Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Teen Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Teen Cruisers Teens - meet here, meet onboard.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 10th, 2005, 12:47 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default This is just how I feel about it....

Ok. This is probably gonna seem mean, and I'm probably going to get burned for this, but this is about the hurricane Katrina.
All those people who are asking for our help, they are the ones to blame for not leaving. (most of them are.) They were told to leave, but decided not to. Now they are asking for all of these resources and money, and they didnt do what they were told to do. You cannot just simply wait out a class 5 hurricane in a completely below sea level town surrounded by bodies of water everywhere you look.
You know, I feel bad for them, and I hope the death toll stays low, but they shouldve left when they were told to.
pink*peanut

Past Cruises:
Explorer of the Seas---October '04
Vision of the Seas------February'06

Next Cruise:
Liberty of the Seas---March 8th-15th, 2008
Sponsored Links
Old September 10th, 2005, 02:48 AM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to ShaneMC316 Send a message via MSN to ShaneMC316 Send a message via Yahoo to ShaneMC316
Default Re: This is just how I feel about it....

Yeah I TOTALLY agree with you!

I also think that the Mayor of NO and the Gov. of LA are to blame! They had DAYS to prepared and evacuate as many people as possible, but the only solution was to stick them inside a big building at the BOTTOM of the city!

whats your email or IM G-Girl, wanna ask u a question.

thanks!
Old September 10th, 2005, 11:26 AM
jamie m

you make a good point
Old September 10th, 2005, 01:38 PM
baseballboy

I don't feel that way. Some might have been able to leave, but most had no way. No car, no money. And leave to where without "asking for resources". Who was handing out money or shelters BEFORE the hurricane? Did you expect people with nothing to just start walking around America?
Old September 10th, 2005, 04:52 PM
lisette

Well, I also agree with pink*peanut. It does seem that the nation as a whole could have saved a lot of money and resorces if those people had only done what they were told and even just walked to higher ground out of town. But I hear from people down there that they've had so many threts of "The Big One" coming that it's like the story of the boy who cried wolf. So many people thought it was just going to be a small storm no matter how many people told them to leave. Sad, too.

My brother is leaving WA State in a few days with the National Guard to help down there. I hope that conditions improve rapidly for the refugees and the people there helping out!!
Old September 10th, 2005, 05:27 PM
First Mate

All of you, except baseballboy, should be shot. that is one of the most selfish and uneducated things i have ever heard. the people who are asking for help now are the poorest of the poorest amerians. they had no money or no car to get out of the city. 70%of the people in new orleans are african american and 30% of new orleanians are beneath the poverty level. most of the people asking for help are the poorest of the people. so next time you deciede to say a stupid comment like that think twice.
Old September 10th, 2005, 05:44 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via AIM to LuLu

I agree All the way!

Most of them could get out and did not. And even if they were so poor and they could not find a ride out they could at least started to walk.......they would have a good chance of being pick up by someone.
Old September 10th, 2005, 06:44 PM
Cruise Maniac

CruiseLover,
yes, I know that most of NO people are very poor. But a lot of the people that they are talking about who cannot leave are the ones who were able to.

ShaneMC316 made a good point when they said - "I also think that the Mayor of NO and the Gov. of LA are to blame! They had DAYS to prepared and evacuate as many people as possible, but the only solution was to stick them inside a big building at the BOTTOM of the city!"

Lisette. You are totally right about how they kept talking about the "big one" coming. And how people were tired of hearing it.

I was in the big flood of April of 1997 in North Dakota when the Red River flooded. I was young then. But when we were told to leave, we did. I remember my parents coming in at about midnight to say, "Get out of bed. We're going somewhere." "Then I replied, "Are we going on vacation?" Then I heard, "Yes. Sort of." Then my parents took my toddler brother and I down stairs and told us to take a quick look at it. It was weird to see all of our belongings up on cement blocks. I didnt know why. But then we were rushed out of our house. We traveled by car to the nearest safest town which was Fargo. We had to find an appartment that would house us and our 2 cats. That was hard. We moved around OFTEN. We even stayed with grandparents who had a small house a couple of states over for a couple of weeks. When we came back, we had 6 feet of water in our basement. We were never told how much water would come in. We thought that it would be small and prepared for that. Because people did what they were told to do, it was a lot better.
pink*peanut

ps. ShaneMC316, I dont feel really comfortable giving out my email adress to people I dont know. You can ask me here though. Sorry.

Past Cruises:

Next Cruise:
Old September 10th, 2005, 09:50 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to DanPolulak

I can see it both ways...

Living in Florida, almost weekly during hurricane season we watch a storm. Sometimes the weather stations blow it way out of proportion and scare people to leave, and nothing happens. They say a storm with 120mph winds is comming, and all we get is a thunderstorm with 25mph winds... no joke.

But it does bother me how when we try to help these people out, they dont want it! We provide them with cruise ships as shelters, and they refuse to go on them. Yes I understand they want to find lost family members, but those who just dont want to move out of the superdome I think is unacceptable.

RIP- Cruisemates Teen Host
Old September 21st, 2005, 10:43 AM
Passenger

Think about all the people that had to be airlifted from the roofs of their houses. Yes, there are a lot of poor people but if you can afford a house then you have the means to leave the city, period. Don't have a car? Ride with someone who does! Those helicopters could have been put to better use had those idiots heeded the warnings and evacuation notices and left their houses. For instance, they could have been airlifting out the elderly and sick. Also, the local government totally dropped the ball. Resources were available that were not used. Hundreds of school buses went unused for instance. IMHO Pres. Bush does not deserve the blame being aimed his way.
Old September 21st, 2005, 07:11 PM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by clbell
Pres. Bush does not deserve the blame being aimed his way.
I totally agree with that! He doesn't control the weather. He's not the mayor. Why should HE get blamed for something that wasnt his fault???

Who should be blamed are the people who were able to get out but didnt.
pink*peanut

Past Cruises:

Next Cruise:
Old September 23rd, 2005, 09:41 PM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to drama_dude_renee Send a message via MSN to drama_dude_renee Send a message via Yahoo to drama_dude_renee

im sorta in the middle here. i think its so sad that so many people lost thier homes and some family members but its not their fault the hurricane happened. sure the people in NO could have evacuated the city when they were first told but who belives things when they havnt happend yet? and can you imagine leaving your house and all your favourite belongings behind you in a house that holds so many memories. in my opinion they were stupid for not leaving but i also feel sorry for them because they lost stuff that can never be regained. i thank god every day that i live in canada where there arnt many natural disasters and i hope that everyone in the states are safe and cared for.

Carnival Valor March 8, 2009