Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Teen Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Teen Cruisers Teens - meet here, meet onboard.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 28th, 2004, 05:43 PM
Passenger

Default Teen drinking

Hi guys...I'm actually 32 year old Mom with 2 kids...and I'm just visiting your board because I want to ask you all a few questions. I'm a concerned parent of 8 and 15 year old boys. I've read some of the threads on this board and some of them concern me. We are having a discussion on another board about teenagers on cruises...should you all have curfews...what goes on...drinking? Sex? The differences in opinion...span very far apart...from some parents not setting any curfews...to others who don't let the kids out of sight. Maybe you all can help us a bit. Please be honest. I plan to share your replies with them...I will not use any names or even screen names...they will be hidden.

Can you guys answer some questions honestly...be serious!!! I've heard an awful lot can go on and I want you guys to either confirm or deny these rumors. Thanks!

What is your age? M/F?

Is there a lot of underage drinking that goes on?

Where do you guys get the alcohol?

Is teenage sexual activity common?

What do you think is a fair curfew?

Do you think kids are given too much freedom on cruises?
Sponsored Links
Old March 28th, 2004, 06:01 PM
betty and bellva

Default Re: Teen drinking

1.) I am 18 yrs old
2.) I have been on 6 cruises between the ages 14 and 18 and only one trip i went on were there "teens" drinking. But keep in mind these teens were also 17and 18.
3.) The three guys that had the alcohol were being supplied by there uncle.
4.) I have a hard time believing that much teen sex goes on coinsiderding the fact that most teens share a room with there parents.
5.) it all depends on how you sleep. My mother could not go to sleep till she knew i was back so i had to back at 12 except for the last night till 2 since it was the last night.
6.) NO i dont think so
Old March 28th, 2004, 06:16 PM
First Mate

Send a message via AIM to Sara754

well i guess ill give my opinions and stuff about this even though on the other board ive given my story already..

First.. im 15/f..there can be alot of teen drinking but also there isnt a lot.. it depends on the season you cruise and the people on it, it changes with every cruise. On my last cruise over Christmas, there was a lot only because it was an italian cruise line and their policy there is different that the regular bigger cruise lines. When I was on that cruise we got it from the bar in the teen disco, but on regular ships this doesnt really happen- like they wont let minors buy drinks like they did on this cruise. Id agree with the person above, most people share a room with their parents so it isnt very common. on my last cruise i was 14 and i got a curfew of 2.. im not really sure why because my parents dont usually trust me but i thought it was fair because they usually dont do that.. on my next cruise it will probably be 3 or whenever i feel like because ill be older and my older brother will be with me.. Some kids get a little too much freedom on cruises, i think parents should care enough not to let there kids run around all day and not care what they do.. i guess if you want to see my whole story go to the other board because i typed a long on in there.. i guess i hope that helped

Post Edited (03-28-04 18:39)
Carnival Destiny 2004
Royal Caribbean Adventure of the Seas 2005
Royal Caribbean Empress of the Seas 2006
Crown Princess 2007
Carnival Valor 2009

Carnival Freedom June 2011!
Old March 28th, 2004, 07:11 PM
Yeoman

Send a message via AIM to -Rob

Hey, im rob. I'm a 15 year old guy and have been on 4 cruises. 3 Carnivals, and 1 RCCL. To be honest, its all in how you have raised your children. I wouldnt take a drink if it was right in front of me... now some of the people in this room, try their hardest to get alcohol, and they get it. Put it this way, if they want alcohol, and are low enough to do anything in their power to get it, they will. If you have raised them in a good manner, dont worry because they wont want it anyways. If you know you have raised your children in a respectable manner, then dont worry.

