Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Teen Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Teen Cruisers Teens - meet here, meet onboard.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 26th, 2008, 05:02 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Carnival made front page of Orlando Sentinel

If you want to read it:

SENTINEL EXCLUSIVE

Cruise-industry giant Carnival challenges state's fuel-fee probe

A Carnival cruise ship is docked at Port Canaveral. (RICARDO RAMIREZ BUXEDA, ORLANDO SENTINEL / December 27, 2007)

Cruise-industry giant Carnival Corp. is challenging state Attorney General Bill McCollum's investigation into its controversial fuel surcharge by claiming the extra passenger fee already was approved when Gov. Charlie Crist was attorney general.

Records reviewed by the Orlando Sentinel show representatives for Carnival approached then-Attorney General Crist's office in October 2006 seeking approval to charge a new fee that would help Carnival absorb skyrocketing fuel costs. At least one internal meeting on the issue was scheduled by lawyers in the Attorney General's Office on Oct. 5 that year.

McCollum's office said it has been deluged with complaints about the surcharge, which has turned out to be as much as $70 per passenger. But the Attorney General's Office "expressly approved" the fee nearly 18 months ago, Carnival lawyer Curtis J. Mase wrote in a letter to investigators leading the current probe by McCollum's office.

Mase also wrote that Carnival was told "that the approval came from the highest level" of Crist's office.

Five days after that Oct. 5, 2006, meeting, the Republican Party of Florida reported receiving checks totaling $250,000 from two Carnival subsidiaries: Holland America Line and Princess Tours.

Businesses across all industries were at the time pouring record amounts of money into the Republican Party, which was paying for television advertisements, campaign staff and more to help Crist get elected governor.

The twin $125,000 checks are the largest donations that Miami-based Carnival or any of its subsidiaries have made to the Florida GOP since 1996, the earliest year for which electronic records are available.

Carnival said Tuesday that the donations were unrelated to the conversations with Crist's office about the fuel surcharge. "Any contribution by any of our brands to the Republican Party of Florida has no correlation whatsoever to interactions with the AG's office," Carnival spokeswoman Jennifer de la Cruz said in an e-mail.

Paul Huck, a former deputy attorney general under Crist who was involved in the 2006 discussions, said Tuesday in an e-mail that any suggestion of a quid pro quo from Carnival was "offensive" to the lawyers involved in the issue. "I am confident that if such a bargain had been even hinted at during their communications with Carnival, Carnival would have been literally and figuratively shown the door," he said.

Surcharge conditions

Carnival representatives approached the Attorney General's Office about the fuel surcharge to make sure the fee would comply with a 1997 agreement between the state and major cruise lines regarding what they can charge on top of their advertised fares.

Huck said that, after meeting with Carnival, lawyers in the Attorney General's Office recommended to him that the cruise company be allowed to levy a fuel surcharge under three conditions: It had to be temporary; it had to be based on actual fuel-cost increases; and it had to be conspicuously disclosed to consumers before they purchased a ticket.

"The notion was to take into account the reality of increasing fuel prices but at the same time to ensure that the full and conspicuous disclosure of the surcharge was being made to the consumer before he or she made a decision to go ahead and buy a ticket," Huck said in his Tuesday e-mail. Huck eventually became Crist's general counsel in the governor's office but left to join a private law firm in February.

Huck said he authorized the decision and that, to his knowledge, Crist's approval was not sought. Crist said Tuesday that he did not recall any discussions with or about Carnival.

Retroactively applied

A spokeswoman for the Attorney General's Office, where McCollum succeeded Crist in January 2007, said this week that Carnival's surcharge went beyond the agreement reached with Crist's office in 2006.

That's because when Carnival ultimately announced the surcharge in November 2007 -- a $5 a day charge up to $70 per person or $140 per stateroom on all cruises departing as of Feb. 1 -- it required even customers who had already booked their trips to pay the new charge, though they were also given the option to cancel their reservations without penalty.

The Attorney General's Office says that violates even the conditions set in October 2006 because it wasn't adequately disclosed ahead of time to consumers. "We never agreed nor acquiesced in any way to a retroactive application to previously ticketed passengers," Robert Julian, a lawyer in the office's economic-crimes division, wrote in a Jan. 16 letter to Carnival.

Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd., which followed Carnival in adopting a retroactive surcharge, has already settled with McCollum's office and agreed to refund $21 million in surcharges to customers charged even after they booked.

But Carnival has so far refused to back down. Carnival's lawyers say the company has met all the criteria outlined under Crist's administration.

The company has, for instance, pointed out in correspondence with the state that its brochures warned customers of the possibility of fuel surcharges. It has also told the Attorney General's Office that it intends to eliminate the surcharge once the price of crude oil drops below $70 a barrel.

