Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Teen Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Teen Cruisers Teens - meet here, meet onboard.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 12th, 2004, 02:54 PM
Twirler

Default Redneck Racist?

Just wondering....I'm from Alabama and I have been on several different trips this summer and met many people from all over, but it seems to me that when they find out where I'm from, they immediately assume that I am a redneck and a racist. Does everyone else have that opinion of Alabamians?
Sponsored Links
Old July 12th, 2004, 02:55 PM
Twirler

Default Re: Redneck Racist?

*by the way, I know this has nothing to do with cruises, but it's a place where I can get several opinions from a variety of people. Thanks for any input!
Old July 12th, 2004, 03:15 PM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to Ty Send a message via Yahoo to Ty

I feel u since I am African American I was concerned with racists on cruises becuz i just wanted to relax and not kick anybodys a**, to me i dont portray anybody becuz theyre from a ceartin place or becuz theyre a ceartin color, i like people for who they are, if youre nice to me i am nice to you, and i have met plenty of friends from so called racist states. Just dont worry ,you know what you are and what you arent, just let them know.

Carnival Fantasy
Monarch of the Seas
Voyager of the Seas
Navigator of the Seas
Old July 12th, 2004, 08:09 PM
Twirler

I hate stereotypes!
Old July 12th, 2004, 08:57 PM
Passenger

I'm from Columbus, Georgia, right on the border of Alabama, so a bunch of kids at my school live in Alabama. The bad thing is...the Georgians like to make Alabama redneck jokes, and as we are the state that I think as the largest KKK group, we are not to be talking. I hear you though. A lot of people think that all Georgians are racist, but we're not. Just my 2 cents.
Kerry
Old July 13th, 2004, 04:59 AM
First Mate

Send a message via AIM to Cruisechic2005 Send a message via Yahoo to Cruisechic2005

I don't judge people by where they are from, and i hate people that do. I'm from New York, Upstate, and i always have to say upstate cuz everyone assumes that im from the city. I pitty people who sterotype others and don't judge them by their true person because they can't see how great that person is for being themselves... plus if you automatically judge someone by their skin color or where they're from you have a possability of missing out on a great thing!! Oh yeah BTW im white if that matters at all lol

Unforgetable!
Old July 13th, 2004, 09:05 AM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to Ty Send a message via Yahoo to Ty

Great point cruisechic, i too am from the New York, but Brooklyn in the city. People assume that i have this bad mentality cuz im from there buts its not true.

Carnival Fantasy
Monarch of the Seas
Voyager of the Seas
Navigator of the Seas
Old July 13th, 2004, 09:58 AM
Cruise Maniac

im from WV and ive got sum jokes replying to rednecks only once on a cruise tho and i dont see why they do it i dont even sound like a redneck im from nitro...close to charleston and NO WHERE NEAR the REAL rednecks in the mountians....lol....soo i just think people who make jokes like those are stuck up and are probably tryin to look cool for sum1 or just tryin to be funny....
Old July 13th, 2004, 11:48 AM
Dianaa

Many people stereotype all the time. I think its because they are afraid to accept those who are different. God created every individual to be unique. The world, especially America, is a very diverse place and it would be boring if everyone was the same. Instead of criticizing people because of their race or where they come from, you should take the opportunity to learn about their background. Everybody does not look the same, talk, act, or dress the same either. I remember when I went on a cruise two years ago out of California, most of the people on board were from the western side of the country. I'm from New York and everybody said I "talked weird" and had an accent, but they were still willing to. And Ty, I agree with you. Many people assume I also have a bad mentality just because I'm from New York.
Old July 13th, 2004, 11:51 AM
Dianaa

oops..meant to write "willing to accept me"..I think I should start reading my message over before I post it! lol
Old July 13th, 2004, 12:50 PM
Twirler

Yeah, I agree with all of ya'll, but honestly, do ya'll think of Alabamians that way? Or have I just ran into the wrong people? I mean, I won't be offended or anything because that's all you've ever known I guess. See, Ty, I agree that I think of people from Brooklyn to have that bad boy attitude, and you may not, but that's all I've known and all I've seen on TV, so ya'll just come across that way. I guess I shouldn't stereotype either. That's probably one of my biggest flaws, but hey, you know what they say....the first step to solving a prob is admitting you have it! :-)
Old July 13th, 2004, 01:15 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Tauruschick

Cruisechic2005, I agree with you completely. I'm from Buffalo, NY and all people think of when they think Buffalo is chicken wings, snow and Niagara Falls. They think we're right by the city and it does get annoying. Our side of the state is usually completely ignored when it come to funding for things. Now that I'm done ranting, you really shouldn't judge someone by where they come from. You can miss out on some great people.

Adventure of the Seas 2/05
Serenade of the Seas 2/06
Monarch of the Seas 7/06
Liberty of the Seas 8/07
Majesty of the Seas 5/08
Old July 13th, 2004, 01:40 PM
MoaiMT79

For all the people who live in upstate NY, i live on long island, and i think we are even more stereotyped then you are. People should just learn to accept people for who they are rather then judge them on where there from or the color of their skin.
Old July 13th, 2004, 02:53 PM
Dianaa

I don't think of Alabamians as racists or rednecks, and actually I have never met anybody from Alabama. The first thing that comes to my mind when I think of Alabama is farms and the people having accents, although I have never been there to know if thats true.
Old July 13th, 2004, 06:10 PM
Twirler

Well, I do have to admit that I definately have "uh reeeel kuntreee aksint!" :-) But that's ok. ! It's so funny though because when I talk to people from other places they are always like, "OMG! I love to hear you talk!" But I on the other hand love British accents. :-)
Old July 13th, 2004, 06:12 PM
Twirler

*and there is this lady who leaves in the same town as me who was born in England and lived there for like the first ten years of her life, but then she moved down here. She is like 65 now so she still has her original British accent with a little southern country twang added in. ! It's funny to hear her talk
Old July 16th, 2004, 12:03 AM
First Mate

Send a message via AIM to nurd13

Being from Orange County, California, I get a lot of stereotypes whenever I meet someone. Let me tell you, it is nothing like "The O.C." or the movie "Orange County." If you meet someone from where I live, please don't bring those topics up. I could rant for a long time about the reasons and differences but I don't feel like it.

Ecstasy Baja Mexico 8/02
Carnival Spirit Alaska 7/03
Ecstasy Baja Mexico 8/03
Adventure of the Seas Southern Caribbean 12/04
Carnival Pride Mexican Riviera 8/05

Caribbean Travel Tips
Old July 16th, 2004, 05:32 AM
kissy

hey..i jus wanna say that i dnt think like that..i think that any one who assumes ur racist is really unfair coz its not tru