Carnival Ecstasy-June 2000
Carnival Jubilee-July 2001
Carnival Pride-June 2003
RCCL Sovereign-Janurary 2004
Carnival Imagination-June 26, 2004
Glory
Old March 28th, 2004, 07:35 PM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to Maddie

1. 16-Female
2. I'm not that sure about the whole under age drinking situation on the cruises. When I actually went on a cruise wih my Girl Scout troop two years ago on the Ectasy I didn't notice any drinking. There was a group of girls in my troop that met a few guy on the ship and actaully fell asleep in the lobby together! I know nothing went on. But I didn't notice any under age drinking.
3. I'm not sure where teens could get the alchol.
4. I dont think sexual activity is that common apon the teens on the ships.
5. I actaully agree with betty on the curfew thing. I know my mom and dad can NEVER sleep till I come home from being out with my BF or my friends. But I think maybe 12 or 1 is a good curfew, depending on how much the parents trust their kids.
6. When I went on the cruise with my GS troop I was very shy and nervous about the whole cruise ship thing because it was new to me. This time now that it is my second time to go on a cruise, now with my family, my two brothers(ages 14 and 10) i think maybe we'll I'm hoping w'll get freedom on the ship.

*Carnival PRIDE!!!! April 11-19, 2004*

By the way anyone going??

p.s. about the who sexual activity i have a friend who wen on a cruise when he was 14 or something and in his aol profile ppl wrote to him sayins "danny it was fun...." blah blah blah (and these were from 18 or 21 year old girls and women). He told me that hooked up with ppl like that and crazy stuff happend. Just thought I'd mention that to you.
Old March 28th, 2004, 07:39 PM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to Maddie

sorry the thing i said about my ship my sailed. i did the date wrong hehe... kk so anyone going on it?
Old March 28th, 2004, 07:58 PM
oceaneyes

1. 17 Female
2. 18 or 19 cruises mostly on RCI but ive been on Carnival, Princess and Holland America
3. Theres a lot of under aged drinking...it really just depends on the group of people that your with.
4. You dont really find many cases of sexual activities going on, however there have been times where there has been. Most teenagers go on cruises to meet people of the opposite sex...so I guess some of it is bound to happen.
5. I think i fair cerfew is 2am if there is a port the next day and 3 if there isnt
6. I think we have just enough freedom on cruises....not too much that we feel like babies but not enough to go 100% crazy
Old March 28th, 2004, 08:21 PM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to AdamsND04 Send a message via Yahoo to AdamsND04

I'm Male 18, been on 2 cruises ages 16 and 17
There is some underage drinking going on but not as much as everyone thinks, simply because security is soo tight, however in roms there are alot more dirnking that goes on.
The kids get the alcohol from their parents, older kids, the islands
Teen sexuality is common but not everyone does it simply because of how the room situations are w/parents...etc
Curfew all depends on the parents and kids...i personally havent had a curfew so it all depends on the child and the parents
No kids are so heavily scrutinized on cruises it's ridiculious everyone complains etc
Old March 28th, 2004, 08:25 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to DanPolulak

1. 15/M
2. YES
3. Drunk adults
4. Eh, not as much as you think...
5. 3am (if any)
6. Yes and No

As for drinking, it happens, but its not really pressured. Like, I have never been preassured into it, but yes it does go on. Ususally the suppliers are already drunk adults or parents, who pass it to the kids, and to other teens. Like Rob said, some people live for it, and some could care less.

As for the sex, it dosent happen nearly as much as you would think. Like where would this all go down? People share rooms with their parents, and usually people are spread out all over the ship so teens wouldent do it really other places.

And as for a crufew, 2AM if you are causing trouble. Sometimes the people I meet just go up to the top deck and hang out causing no trouble, why should be be told to leave??? I can understand if you are being disruptive...

And as for freedom- I have a nice balance. My parents know what I am usually doing, beacuse I have breakfast, lunch and dinner with them, and go to the ports. Some teens just basically get dropped off for the week and dont see their parents till the following weekend. My parents have a good eye one me.

RIP- Cruisemates Teen Host
Old March 28th, 2004, 09:09 PM
Yeoman

Send a message via AIM to eclipsegtf10mch Send a message via MSN to eclipsegtf10mch

What is your age? 15 M/F? F
Is there a lot of underage drinking that goes on? yeah, it's vacation and i know many people guilty of it...

Where do you guys get the alcohol? "of age" friends or the islands (smuggled)

Is teenage sexual activity common? no....not NEAR as much as u think like dan said

What do you think is a fair curfew? i think there should only be a curfew if kids are causing trouble...like breaking stuff...see we move signs in the elevators but its not hurting anyone and they aren't going anywhere really.

