Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Teen Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Teen Cruisers Teens - meet here, meet onboard.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 22nd, 2007, 02:21 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Djcarolina
Default CRUISE REVIEW MARINER OF THE SEAS APRIL 1, 2007

I kno Kristina said post it in the sticky and i did but i figured i'd make a seperate post so it'd get a bit more attention since it took about an hour and a half to write. So here ya go.

Mariner of the Seas Review for April 1, 2007
Stats:

Ship Name: Mariner of the Seas
Sail Date: April 1, 2007
Number of Days: 7
Itinerary:
Day 1: Port Canaveral Fl.
Day 2: Coco Cay, Bahamas
Day 3: At Sea
Day 4: St. Thomas
Day 5: Phillipsburg, St. Maarten
Day 6: At Sea
Day 7: At Sea

Ports of Call: The Mariner of the Seas visited 3 ports on our Eastern Caribbean itinerary. Being that I have been to all 3 before, multiple times, I only got off at St. Thomas so my review for the ports will focus on that port only. First of all, any cruiser who is planning on traveling to a USVI from a US port (Port Canaveral for me) should know that you must present yourself to US Customs for inspection whether you intend to get off the ship or not. So after my family and I cleared customs, we proceeded off the ship to the breathtaking island of St. Thomas USVI. In port with us were the Costa Magica and Royal Caribbean Radiance of the Seas. In another port on the other side of the island were 2 Holland America Ships (Westerdam and Zuiderdam I think) and in the Harbor was the Disney Magic. My family and I had decided to take a Shore Excursion to Magens Bay. In the past all of our shore excursions have been disasters, this one was no different. Well it wasn’t a disaster but the outcome was less than desirable. We boarded our safari bus for a roller coaster ride to the top of the mountain for a BREATHTAKING view of the bay. Although the area where we viewed was highly congested and quite dangerous. Anyhow we then proceeded back down the hill to one of “The Worlds Most Beautiful Beaches?. Well that was BS. To envision Magen’s bay, think trashy state park. I could go into detail but it was most definitely a tourist trap and I’ll leave it at that. Therefore my family and I got a good laugh as we got a taxi back to the port before the safari shuttle of the tour had completely unloaded. Back in port I stopped by one of the 1000s of jewelry shops and purchased myself a new ring and then our family had a really good lunch in this little Deli behind the shops. I then proceeded back on the ship. And that was the first last and only port for me. My suggestion for people going to St Thomas: It’s a GORGEOUS island. Grab a taxi and take a ride because you’ll see far more than just taking a tour.
The Ship: The Mariner of the Seas is an astounding piece of art. I say that because it truly is an art for something that large to float across the globe with nearly 5,000 people onboard (guests and crew). Its hard to believe that the Mariner of the Seas is nearly 4 years old. It looks brand new in all of the public areas. On April 29,2007, however, the Mariner will be taken into Dry Dock for a period of time while the entire ship is refurbished. It was evident that some of the preparations were being made during my Spring Break cruise. The crew was removing handrails and refinishing the wooden ones. Overall I’d say that one of the areas that need the most attention is the teen facilities. They’re starting to show some wear and tear from the teens that go through there every week. All of the public areas were kept clean for the entire duration of the cruise and I hadn’t the first time to see a piece of trash lying around the ship which I consider a major task for a ship as large as the mariner. My final comments go towards our cabin. My mom and I booked a regular balcony cabin and somehow ended up with a handicap cabin and people let me tell you that this is the way to go. Its by far the largest cabin I’ve ever been in that wasn’t a suite. There was more than ample closet space and LOTS of walking room. The bathroom was what amazed me. It was the size of a small cabin! And the balcony was about 2X as large as well. Nice Job RCI, Thanks a LOT!!!

The Food: The food on this trip was FAR better than on our previous Mariner of the Seas cruise. We dined in all of the restaurants with the exception of Portofino. So I’ll outline them:
Formal Dining Room-Top Hats & Tails Table 400: I had dinner in the formal dining room on 3 of the 7 nights. Typically I’m not very big on the whole sit down and spend 2 hours eating thing BUT, this time RCI did a good job of keeping the meal to a reasonable time. 2 of the nights I ate in the FDR were the 2 formal nights and of course one of them was LOBSTER night. I hate seafood in general but that was good. Out of all the cruises I’ve taken I think this was the best “Fisherman’s Plate? dinner I’ve ever had. I give the culinary team a high 5 for their service and food in the dining room.
Johnny Rockets at Sea: I ate in Johnny Rockets 3 times throughout the cruise and although the experience was good its getting a little old. RCI should look for some other outside franchise to bring onto their Genesis ships. Johnny Rockets food is good but greasy and sometimes a bit loud. Overall I’d say that its good to do it once a cruise but otherwise Johnny Rockets is just like every other fast food joint in the states. Nothing amazing here.
Chops Grille: This was THE BEST meal of the cruise by far. The quality of the food and the service in Chops is by far the best of any restaurant that I’ve ever visited and that’s quite a compliment considering the amount of travel that I do. The steak was seasoned and cooked perfectly (10 Oz. Filet Mignon).
The Windjammer/Jade: The food in the Windjammer and Jade was at one time mediocre and comparable to a cheap Chinese buffet but without the selection. However, I must admit that in the time since my last Mariner cruise, some serious reforms have been put into place in the buffet area. Jade had a wide variety of Asian food this time and most of it was recognizable! Lol And in the Windjammer, the food actually changed from day to day and was surprisingly good. The addition of the “Meats Cooked To Order? including beef, pork, chicken, and salmon was a nice treat considering that most of the meats were usually just tossed out there and now u could order whatever you wanted, how you wanted it. This section only appeared once on the previous cruise. I give the Windjammer thumbs up for improvement since the last cruise. And all of that ^^ goes for breakfast, tea, lunch, and dinner.
Café Promenade: Café promenade is notorious for being THE place for teens to hang after the club closed and this cruise was no different. As a matter of fact on a few occasions, the Deck Patrol sat with us and shot the bull! How cool is that. Café Promenade is home to a small deli, pizza parlor open till 3am, bar and Ben & Jerry’s Ice Cream. The food here is always great and just what u need when its 3am and u refuse to give up and go to your cabin!
Room Service: So yeah, aside from the last night I ordered room service and thoroughly enjoyed it! By night 5 the guy answering told me it was on its way cuz they already knew I was gonna call!

