Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Teen Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Teen Cruisers Teens - meet here, meet onboard.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 28th, 2004, 04:05 PM
Beginner

Default Hollister & American Eagle

I really don't understand why people like Hollister or American Eagle. The thing I hate about these brands is that they sell the image of a California lifestyle, which people seem to think that this is where they are all from.

It bothers me even more when people where "Made in California" graphic tee's and they were born in Florida or some other state and have lived there their entire life...doesn't make any sense to me since I was born in California, and I don't like it when people claim they are something they aren't.

And whats up with the claims of "Vintage" clothing. Do most of you people even know what vintage is in the fashion world? Just because a company prints "distressed" (yes thats what the style of print is called to get a fake vintage appeal) clothing doesn't mean its real vintage. Why don't you actually buy real vintage clothing rather than tee shirts that read of fake business that have never even existed?

Most everyone seems to be jumping on the band wagon of this "college wannabe look" or "california" look. I'm going to laugh when these brands get old and these people try to buy the next marketing ploy launched at them. Most you people seem to just buy whatever marketinge executives throw at you. I saw most everyone do this when Abercrombie & Fitch was the popular clothing line, which has since dropped in market share of the teenage demographic.

I don't know how you guyz can stand purchasing standard fabric and clothes. All you are buying are over priced cheap cotton clothing that wear out and degrade with time. I invest in quality and material. I buy clothes not because of the fact that everyone else is buying them, but because the brand has stood longer than these fad fashions. I laugh when most people don't even understand where there clothes come from. Hollister advertises there some of there tees are "Imported"...maybe thats because it was manufactured in a third world country...not the kind of imports you love.

So with all my frustration released yall can say ur opinions...
Sponsored Links
Old June 28th, 2004, 04:16 PM
First Mate

Send a message via AIM to countthestars420
Default Re: Hollister & American Eagle

i buy all of my clothes from thrift shops.. or i make them.. so i completely agree with you and see where you're frustration comes from..

like.. why buy a 25$ tshirt from urban outfitters that is made to look vintage.. when you can go to a thrift shop and get a real one for like.. 2$? and if you buy one from a store it's not even unique, because so many people have them! i can't tell you how many people i've seen with the "gettin lucky in kentucky" shirt..

grrrrrrrrr

Old June 28th, 2004, 04:45 PM
First Mate

Send a message via AIM to Joefoe

all up to the person...not my style but for others it is i just cant see paying all that money for clothes

Post Edited (06-28-04 16:48)
Old June 28th, 2004, 05:54 PM
First Mate

I "worked" at Hollister. I actually quit after my first day because it was absolutely ridiculous on the way they made you dress/look. Everything had to be in the "California Lifestyle" Okay I live in California, and no I don't live on the beach (30 min away), no I don't surf, the water is freezing, no I don't have blonde hair (someone on one of my cruises actually asked me if I was the only brunette in Cali)

I think Hollister needs to re-acess their "California Look" because I know people in Oakland or in other parts of California that don't fit the "Look"

Old June 28th, 2004, 06:01 PM
jPopester

I buy most of my cloths from Armani Exchange and Emporio Armani, but i get alot of shorts from Hollister. And no i don't buy them to make myself look "californian" i buy them because they look nice with most of what i wear and they are cheap. Not everyone that wears hollister is trying to capture the look that you're talking about.
Old June 28th, 2004, 09:17 PM
First Mate

Send a message via AIM to Sara754

ok well heres my opinion on it.. I think its all about peoples opinions and their likes and dislikes.. like jpopester said, not everyone wants the "california" look.. a lot of my clothes are from all of the stores you are talking about and yeah I know their "imported" yes from third world coutries, but Im not going to just stop buying clothes from stores that I actually like.. I dont buy things because everyone else is, I buy the clothing because I like it.. and who really cares if the market share has gone down? you buy something because you like it.. and I think youre being somewhat hypocritical when you said "the brand has stood longer than these fad fashions" not like A&F hasnt been around for over 100 years or anything.. whatever Im just putting in my 2 cents