Do you think kids are given too much freedom on cruises? no not at all...only the ones that are like....immature and mess everything up

Old March 29th, 2004, 01:28 AM
First Mate

Send a message via AIM to nurd13

What is your age? M/F?
15/M

I've been on 5 past cruises and haven't seen any teen drinking. Then again, I'm not one to hang with that type of crowd so I dunno what others do outside my circle of friends.

I have no idea where people get it

Not that I'm aware of but I don't get involved with people who would do that

My parents usually enforced a curfew of about 1, 12 if the next day was a port day and we had to get up early. Personally, I thought this was too early. A curfew of 2 or 3 might be better since ships are very secure. Of course, you know your teen so it depends on how much you trust them.

I don't think kids are given too much freedom because a cruise is a great place to have freedom. SInce you can't leave the ship, parents should feel pretty safe letting their kids roam free, as long as occasional check in times are set. If you're still hesitant, walkie-talkies are a great idea.

Ecstasy Baja Mexico 8/02
Carnival Spirit Alaska 7/03
Ecstasy Baja Mexico 8/03
Adventure of the Seas Southern Caribbean 12/04
Carnival Pride Mexican Riviera 8/05

Caribbean Travel Tips
Old March 29th, 2004, 05:08 AM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via AIM to Justine Send a message via Yahoo to Justine

I'm a 17/f, i went on a cruise at 16 and i'm going on one when im 18 (March 5th 2005 Navigator)

As some others have said i believe it's more in the rooms than in bars/lounges etc. simply because of how easy it is for some to get it in their rooms rather than get it at a lounge where its very difficult.

Sexuality, i'm not sure about how far some teens go, but i have a good up-bringing and morals so i wouldn't do anything like that....it depends on the kid. i dont' think its as common as some think.

Because i was 16 and on my first cruise my parents set a cerfew of 1am when the Teen center closed. it was nice because they knew that i was either at the center or wandering about finding not much to do at 12:30 ish lol When i go on my next cruise the cerfew will be later because i'll be 18...

I don't think kids are given too much freedom, it is all on how you precieve it though...

Mainly, this depends on the opinions of the Parents and the kids... maybe a compromise here or there... but mainly everyone turns out happy ... hope we all help you enjoy yourselfs on the cruise!!

Till i'm cruisein the Caribbean!!
Old March 29th, 2004, 02:28 PM
First Mate

Send a message via AIM to SoccerQT116

What is your age? Im a 16 female

i wouldnt say a lot but there is drinking. And you dont really see it the first few nights its the nights later in the week wen everyone has gotten to no each other. And it depends on the kids you hang out with...and if theyre not into drinking there are definitely other ppl to hang out with that are the same way. Like on my cruise last year ppl would go up to their rooms and drink and i didnt want to so i went and hung out with the other friends i had met

people get it from family sometimes, islands or theyll even get someone thats 21 and would understand there position and ask them to buy them something

Its not that common--the only places it occurs are in rooms and not many ppl have open rooms without family. But also with the same thing as drinking i decided not to go up to the rooms because i didnt want to do that

My parents didnt give me a curfew(i was 15) or my brother who was 11. Their outlook on the whole thing was that were not gona go ne where cuz we're in the middle of the ocean. And also they trusted us to do the right thing. I mean my brother was probably in the room sleeping at 11/12 every night cuz he goes to bed early. But i would stay out til 1 or 2 and i would go to the room because i knew thats what my parents hoped i would do. Like if they knew i came in at 5 they would give me a curfew. They knew i would be responsible.

i dont think they are. Everyone is there to hav a good time on vacation. And if you give them less freedom on a cruise then u do at home then its not really fair and they may do worse things on the cruise because they dont hav the freedom to do what they want. There are also tons of employees around the ship so its not lik your unsupervised.

***for the younger one, if your gona let him walk around by himself, you may want to get a walkie talkie that way u could keep in touch and can keep checking back in--lik ur not gona stay in ur room and be lik come back here every hour so with the walkie talkie u can tell them where to go and meet you***

Previous Cruises:
Carnival Conquest: April 4th-11th 2004
Carnival Victory: April 20th-27th 2003
Old March 29th, 2004, 04:09 PM
Heather B.

