a message via AIM to SoccerQT116

6.75 are u serious...minimum wage in jersey is sooo much lower...i make 5.15 an hour. and i work at an arcade/mini golf/batting cage center. And i fix games and the batting cages and do parties and a bunch of other annoying stuff.

Previous Cruises:
Carnival Conquest: April 4th-11th 2004
Carnival Victory: April 20th-27th 2003
Old May 25th, 2004, 11:44 PM
First Mate

Send a message via AIM to countthestars420

i get paid 9$ an hour... cash... for sitting on a big comfy couch.. and watching degrassi and eating ice cream.... =P

Old May 26th, 2004, 12:18 AM
Ariana

I work at Abercrombie, also owned by the company who runs Hollister, and we have the same rules. It's so much fun working there, and so easy. I really wouldn't recommend you quitting unless you're in it for the money...because the wages suck.
Old May 26th, 2004, 01:32 AM
First Mate

The Hollister I am working at was doing poorly (associates weren't wearing Hollister clothing, etc..) so one of the higher ranked people flew in to fix things and now, its become hell and everyone that worked there that I know quit.

Maybe I'm in it for the money...but isn't that what a job is supposed to be for? Plus, I'm going to be in Europe for a month so I'll have to fire myself by July anyways. I really don't want to work at a place that only hires you based on the way you look. I knew they did it, but never to the extent that I saw.

Plus, tomorrow they want me to come in with no make up, 100$ to go shopping for their stuff while we try them on and they tell us if its good or not. I don't wanna blow 100 bucks which will take me forever to even break even with the rate they charge.

I'll go back tomorrow, see how it is.
Old May 26th, 2004, 09:54 PM
First Mate

Send a message via AIM to Sara754

ahaha me too Kor.. except I get a pathetic 5 dollars an hour..sucks but its still money

Carnival Destiny 2004
Royal Caribbean Adventure of the Seas 2005
Royal Caribbean Empress of the Seas 2006
Crown Princess 2007
Carnival Valor 2009

Carnival Freedom June 2011!
Old May 26th, 2004, 11:27 PM
First Mate

Send a message via AIM to countthestars420

lol

Old May 27th, 2004, 01:13 AM
First Mate

Well I told them that I don't think I can abide by their rules (which are absolutely ridiculous) so hopefully I'll be able to get the other job I wanted which was swim instructor for kids at the Gym which pays 25$ an hour Much better than 6.75
Old May 27th, 2004, 10:05 AM
ScottZ

$6.75 isn't too bad if your just starting out with no experience. Sometimes working in retail can be tough, but it isn't as hard as most jobs.

This summer I am interning as a stylist at Atelier Versace. The pay is outstanding, I get the clothes for CHEAP, and will get to dress celebs. I am not complaning
Old May 27th, 2004, 10:12 AM
Cruise Maniac

I got a job working at a tennis club, $10 an hour, with the kids at the camp. Seems like easy money, no nights or weekends!!
Old May 27th, 2004, 01:07 PM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to AdamsND04 Send a message via Yahoo to AdamsND04

I Make 7.80 an hour now and up here in Connecticut the Minimum wage is 7.10/hour I work at a movie theatre

Voyager of the Seas
Old May 27th, 2004, 01:28 PM
Beginner

how old do u have to be to get a job at hollister? theres a new one opening up at my mall and i was thinkin of applying...
Old May 27th, 2004, 01:36 PM
Tamster

I'm a server/bartender at a restaurant at our local mall and I make anywhere from $110-350 a night (thats about 4 hours) so I avg $20-45.hr. I LOVE IT, i leave everynight with cash in my hand
Old May 27th, 2004, 02:24 PM
corgie

ahhhh degrassi junior high!!!! that is the most awesome show ive ever seen in my entire life....

...oh. and i dont have a job. but i wanna lifeguard next summer...
Old May 27th, 2004, 02:37 PM
Ariana

You have to be 18 to work at Hollister in Georgia...I'm not sure about where you live. It'll be over 17 at least, though.

Old May 27th, 2004, 03:27 PM
Cruise Maniac

Hmmm. Hold it a minute -- something just occured to me! Let me try to understand this, SexyBrunette. You are leaving a a job (partly) because you "really don't want to work at a place that only hires you based on the way you look" (which you admit you knew before you applied anyway) but, at the same time -- in pretty much the same breath -- are frustrated because they won't let you wear make-up? Seems like something is wrong with this picture.
Old May 27th, 2004, 04:43 PM
Passenger

I don't have to work at all
Old May 27th, 2004, 06:50 PM
First Mate

No, the makeup did not bother me, yet the whole booklet of each seperate restriction just is ridiculous. Fingernails "must not be longer than 1/4 inch" or "Jewlery has to be name branded" or "A belly button ring is part of the Hollister style". If you read their Apperance policy, you'd understand why.

And yes, I do realize that I am working at a place that has a certain image, and they would like to uphold that, but I can not work in a place that JUST hired me because of the way I look and forces me to change my ways to be more like them.

I love their clothes and it seemed like a fun job, but the con outweighed the pro, and either way, I would have had to quit in July before I left for vacation. And since I'd be working 1-2 days a week (if I'm lucky they said) and minus taxes, I'd make around what...45 dollars a week? By the time I quit I'd barely make any profit.
Old May 27th, 2004, 08:36 PM
bobbles

I know people who have worked at Hollister and Abercrombie and they all have quit promptly for low pay and being treated like crap. Though you do get a discount for buying stuff to wear their I know.
Old May 28th, 2004, 12:05 AM
Beginner

sexbrunette, Glad to see that you did understand that you don't need to change to be what someone else thinks you should be, make up or no make up