Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Teen Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Teen Cruisers Teens - meet here, meet onboard.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 20th, 2004, 05:40 PM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to HotChic15
Default tanning beds...

Ok,my cruise is May 23. I dont have too much of a tan, but have been goin to tannin beds,so here's my question: Do you get a tan faster in the tanning bed, or laying out in the sun?

*^*^Haley^*^*

American by birth...Southern by the grace of God.

Sponsored Links
Old April 20th, 2004, 06:18 PM
taRa *

Default Re: tanning beds...

tannin bed.. but if u want a relee relee good tan.. do both.. i usually do stand up tannin.. nd wenever i get the chance i sit out in the sun.. ! good luck!!!

x0x0
Old April 20th, 2004, 08:25 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via AIM to Lin-Z Send a message via MSN to Lin-Z

I would say sun!! Most definitely especially when ur out by the sea, helps much more.. DEFINITELY sun!

"I'm so PUNK!!!!!!"

Old April 20th, 2004, 08:34 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Tauruschick

the sun!

Adventure of the Seas 2/05
Serenade of the Seas 2/06
Monarch of the Seas 7/06
Liberty of the Seas 8/07
Majesty of the Seas 5/08
Old April 20th, 2004, 09:18 PM
cheer_brat_06

i say the sun
I like to sit on top of my roof w/ the stereo.. Or the phone so u can talk to ur friends and look great afterwards!!!!!

Much love kristy
Old April 20th, 2004, 11:00 PM
jeNnifeR maRieEe

deff tanning bed [i knoo a lot bout tanning im gunna be applying at one soon thats opening up near me] .. if you go every other day from now til your cruise you*ll have a reallyy nice tan .. hope i helped

<3jenn
Old April 20th, 2004, 11:29 PM
Tamster

best thing to do is get a nice base tan from a tanning bed, nothing too dark. The sun gives you a better tan but if you go get a base tan from the beds, you are very unlikely to burn from the caribbean sun! besides, you don't want to come back from the cruise the same color as when you went. thats the best thing about cruises, you get to come home with a killer tan!

so, get a base tan in the beds and let the caribbean sun do the rest of the work
Old April 21st, 2004, 03:34 PM
Yeoman

Send a message via AIM to -Rob

The tanning bed is a lot faster. The UV rays are a lot more concentrated and more controlled. The suns UV strength changes day by day so u never really get the same amount each day. Gota love fake bakin. I just got back from mine like 30 minutes ago!

-Rob
Old April 21st, 2004, 09:04 PM
First Mate

da sun
Old April 21st, 2004, 09:06 PM
mack

spray tan... seriously it doesnt look splotchy or orange at all, id look better if u were tan to begin with
Old April 22nd, 2004, 01:00 PM
Cruise Maniac

i say the sun because for as many days your going on your crusie you can wake up really early get a good spot on the decks and just relax and sit in the sun and from my experience i wud say the sunn gives a much better tan and you dont hav to pay for it and after all you get to be with all the hott guys at the pool so its a two in one deal
xoox crystal good luck
Old April 22nd, 2004, 03:07 PM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to HotChic15

thanks for the input,hopefully i'll be tan before my cruise!

much love

*^*^Haley^*^*

American by birth...Southern by the grace of God.

Old April 22nd, 2004, 06:41 PM
SuzieQuzie

Haley, I own a tanning salon. You do need to get a good base tan going before you cruise. Being on deck with the wind blowing you don't realize you are getting burned, so becareful. Burning is bad for your skin and also you can't tan if you are burned. Start out slow and make steady progress up. If you use an upper level bed to tan in you get more UVA rays which are the "browning rays" and less UVB rays which are the "reddening burning ray". All beds put out a combination of both but the upper level bed bulbs are designed to put out more UVA rays. Therefore you are less likely to burn, you see results quicker and it last longer. More results for your money.

Hope I don't sound preachy but you know the exact amount of exposure you are getting in a tanning bed. When you are out in the sun different factors come in to play like, cloudy, time of day, how close to equator and atmospheric pressure that changes day to day and determines if you burn or not.