Hey im about to be 18 and this will be my 4th cruise. The first cruise i went on was a seven day with my friends parents and her or course. I didnt drink on the ship but i did drink in mexico thats becuase they allowed me to. In order to drink on the ship u have to be 18 and have a special card. At the end of the crusie u get abill of all the things u bought with this card so ur kids wouldnt be able to get a way with it on the cruise. As far as the crufew thing goes i dont thign u shouldnt have a crufew beucase where are u going to go on the cruise ur prety much safe. I never had a crufew i was always out until about 2 in the moring and stuff. All the activites end about 1 so ur safe! As far as SEX There really isnt any becuase most teens are with there parent's and i dont no how they would pull that off. Well i hope that this has helped u out a little. Bye w/b to me
Old March 29th, 2004, 04:25 PM
Passenger

Thanks guys...wide variety of answers...thanks for being honest. I think what happens in some cases...is parents feel a false sense of security on cruiseships..."what is going to happen"..."we are in the middle of the ocean". And for some kids too much freedom, all of a sudden, can be a bad thing. I agree...for the most part...if we've done a good job in raising our kids well...we shouldn't have to worry...too much. I do also feel though...that some parents...really don't know the half of what goes on when they aren't around...Oh not my Bobby!!! Hey...I was a teenager once too..I've done it all...and that is why I worry. Have fun on all of your upcoming cruises...but not too much fun .

Be safe!!!

Cheryl
Old March 29th, 2004, 04:33 PM
cruiseprincess0162

14/f
Yes. I have met several people who do. in ports they gave it to me.
In San Juan i have had a drinks given to me. My parents let me drink it because it wasnt that strong. I met people who got it on board to. Anyone can buy it in port very easily.
No. I dont really hang out with people who do stuff like that.
My parents gave me a curfew but it was at a resonable time. I had walkie talkie so if I wanted to stay outlater I would just buzz in. Im going om a cruise with just me and my aunt so she wont give me one.
Yes. I believe some kids are given to much freedom on cruises. My parents I feel give me resonable ammounts of freedom. They gave me the freedom to do what ever I wanted during the day just as long as we ate dinner together. I had some friends on my last cruise who never went once to the dining roomk with there parents. I know you can get food any where on board. Its a little disrespectful in my opinion because your parents paid for the cruise and everything, the least you could do is eat dinner with them.
Jenna
Previous cruises:
NCL S/S/ Norway 1/20/03
Carnival Triumph 12/20/03
Upcomming cruises:
HAL Oosterdam 6/12/2004
Old March 29th, 2004, 05:07 PM
XxDemonKkKiDxX

I am 17 year old male and have been on 12 cruises... There is somewhat of a lot of teen drinking, not as much drugs, and as far as teen sex the people I was with it never happened. Some making out and other stuff did occur but not too extreme.
Just because you set a curfew does that mean they will not be able to drink? No, they can do what ever the please in the time you give them. If they have to be in at 12, they will just drink and have sex before then.
They can easily buy drinks on shore and smuggle them on, well drug would be some what harder to get on. And even when they were on you would have to find a spot were you could do them, that would be very hard, with the smell of certian things. You can also get drinks from an older brother or sister, if you had one. Or if one of his friends had one.
I never did have a curfew and if I had to have one a fair time would be 1 or 2 am, I was usually in the cabin around then anyway.. The curfew also should depend on the itenerary. We did a 12 day Mediteranean Cruise last year, and there were very early mornings just about everyday. So on those nights i was in the room earlier. When I went on a cruise with my friend We usually were in the room at 3 am. Except on the last night we decided to not sleep, so we laid on the top decks. There were about 7 of us, and we just sat there and did nothing.....
If your going to drink, a cruise ship is the place to do it. Its not like your going to be driving home. And as for falling over, I dont think anyone has even FALLEN over. Usually the people jump, or hang over the side and usually not a child....
Its all about having fun, and if your kids think drinking sex and drugs are fun , then they are going to do it. If you dont think they'll do it then they probilly wont...
Old March 30th, 2004, 07:45 PM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to crewzinkween

What is your age? M/F?
I am 15 (16 very soon) and a female

uumm, on my cruise yes

i danced with a few bartenders and they gave it to me, on captians night you can get it for free if you look 21 i guess

nope, not on the cruise i went on (btw i practice chastity so maybe i was just blinded from it oh and where, really, can the kids go to do that stuff...back to their cabin where a parent most likely will be?)

i didnt have a curfew..i dont think there should be on actually because there is SO much to do at night! ..but if you are thinking of inforcing one i say for the 15 year old 1 am and the 8 year old about 10ish
it depends on the kid....if you cant trust your kid then its all up to you there!