The Service: The service on all of my Mariner of the Seas cruises has been amazing. My cabin steward danced with me in the middle of the night, my waiter always had quick service and something interesting to say, even the usually cranky ppl at the pursers .. excuse me “Guest Relations? desk were polite and appealing at 4am when I had deactivated my SeaPass and was locked out of my stateroom. Everyone was awesome. And surprisingly so was the Deck Partol who I nicknamed “Big Bird Rent-a-Cops? for their yellow attire. Overall the Mariners officers, crew and staff were all wonderful and hard to leave.

The People and Teen Club: This was THE highlight of the entire vacation. The people in the teen groups this time all had great chemistry and for the first time ever, there were no little cliques of people who hated each other. Everyone got along well and I’m proud to say that this cruise was completely DRAMA FREE! WoW! As for me, well keeping my bragging to a minimum I had a great time with the girls on the ship and along with a few other guys and Token, we dominated the teen club, grinding all night every night with different people nearly every song. There was of course plenty of action that took place out of the club but anyone interested in that (weirdos) will have to PM me. The teen club was hot every night with a large group of teens. The only night that the teen club didn’t pick up was the night of the AMAZING deck party at which we all hung and for the first time grinded at a deck party!! The people on Spring Break 2007 were awesome and made that cruise worthy of an award so for the first time since June of 2005, the prestigious title of BEST CRUISE will be changed to the Mariner of the Seas voyage of April 1, 2007 and Spring Break 07!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Entertainment: The entertainment on the ship is absolutely magnificent. There is a detailed outline below:

Pure Energy/Variety/Review Shows- The shows in the Savoy theater are awesome. An amazing combination of light, sound, elaborate costumes, acrobatics, pyrotechnics, and stunts that defy the common perception of what one would find at sea. The shows, namely Pure Energy, the 80s review show are all very well designed and are amazing especially considering that this all takes place on a MOVING SHIP! My congrats go out to the Royal Caribbean Singers and Dancers and to the Show band Musicians.
Parades: The Mariner of the Seas is home to 2 parades each cruise. The first is on the first night and is a lively Caribbean tribute parade that incorporates elaborate costumes and representation from every member of the Mariner’s crew including the International Ice Cast, Entertainers, Adventure Ocean Staff, Service Crew, Social Hosts, Dining Room attendants and more! The 2nd show is a lively magical experience that transforms the Royal Promenade into a majestic castle hallway where knights, unicorns, elves and villains traverse through the walkway ending with an explosive shower of confetti!
Ice Under The Big Top: The ice show is well worth getting up to get tickets for. I find it amazing to this day how so many people skate choreographed on such a small piece of ice and all the while the ship is moving! The show itself is cool with a Cirque De Soliel type of feel. Also there is a special guest star for each show and a silk act which is a must see. I find that the entire production is perfectly put together. The actors/skaters, lighting, music, and acrobatics are all amazing.
Disco Deck Party: This is a new idea for Royal Caribbean and supposedly was implemented only 2 cruises previous to my own. The days of the boring deck party with just food and the YMCA and Cha-Cha Slide are OVER. First of all there wasn’t some cheesy band playing Play That Funky Music for 10 minutes in a Caribbean way like I had expected. There was a real DJ spinning on digital turntables and HE WAS GREAT. The dance area was packed; people were pushed into the bar and flowing out into the sides in all directions. The party was hot from 9 to 1 and there wasn’t a single break. DJ Anthony really knew what he was doing and from 12-1 was a hip hop section for all the teens and “young people? and we loved that! Grinding galore!

Overall Opinion: The Mariner was an awesome vacation, clearly characterized by the title of Best Cruise. If anyone has any specific questions about the ship feel free to PM or IM or Email me! Its “Like No Vacation On Earth? so “Get Out There?.