Carnival Destiny 2004
Royal Caribbean Adventure of the Seas 2005
Royal Caribbean Empress of the Seas 2006
Crown Princess 2007
Carnival Valor 2009

Carnival Freedom June 2011!
Old June 29th, 2004, 01:13 PM
brand new girl

[ihow about[/i]..

you buy the clothes you like ???? and don't judge other people on what their taste in clothes is..i don't care if you're wearing a $200 outfit from hollister or a $20 outfit from a thrift store - wear what you like..end of discussion?

anyone.....?

carnival legend :: 7/18
Old June 29th, 2004, 02:47 PM
Beginner

Default Re: Re: Hollister & American Eagle

When you buy a clothing brand of course you like it, but yall don't understand that the reason why you like it is because of what the image the clothing company is portraying... that is why it is so appealing to you in the first place...because they marketed it to fit your psychographic.

If you haven't noticed they reached your psychographics...so you DO prefer the image of what Hollister or American Eagle are... thats where they received their image from. Their studies have shown that this is what many teenagers prefer to dress or look like, and these clothing companies come right out and say that yes we're offering a california appeal in clothing. If yall think you are buying something just because you like it... this is why:

Quote from Hollister Co. Website:
"Hollister’s leading the way with our hip, casual, and trend setting California styles"

So lol i have no idea where you guyz think that you are buying clothes from here just because it looks good...its because you like the image they sell... admit it. These executives love coming up with fads that yall buy into thats why they say "trend setting" because they know the teenage demographic is the most easliy influenced.

And whether you notice it or not you are more likely to purchase something that your peers already posses (the reason being why you occasionally see one of every four people within the demographic of 15-18 year olds wearing an article of Hollister and American Eagle clothing) notice this is where the term "trend-setting" comes from.

You have bought into a brand that is the "it" factor for the year and yall are hopping on like a crazed bunch of teeny-boppers. I can't believe most of you don't admit to it, even the companies know this (they publish annual information about themselves ya know).
Old June 29th, 2004, 03:33 PM
brittany1919

so what if im buying clothes for the "it" factor.....75 % of us our guilty of that so whats your point?
Old June 29th, 2004, 04:51 PM
First Mate

Send a message via AIM to Sara754

and who really cares?

Carnival Destiny 2004
Royal Caribbean Adventure of the Seas 2005
Royal Caribbean Empress of the Seas 2006
Crown Princess 2007
Carnival Valor 2009

Carnival Freedom June 2011!
Old June 29th, 2004, 06:19 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via AIM to glamour1030

If you have such a problem with these stores and hate them SOO darn much, why don't you just shut up about them?? Its not your choice what people wear and what people don't. I wear clothes from Hollister, American Eagle, and Abercrombie and Fitch, why? It's because thats what I like to wear, and I personally don't have a problem with thrift shop clothing and diy clothing, and I don't go around making myself sound like a total nutcase because I think people should wear some type of certain clothing. Good for you if you'd perfer Hot Topic, Congrats if you shop at Salvation Army, I think most people on here don't give a darn tooting what the heck you think so I think you should keep your opinion to yourself this time.
Old June 29th, 2004, 06:33 PM
First Mate

Send a message via AIM to countthestars420

whoaaa there...

she has every right to state her opinion.. and so do you..

simmaaaaaah downnaaah

Old June 29th, 2004, 07:43 PM
First Mate

Send a message via AIM to ttbryson

I buy these types of clothes (Hollister, Abercrombie, American Eagle) but I also buy lots of other clothes as well. I like the way Abercrombie and Hollister stuff fits, for example a polo or a button-up shirt made by most manufacturers is made for an adult and kind or a fit anything shape, but Abercrombie shirts have like a, I donno, slim fit so I like the way it looks on me better than any other shirt so that may be a reason. I'm not a slave to any labels, I'm from Canada and VERY FEW people up here have any Hollister or Abercrombie whatsoever, I like their style and the clothing in general. I buy what I like and not what everyone else is wearing.