Old March 30th, 2004, 08:21 PM
taRaA

im 14/f

on the 3 cruises ive been on there were a few kids drinking nd gettin drunk.. the youngest of them was 16

they get the alcohol from older kids.. some parents let their kids drink at 18 on the ship

sex isnt very common on the ships.. hook ups are tho

2 or 3 is a fair curfew

kids are given alot of freedom... but for alot of kids its worth it.. because we all have so much fun.. nd if we were more restricted the cruise wouldnt be the same in some ways
Old March 30th, 2004, 09:50 PM
D.J.H.

Hey, I am a 17 year old (Male) and I've been on many cruises over the past 2 years. To address your concerns, yes, there are some possible scenarios you should be concerned about when it comes to your teenager attending a cruise.

First off, in my experiences I've seen some underage drinking, but this can be avoided quite easily. Since cruises take place on international waters, the minimum drinking age is 18 instead of 21, usually teens under 18 get their drinks from older passengers that they've made friends with throughout the duration of the cruise. However, they can also obtain drinks quite easily on shore from people selling small bottles of alcohol on the street (I've seen a handful of small bottles of Bacardi go for as cheap as $10 to $20). From my experiences, underage drinking is most frequent among teenage girls. Be sure that while on ship, you meet up with your children frequently (about every 2 to 3 hours), just to check on who they're hanging out with and who their friends are. Also make sure that while on shore you keep your family together and monitor where they go and what they might buy off the street.

Fortunately, sexual activity is less frequent. There are very few places where any sexual activity could take place besides their own staterooms (and usually teens share their rooms with their family so that would be out of the question anyway). In fact, I'll be very honest with you, and tell you that in my own experiences the farthest it would ever go would be the frequent make out session with a girl/guy they might meet. The best way to counter this is to (again) check with your teens from time to time, and to find out when they'll be back to their stateroom.

When it comes to curfews, however, this decision will not be as beneficial as you think. let teens stay out as long as they want within reason. My parents let me stay out as long as I want, as long as I check in with them and tell them when I'll be back in my room. This may sound outrageous, but infact, the latest I've ever stayed out is 3:00 AM (which is usually the first day), and as the days go on you'll find that your child and yourself will start turning in for the night earlier with each passing day. By the end of the cruise I'll be sleeping at around 11:00 PM to 12:00 AM. With all the activities packed into every day, you and your child will find themselves increasingly tired and will start turning in early on their own.

Again, the best way to counter any of your concerns is to simply check in with your child frequently (again every 2 to 3 hours...check on them too much and they might grow annoyed and stop checking in at all). Also meet some of the new friends that your child makes, and make sure they're not just hanging out with them just for the sake of buying alcohol. There will be members of the opposite sex on the cruise, so no matter what you do, there will be that temptation. But don't worry too much, it rarely goes any further than making out (Special Note To Parents With Daughters: If you have a teen daughter, make sure they're not hanging out with college age men. I've frequently seen young girls hanging out with college guys, and as you can imagine, the older guys are mostly thinking about easy sex). Curfews should be to a minimum...the last thing you want is an annoyed and angry teenager nagging you for the rest of your vacation (remember that as the days go on, you and your teen will become more tired from all the activities...especially from continuous walking on a large luxury liner...you will start going to sleep early on your own). Finally, if you think teens have too much freedom on cruise ships...they don't (or atleast not as much as you think they do). If you're worried about what trouble they might get into, rest easy, there are numerous security personel patrolling the ship (especially at night...believe me).

Just remember to keep track of where your children are (I recommend investing in 2-way radios), and try to get them involved in the teen programs that take place on almost all cruise liners. I hope my insight has helped...and remember you're there on the cruise to have fun and get away from your troubles.