Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Teen Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Teen Cruisers Teens - meet here, meet onboard.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 8th, 2004, 01:20 PM
clrgrd

Default Flying?

I have never flown farther than from Philly to Florada and next satruday we are flying from EWR (Newark NJ, just outside of NYC) to LAX and i understand it is a long flight, my friend flew to Italy on Delta and said tehy could get free headphones to listen to movies but i am flying on American (through US Air go figure) and i was wondering if they let you use your own headphones or if they even have movies. I am really nervous about such a long flight and pretty much the flight its self. Last time i felw i flew on a charterd plane filled with other kids from my highschool so i felt pretty safe but this time i dont feel as safe,i have never been on such a big plane for so long. Any advice?
Sponsored Links
Old July 8th, 2004, 01:44 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to DanPolulak
Default Re: Flying?

I understand you fully...

I hate to fly, but if you think about it, how bad could it really be? The flight to CA will probably last 4-5hours, and it will probably be boring. But airlines ususally use the newer larger planes for these routes, meaning you will have a TV built into your seat to watch movies and lisiten to music. If you feel uncomfortable you can stand up and walk around, or just take some stress medication. But, its alot better then driving, (which would take like 3days) and you will be with your family and are going on a cruise.

BTW planes are 100 times safer then cars...

RIP- Cruisemates Teen Host
Old July 8th, 2004, 01:55 PM
clrgrd

it is about 6 hours and i am kinda claustraphobic.....not taht simple....my mom is convinced that we are goingto have to pay to use headphones and i have a little using the bathroom on planes issue after my most recent trip to disney.
Old July 8th, 2004, 01:58 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to DanPolulak

Ohh I am claustrophobic- cant ride elevators, or rides that are shut in... I panic!

Basically, expect you are going to feel uncomfortable right when you sit down. Thats what happened to me when I flew by myself, but after maybe 5 min, I started to adjust to being in a small area, and eventually survived on my CD player. I suggest that you sit on the aisle, because if you sit by the window, you might feel a little cramped. Dont feel weird if you have to ask the flight attendent if you can move to an aisle seat because they are used to it, its their job to make passengers feel comfortable.

As for the bathroom, um... try to take care of that before the flight. I have never had to use one on an airplane.

Post Edited (07-08-04 14:00)

RIP- Cruisemates Teen Host
Old July 8th, 2004, 02:20 PM
clrgrd

well if it is 5 hours and 42 minutes and they give you something to drink (2 times according to a friend) takeing care of it before might not do it....flying to FLA it isnt hard i just drank to much at the airport....never be in the bathroom when you hit MAJOR turbulance....well never be on a plane of all highschool students that all know each other during turbulance especially....although it is a really scarey thing anyway!!! yelling up the isles...rolling things to people ect!
Old July 8th, 2004, 02:28 PM
Jerseygurl21

The idea of flying is scary to most people but don't worry about being to bored because it dosen't cost anything to use the headphones. As for your bathroom problem either hold it in or just go I don't think you will hit major turblance when going. Have fun on your cruise!
Old July 8th, 2004, 02:39 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via AIM to dj

I love flying I'm working on getting my private pilot's license
Old July 8th, 2004, 07:47 PM
clrgrd

thanks for the advice...i just went out and got battries and i am going to listen to music the whole time...to bad you cant during takeoff. I wonder if we will fly over the grand canyon? I am taking a bunch of magazines that i got in the mail last week to hopefully that should get me through.
Old July 8th, 2004, 09:50 PM
First Mate

Send a message via AIM to Joefoe

the flight wont be too bad, i took a 6 hour one this year and i got by with my walkman also, but as long as you just have some music or soemthing of the sort it goes by very quickly

Old July 8th, 2004, 09:57 PM
First Mate

Send a message via AIM to Sara754

Nope, I took the same flight but LAX to Newark a while ago, you dont fly over the Grand Canyon unless they've changed it.. As for the headphones, airlines never really charge for them anymore, and yeah there will probably be a movie. And as for the bathrooms, they're really not that bad, and there will be an announcement if you're going to hit turbulance so they pretty much warn you ahead of time.. It's really not as bad as you think.

Carnival Destiny 2004
Royal Caribbean Adventure of the Seas 2005
Royal Caribbean Empress of the Seas 2006
Crown Princess 2007
Carnival Valor 2009

Carnival Freedom June 2011!
Old July 8th, 2004, 10:18 PM
First Mate

Send a message via AIM to SoccerQT116

wow...on my flight to New Orleans before my cruise we had to pay i think 5 dollars for the headphones and we were on continental. And cd player headphones wouldnt fit in the plug so u couldnt use them. But it was a new plane cuz wen we went home we flew with continental and we had a different plane and it was older and didnt hav tvs or ne thing. Hopefully u get comfortable chairs so u can take a nap lol. That'll definitely make it go faster.

Previous Cruises:
Carnival Conquest: April 4th-11th 2004
Carnival Victory: April 20th-27th 2003
Old July 8th, 2004, 11:27 PM
First Mate

Haha, I'm gunna have HELL on my flight from Cali to Italy. I have no clue what to do for 14 hours.

Old July 9th, 2004, 01:23 AM
First Mate

Send a message via AIM to ttbryson

Specifically for American Airlines...

I flew American Airlines a year or two ago from Vancouver to Dallas then Dallas to Miami. Vancouver to Dallas wasnt that bad, meal and everything but was a long flight. Dallas to Miami was a pretty crappy flight, they gave us a "Bistro Bag" at the gate as we were boarding, with like a sandwich, snack mix and a mini-water bottle - wasn't impressed by this.

