Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Teen Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Teen Cruisers Teens - meet here, meet onboard.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 16th, 2004, 11:59 AM
Captain

Default Surprising my daughters with a cruise

Hello!

I just booked a trip on the Carnival Victory for November 28th, 2004. I am not going to mention it to my 13(almost 14) year old daughter until we are about to board the ship. She is a little shy and I was wondering if you guys think this is a good idea to surprise her or if I should just tell her. Do you think she will have a hard time making friends or will she be ok? What hints can you offer to make this the surprise of her life? Her dad and I have cruised 4 times all on Carnival but this time will be different for sure. You seem like a nice bunch and your help would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Old September 16th, 2004, 03:02 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to DanPolulak
Default Re: Surprising my daughters with a cruise

Wow, this is a hard one...

I would think it was cool if my parents drove me to the port one day and was like, "Ok surprise were going on a cruise!"

But, depending on how shy she is, you might want to tell her, or ask her how important it is to meet people on a cruise... Just my opinion...

RIP- Cruisemates Teen Host
Old September 16th, 2004, 06:31 PM
Captain

Default Re: Re: Surprising my daughters with a cruise

She is not so shy that she has no friends she is just a little quiet until you get to know her and then look out!

Would your suggestion be to make sure she attends the meet and greet on the first night that I read about on this site?Is the teen stuff aimed at older teens or will there be just as many younger teens on the boat?

Sorry to be a pest, I'm a nervous wreck trying to make it so that she is happy and so that she has lots of freedom without parents bugging her but it has been a while since I've been a teen and I am way out of touch.
Old September 16th, 2004, 07:21 PM
Passenger

Tell her to go to all the teen events, especially the first few nights. The teen counselors are great and try to get the teens to have fun. She will have no trouble meeting people at all. Depending on what cruise line ( i've never been on carnival) the teens will be separated by age, but there is people of all ages on board. Have fun!
Old September 17th, 2004, 11:11 PM
Sade

We just came back from our cruise. I have 2 daughters, and I worried about them enjoying it too. But I read these message boards and took the other kids advice and made them promise to meet the other kids the first night. It really is good advice. My girls, (ages15&16), had a great time. Even if they didn't do the group activities, all the kids just hung out together. So if I had to give you any advice at all it would be to make her do that. The first night all the kids are nervous, so it's the best time to meet. I told my girls to try the first night, if they didn't like it , they didn't have to do it again. They were more willing to try that way. After the first night they couldn't wait to meet up with the other kids after dinner. Have a great time!
Old September 18th, 2004, 06:48 AM
cruiseprincess0162

I just rembered that my parents surprised me for my first cruise. It was so much! We went in the middle of January but we still had alot of teens, 66 if I rember. I went on the s/s norwya so it didnt have as many upscale things but it was stil nice. It was also alot more fun because we had alot of family with us. I'm an extremly out going girl so could just go up to people and start talking. Tell her to deffiently go to the teen activites on the first and second day so she can meet kids.
Hope this helps!
Jenna
Old September 18th, 2004, 07:11 AM
First Mate

Jenna!! wow i went on the SS norway!! lol
Old September 18th, 2004, 04:47 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via MSN to Nick_9000

Yes definitly! dont tell her! I would like faint if my parents drove me to a peir and said surprise!

Old September 18th, 2004, 05:57 PM
cruiseprincess0162

when did you go?!?!1
xoxo
Jenna
Old September 19th, 2004, 07:10 PM
First Mate

Send a message via AIM to sparklingeyez9

if u just show up at the peir how are u going to be all packed hah .. i wood have a heart attack if if i had all clothes my mom packed me lol .. n wood want some time 2 prepare but i think a suprise is awesome i wou;ld tell the mlike the night b4 or osmething .. hah i wish my parents wood surpise me with a cruise

Old September 19th, 2004, 07:13 PM
Passenger

yea i agree sparklingeyes.. like a suprise is awesome and all.. but seriously if my mom packed the clothes for me id die haha.. i would tell her the day before or a few days early so she could have time to gloat about it or wahtever & especially pack... thats a really good idea, my first cruise is in feb.. and if it were to be a suprise i would be sooooo happy haha..
Old October 5th, 2004, 10:55 AM
Captain

Thank you all for your help. In reference to the clothes packing it was really easy for me. We just packed all of our summer stuff away because it is now too cold where we live to wear shorts. I took her very best friend shopping for formal wear that is for "christmas", hopefully she'll forgive me for the lie. I just took all the stuff that she did not dump into the goodwill or too small pile and packed it in a suitcase(actually three suitcases). I hope to just grab her makeup kit and personal stuff while she is at school on the day we depart. We are flying to Miami Beach for two nights first and since she has always wanted to go there I don't think they will ever guess that we are putting them on the ship on Sunday afternoon. I will send her to the teen activities on the first night for sure as that seems like a great idea. And since it sounds like the majority of you would like the surprise I will remain hopeful that I can pull it off. Once again thank you to all. If you have more suggestions I am open.
Old October 5th, 2004, 07:02 PM
First Mate

Send a message via AIM to sparklingeyez9

wow you do sound like u no what ur doing with the packing . haha if my mom did it id be scared seh wood forget lyk all ym jewelry and makeup and whatever. .but u denfintly habve it all planned out good ... i wood be THRILLED if my parnets did that for me i think its the best suprise you could give somone!! well good lucck
Old October 13th, 2004, 04:54 PM
clrgrd

i think it would be fun cuze there are always a bunch of teens. but just one thing...what about packing!!!! if my parents would pack for me (im 15 almost 16 but this would have been true when i was 13) i would flip because i like taking what i am comfey in!
Old October 15th, 2004, 02:58 PM
clrgrd

one more thing,
what about school work, i have to get an emergency permit signed to miss any planned day of school and make it up so unless you are going during a break you may want to think about that
Old October 15th, 2004, 03:44 PM
Yeoman

Send a message via AIM to duct_tape_pro Send a message via MSN to duct_tape_pro Send a message via Yahoo to duct_tape_pro

um... clrgrd ive been on 2 cruises during school and that didnt happen for me or any of the ppl i met

Old October 16th, 2004, 08:17 PM
First Mate

Accutally my parents did that too me and they just said pick out 7days worth of cloths were going somewhere and your things.
Old October 17th, 2004, 09:08 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via AIM to branflakes1991 Send a message via Yahoo to branflakes1991

That is the coolest thing in the world! OMG. If my mom did that, I would freak! But, the thing is, I would always bug her about booking a cruise, and she would have to tell me why shes not. But, if it was my first time that'd be like awesome! Gee, i sound really spoiled. :-)

Carnival Triumph