--------------------
HAL - Oosterdam - May 05
RCI - Mariner of the Seas - August 04
HAL - Volendam - July 03
Old June 29th, 2004, 07:49 PM
Cruise Maniac

I wear Hollister and American Eagle..........I think they're clothes are hot
Old June 29th, 2004, 07:50 PM
Cruise Maniac

**their
Old June 29th, 2004, 07:51 PM
Cruise Maniac

And anyway what do you care about other people's clothing styles? this discussion is as worthless as the male nipple
Old June 29th, 2004, 08:37 PM
jPopester

i think consumer is so insecure that she feels the need to critique everyone elses cloths and try to make herself think that she knows what were thinking when we buy them. : - )
Old June 29th, 2004, 09:38 PM
Aaron Boone

ae isn't just californian style, i wear it 2 and i don't buy regular vintage clothing cuz its dirty. and since when has a&f gone out of style? i live in ny and see it worn all the time so i can't say it has.
Old June 30th, 2004, 11:06 PM
First Mate

i bought snowboarding gloves from american eagle like three years ago and they ripped on me, i was so pissed that was the last time i bought stuff from there
Old July 2nd, 2004, 02:20 PM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to NotAnotherBlonde

i like hollister and abercrombie and american eagle and aeropostale and all the "in" clothes, but thats not b/c there in its bc i like it!! i dont care if i but somethin for 25 dollars i could get for 2.. o well. i like it.

<33 Kaitlyn
Old July 3rd, 2004, 04:25 PM
Passenger

Send a message via MSN to sportsgalcourtney

just cause you buy stuff from american eagle & hollister doesnt mean you want the "california look" i buy stuff from there all the time, cause i like the clothes and like how they fit not cause i want the "look"
Old July 3rd, 2004, 04:26 PM
Passenger

Send a message via MSN to sportsgalcourtney

its not the name or price or anything...if they sold the same looks at wal mart id buy them there...
Old July 3rd, 2004, 04:52 PM
Yeoman

Send a message via AIM to -Rob

Im not too big into hollister, but i am AF or abercrombie. Not just to say i shop there, just because they have more durable clothes. You can get a shirt from there any easily wear it 3 years later and it not look like a piece of S**t. My mom would rather me spend a few more bucks on clothes and have them last rather than shopping at a place thats cheaper and having to get new clothes every season due to the crappy look of the old ones. It alllll works out in the end.

-Rob
Old July 3rd, 2004, 05:53 PM

Author: Ally (---.avenel01.nj.comcast.net)
Date: 06-29-04 19:51

And anyway what do you care about other people's clothing styles? this discussion is as worthless as the male nipple

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Heyyyyyy. I'm insulted. Take that back.
Old July 3rd, 2004, 11:48 PM
katie*

actuallyy alll fetues start out as females then grow male reproductive parts...so thats were the nipple coems from, if u were wondering
Old July 4th, 2004, 01:10 AM
First Mate

actually your kinda right and wrong, an embro doesnt start out as either a male or female, but rather unisexual if you will, so it develops parts for both sexes at first like nipples for men, and then once the sex is determined they create more of the characteristic male or female hormones

Old July 4th, 2004, 10:08 AM
TaRaa

o wow.. what a great conversation.. haha
Old July 5th, 2004, 01:23 PM
katie*

ummm, nooo actually they all start out as females, really cosmopolitan magizine does not lie
Old July 5th, 2004, 08:28 PM
First Mate

sorry but really you gotta trust me on this one, AP bio does not lie

Old July 5th, 2004, 11:17 PM
katie*

ill goo get the magizine and type it word for word.....1 sec!, wow i jsut realized i was talking to myself. lol alright here it goes Cosmoplitan july 2004 issue: 'Why on earth do men have nipples?' "Strange as it sounds, it's because all guys begin life as girls."During the first six weeks in the womb, all fetuses develop as female and grow rudimentary genital tissue as well as nipples that have the potential to become functioning breasts," explains Randy Morris, a reproductive endocrinologist in Chicago. At the seventh week, however, sex cromosomes kick in, masculinizing the bodies of babies destined to be boys. "While the genital tissue grows the reproductive organs(penis and testes), the nipples are left as is, but without any biological function," Says Dr. Morris.

Dr. Morris does not lie...