MY RATING

10 out of 5 stars

Oasis of the Seas
Allure of the Seas
Freedom of the Seas
Mariner of the Seas
Navigator of the Seas
Grandeur of the Seas
Enchantment of the Seas
Brilliance of the Seas
Jewel of the Seas
Monarch of the Seas
Voyager of the Seas
Sovereign of the Seas
Fantasy
Sensation
Fascination
Carnival Glory
Carnival Valor
Carnival Conquest
Cunard Queen Mary 2
Disney Magic/Wonder
Cruise Total as of July 2014: 118 Cruises
Sponsored Links
Old April 22nd, 2007, 03:03 AM
Yeoman

Send a message via AIM to SuperGreg

Props Ryan! Great Review! I hate it how on everyone else's cruise, the security weren't assholes to the teens... so I don't have anybody else "on my side"!

But aside from that, how could the Mariner's teen club be improved?

Future Cruises!
NONE!!

Past Cruises!
Royal Caribbean- Vision of the Seas- Dec. 31, 2006 - January 7, 2007
Carnival Pride- Dec. 18-25, 2005
Celebrity Summit- Summer 2004
Carnival Ecstasy
Carnival Elation

And Many more that can't remember off the top of my head!
Cruise Lines I Have Been On
Carnival (many times)
Royal Caribbean (many times)
Celebrity

University of Arizona '12!
Old April 22nd, 2007, 03:49 PM
Admiral

Well they just put in new carpet in Fuel which was like really weird cuz by the end of the night the top layer of fuzz would get kicked up and it'd leave little fuzzballs all over the place, pretty gross. Otherwise i think the cieling needs some work because the textured metal is showing a lot of dents where idiots (guilty myself) have hit it and caused indentations. The fabric on the couches in both the Living Room and Fuel could use an update because there are starting to be some questionable stains and the rubber floor/circle with The Living Room Logo in TLR REALLY needs to be replaced cuz its lookin like shizznit. But aside from those things the teen clubs were always packed and despite the age on some stuff, we all just overlooked it and had an awesome time. Oh and i'm deff. on ur side with security, I was just lucky that the ones on my ship just didnt give a crap. I'm sure however that if we had been a group of rowdy, destructive teens that some action woulda been taken. Heres another tip that i forgot to add in the review. There were 900 teens between 12 and 17 on that cruise! Over 1/3 of the passengers on the ship were teenagers!!

Oasis of the Seas
Allure of the Seas
Freedom of the Seas
Mariner of the Seas
Navigator of the Seas
Grandeur of the Seas
Enchantment of the Seas
Brilliance of the Seas
Jewel of the Seas
Monarch of the Seas
Voyager of the Seas
Sovereign of the Seas
Fantasy
Sensation
Fascination
Carnival Glory
Carnival Valor
Carnival Conquest
Cunard Queen Mary 2
Disney Magic/Wonder
Old April 22nd, 2007, 04:14 PM
Cruise Maniac

this ship goes into dry dock on the 29th ( i dunno if you said this) so i think i was really good how they were replacing rails when inless than a month it was goint into dry dock, i am on this ship in july and hope i had just as a great time as you did

Past Cruises
Disney Wonder-July 7 2005
Enchantment OTS-July 12th 2006
Mariner OTS-July 8th 2007
Old April 22nd, 2007, 05:05 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djcarolina
There were 900 teens between 12 and 17 on that cruise! Over 1/3 of the passengers on the ship were teenagers!!
900?! ooh wow!!

Good review!! Thanks for sharing some more of your wonderful cruise knowledge!!
Old April 22nd, 2007, 08:44 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by iicruiseeto05
this ship goes into dry dock on the 29th ( i dunno if you said this) so i think i was really good how they were replacing rails when inless than a month it was goint into dry dock, i am on this ship in july and hope i had just as a great time as you did
Yeah i think i said it somewhere in there but i'm sure you'll have an awesome time. Tammy should still be there in the teen club she's taking another contract. OO and she got married last cruise in St. Thomas!!! Her now-husband is a chef in Chops!!!!

Oasis of the Seas
Allure of the Seas
Freedom of the Seas
Mariner of the Seas
Navigator of the Seas
Grandeur of the Seas
Enchantment of the Seas
Brilliance of the Seas
Jewel of the Seas
Monarch of the Seas
Voyager of the Seas
Sovereign of the Seas
Fantasy
Sensation
Fascination
Carnival Glory
Carnival Valor
Carnival Conquest
Cunard Queen Mary 2
Disney Magic/Wonder
Old April 22nd, 2007, 09:01 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to girl_next_door

whoaaaaaaa 900 ?!?! omg thats so many. on my empress cruise there were 300 teens which i thought was a lot for a ship so small.

greggg.. the guards were CRAZY on mine too. we were always in someones cabin by 1 anyway (we were hungry for room service) but when some of my friends werent. they said that they would start to get yelled at when they were walking BY THEMSELF around the ship at like 1:01. and my sister who was turning 18 on the last day of the cruise, always got sent back too! even though all of her friends were 20.. it was so dumb!