Unfortunatly, At that time, headphones to watch the movie/tv stuff/music channels were $10 US EACH. It was quite a rip off If you ask me. ($40 US for our family) And I tried my regular headphones in the jack and they didn't work.

--------------------
HAL - Oosterdam - May 05
RCI - Mariner of the Seas - August 04
HAL - Volendam - July 03
Old July 9th, 2004, 08:31 AM
Cruise Maniac

I don't like long flights either, my butt gets sore from sitting so long. I always get stuck by a boring person t00
Old July 9th, 2004, 10:34 AM
clrgrd

ok my mom just informed me that it is a US Air Flight run by United!!! Oops....i just dont listen well.
Old July 9th, 2004, 12:13 PM
cruiseprincess0162

i had to fly a few weeks ago from d.c to cincinnati. We were only soupossed to have an hour lay over and it turned into 2 almost 3!!We got on the plane and the pilot said there was bad weather comming so he had to get the other fligh plans. It turned out that the flight was gonna take longer so we had to get more gas. We finly got out to the runway but it turned out that there was 15+ planes waiting to take off. That was the worst flight ever! We were soupoosed to get to seattle at 10:47, we didnt get there till 12:47.
Im leaving for seattle on monday so hopefully we wont have any thing like that again!
<3
Jenna
Old July 9th, 2004, 08:18 PM
clrgrd

wehn my school flew us to diseny our first plane got delayed and when the second plane (well group we were useing hte same plane) of kids got there the plane hadent left FLA yet...it is a 2hr 45 minute flight and then the plane had to rest for so long!!! immagine a full plane load of kids wondering around a small airport...i think we scared people!
Old July 9th, 2004, 08:54 PM
Cruise Maniac

I flew on American Airlines 7 months ago from LAX to FLL. American Airlines did charge for their headphones. $2.00 each. My brother in-law brought his own and they did fit. So if you have a set that you like, take it along with you.
Hope you have a nice flight.

Monarch of the Seas Jan. 2005 Baja Calif.
NCL Dream Nov. 2005 Western Caribbean
Monarch of the Seas Mar 2006 Baja Calif.
NCL Star Oct. 2006 Mexican Riviera
NCL Pearl Nov. 2007 Southern Caribbean
Mariner of the Seas May 2009 Pacific Coastal
Mariner of the Seas June 2009 Mexican Riviera
RCI Radiance of the Seas
Old July 9th, 2004, 10:00 PM
runnergirl

Flying to Tampa for our cruise recently we almost missed our connecting flight in Pitt. We only had a 50 minute lay over to begin with and then our first flight got delayed 25 minutes. It was crazy cuz Pitt is a huge air port and all 11 of us had to sprint though it to get our next flight. The flight wasn't bad though cuz it was only 2 hours. No movie though so i just slept... thats what i usually do.
Old July 9th, 2004, 10:14 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via AIM to sean26

I love to fly. I am going to start working towards my private pilot rating in Feburary. If you guys think 6 hours on a plane is bad you obviously haven't heard about the new world record for the longest flight in the world. It is from New York to Singapore and it's 19 hours. Just think about that the next time your on a 6 hour flight and be glad your not on that flight.

i'M oUt,
sEaN
Old July 10th, 2004, 05:56 AM
Juss

Default Re: Re: Flying?

i jus got bak from an 8hour flight yesterday. they had 2 movies and sum funny shows. bring magazines and music if the movies rnt good. and if ur tired maybe ull even sleep.
Old July 10th, 2004, 08:37 AM
cruiseprincess0162

we had a 35 min layover in atlanta and for those of ya'll that don't know its a huge air port. We were running to the gate in a another terminal. We made the flight but our bags didn't. My bag had my dads fathers day presents and every thing. So i was a lil disapointed but it turned out okay!
XoXo
Jenna
Old July 10th, 2004, 02:24 PM
clrgrd

when my dad was coming back from ft.lauderdale and his cruise agent training october coming up on 2 years ago his bag didnt get back with him but US Air was nice enough to return it.....at 1 am on a school night!
Old July 10th, 2004, 03:59 PM
First Mate

I hate flying too. Thats why i go on at least 2 cruises a year out of NYC,NJ,Philly,and brooklyn becauase there so close i dont have to fly and if it was an hour flight to like maryland or boston i wouldnt care.
Oh and i did got to LAX 2years ago its crowded but it is very nice and has alot of resteraunts and shops but the flight was so dam long though i had to stop there to go to hawwaii wich was worth it

Carnival Legend Next july sometime----------booked already
Old August 1st, 2004, 11:56 AM
First Mate

Hey peeps..jsut wanna say that i HATE flying..every yr i like make such a performance on the plane. i get sooo scared i hate it!! this yr we r flying 2 italy but it's a 3 hr flight as i live in egland!
Old August 1st, 2004, 12:42 PM
First Mate

Well i wouldnt say safer then a ship because if a plane crashed you have no chanch. If a ship was sinking youd have a pretty good chanch because they have life boats and you wouldnt get injured or killed at all.
Old August 1st, 2004, 12:45 PM
First Mate

ah dnt say that..gets me even more scared lol! wot cruise u all going on again?
Old August 1st, 2004, 01:51 PM
First Mate

well i lvie in england..im flyin 2 italy 2 get my cruise! how old r ya?
Old August 1st, 2004, 02:08 PM
First Mate

!! ur cool..where u from..wot cruise u goin on?
Old August 1st, 2004, 02:15 PM
First Mate

mm same..u from usa?