Carnival spokeswoman de la Cruz said the cruise operator intends to eliminate the charge once fuel has spent 30 days trading below $70 a barrel on the New York Mercantile Exchange. Light, sweet crude oil closed at $101.22 a barrel Tuesday.

Carnival has already suggested to McCollum's office that it could send refunds to passengers who had already paid in full for their trips when the surcharge was announced, according to the state. But McCollum's office has insisted that any refunds must also apply to customers who had paid deposits only.

Carnival says it would forfeit $40 million if it has to refund the surcharge to all previously booked passengers.

Tallahassee Bureau Chief John Kennedy contributed to this report. Jason Garcia can be reached at jrgarcia@orlandosentinel.com or 407-420-5414.

More articles[/img]

Ashley

Past Cruises:
Sensation 2/1/07
Glory 10/2/04
Mariner Of The Seas 11/23/08
Sponsored Links
Old March 26th, 2008, 05:09 PM
First Mate

the sensation looks beautiful...

i want to book a cruise on her now

"Cruises will create some of the best memories of your life"
Future Cruises-
Coral Princess
Past Cruises-
Carnival Liberty Spring Break 2008
Carnival Legend October 2007
Old March 26th, 2008, 05:47 PM
Passenger

there is a picture of a cruise ship in our local paper several tiems a week and i hate it! it always makes me wish i was on a cruise

Future Cruises:
-Carnival Miracle 11/21/08! THANKSGIVING!

Past Cruises:
CCL Elation 6/08
Navigator of the Seas 2/08
CCL Valor 11/07
CCL Freedom 5/07
Sovereign of the Seas 9/06
CCL Destiny 5/05
CCL Inspiration 6/04
CCL Triumph 6/03
Sovereign of the Seas 10/02
CCL Triumph 6/01
Sovereign of the Seas 10/00
Big Red Boat 7/00
Old March 26th, 2008, 06:48 PM
Yeoman

Send a message via AIM to pead

u think thats bad i live on biscane bay (has an up close view of the port of miami for those who dont no) n i have 2 wake up n watch each ship pull into mia n depart every day so dont complain lol
liberty of the seas-2007
enchantment of the seas-2008
celebrity century-2008
ncl sky -september 5 2008
carnival freedom-april 11 2009

Free Cruise Clocks
Old March 26th, 2008, 07:48 PM
Passenger

wow and i thought it was bad to see them every once in a while when im driving down A1A. i dont think i could handle seeing them that often!

Future Cruises:
-Carnival Miracle 11/21/08! THANKSGIVING!

Past Cruises:
CCL Elation 6/08
Navigator of the Seas 2/08
CCL Valor 11/07
CCL Freedom 5/07
Sovereign of the Seas 9/06
CCL Destiny 5/05
CCL Inspiration 6/04
CCL Triumph 6/03
Sovereign of the Seas 10/02
CCL Triumph 6/01
Sovereign of the Seas 10/00
Big Red Boat 7/00
Old March 26th, 2008, 07:56 PM
Yeoman

yup lol collins runs that far?
liberty of the seas-2007
celebrity century-2008

Free Cruise Clocks
Old March 27th, 2008, 02:57 PM
Admiral

and i thought it was bad being able to hear the horns honking away from my house off of las olas in lauderdale....

Already sailed:
enchantment of the seas 4/8/04
coral princess 8/6/05
jewel of the seas 12/17/05
explorer of the seas 6/25/06
jewel of the seas 12/30/06
explorer of the seas 6/22/07
Old March 27th, 2008, 03:48 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Djcarolina

Thats a really good picture of the Sensation. It makes her look big and new lol!

Oasis of the Seas
Allure of the Seas
Freedom of the Seas
Mariner of the Seas
Navigator of the Seas
Grandeur of the Seas
Enchantment of the Seas
Brilliance of the Seas
Jewel of the Seas
Monarch of the Seas
Voyager of the Seas
Sovereign of the Seas
Fantasy
Sensation
Fascination
Carnival Glory
Carnival Valor
Carnival Conquest
Cunard Queen Mary 2
Disney Magic/Wonder
Cruise Total as of July 2014: 118 Cruises
Old March 27th, 2008, 06:59 PM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by pead
u think thats bad i live on biscane bay (has an up close view of the port of miami for those who dont no) n i have 2 wake up n watch each ship pull into mia n depart every day so dont complain lol
but that also means that you get to go on cruises more often...
lol
Old March 27th, 2008, 08:08 PM
Yeoman

lol true 3x a year usually
liberty of the seas-2007
celebrity century-2008

Free Cruise Clocks