Tan Smart, Don't Burn.
Enjoy your cruise.
SuzieQuzie
Mother of 16, 14 yr old
Old April 28th, 2004, 01:18 PM
Passenger

Send a message via MSN to Brit

Haha if you wan tto no anythign about tanning beds/anythign about tanning ask me my mom owns a tanning salon and ive worked at one for almost 3 years now!
Old April 30th, 2004, 03:45 PM
Yeoman

Hey Suzie. I go tan almost everday, skipping a day every now and then. Tell me if this is true. The salon i go to has a stand up bed, which has a lot of UVB rays, and a bronzing bed which has almost all UVA. The employes there say to get in the UVB to build melanin, and then get in the UVA to tan it, does the UVA bed (brozing bed) not create melanin? And also which lotion do u recommend, are the really expensive ones as good as the ones in the salon that arent as expensive? My place sells designer skin and supre. I started out with "secret rapture" by DS, and i have used Black Smoke and Shift Heated by Supre. I just tried the Siren (DS)today... anyways.. do you recommend a tingle? just a few quiestions. Thanks

-Rob
Old April 30th, 2004, 04:01 PM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to crewzinkween

tanning beds arent good for you

seriously

my friend used to go and now her skin has aged 30 years!!!!!!!
thats insane!!!!

she literally has wrinkels!
i advise you use the sun

or get a spray on tan....my one friend just got that for prom and it looks just fine...just be sure you go to a trustworthy place cuz you dont want to be orange or have streaks lol

Old May 1st, 2004, 08:54 PM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to Linake

The tanning bed is alot faster. But if you do the tanning bed then tan out in the sun you need to wear sun tan lotion, you will still burn. Personally I wouldn't do the tanning bed, just because you need to do more then one session to get a good bas tan. And they aren't good for your skin. I'd just use the sun, its free, you don't have to pay it to tan.
Old May 2nd, 2004, 09:23 AM
Yeoman

I dont burn when i go in the sun after the tanning bed . A base tan is a base tan. Once your tan, you wont burn... unless its that spray on stuff.
-Rob
Old May 2nd, 2004, 12:27 PM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to Linake

You can still burn through a tan. Trust me. If you'e been to Maui or the Caribbean after you do the tanning bed, you will still burn. Because tanning beds aren't a natural tan. Your getting it from lights, not the sun. The tanning bed is not a safe way to go. A tanning bed produces ultraviolet rays, just like the sun. In fact, a tanning bed can be even more dangerous than the sun. They produce mainly UVA radiation, which penetrates deeper into your skin, while sunlight contains a mix of UVA and UVB and gets filtered by the ozone layer. So tanning beds aren't the way to go. You are more likely to get skin cancer from tanning beds because the ltraviolet rays are stronger then the sun.
Old May 3rd, 2004, 02:20 PM
Cruise Maniac

It depends on your skin..cuz i went tanning every other day for a month before my cruise n i didnt use a drop of suntan lotion and i didnt get burned at all..
Old May 3rd, 2004, 05:21 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via AIM to sean26

You guys are lucky that you tan because I BURN!!

Sean
Old May 3rd, 2004, 05:59 PM
Dancing_Babe88

For some reason every time i tan about 3- 4hrs i will get alttle darker and wont burn (when i burn it stays red for two hrs then turns tan, i guess im one of the lucky ones) but when i'm outside washing the car i'll burn it's so weird cuz when i tan i dont put on anything, and i'll stay out ALOT longer than the time it takes to wash a car. WEIRD

tylAr
Old May 5th, 2004, 09:21 PM
Passenger

definitely tanning bed, if you wear tanning lotion, and start slow, like 10min and work your way up to longer times in higher level beds.

but the sun is cheaper...
Old May 7th, 2004, 09:10 PM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to flutegirl624

I use a tanning bed every summer before band camp (we are outside a TON) and it really helps me from burning completly. You won't get skin cancer or anything if u use them in moderation. I had a teacher once who used them so much, she looked black, but was white! Don't do that. It's really, really disturbing. Lol.
Old May 11th, 2004, 09:00 AM
Beginner

Does anyone know what I should do for my Prom?? I'm debating whether to get the Spray on Mysitc Tan or just purchase a month of unlimited tanning! I'm torn! Someone HELP!!
Old May 11th, 2004, 04:45 PM
Cruise Maniac

If ur like super white and u do the majistic tanning then u might look orange but if not then it prob will look ok But i personally think tanning for a month will get u better and natural looking results :o)