Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Teen Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Teen Cruisers Teens - meet here, meet onboard.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 20th, 2008, 11:37 PM
Passenger

Default NCL?

Everyone here usually talks about RCL or Carnival, sometimes Celebrity and Princess, but never NCL. What do you guys think of that cruise line? I'm going on the Norwegian Pearl for spring break and I want to make sure there's nothing wrong with it.. nobody seems to have any interest in NCL. :/
Sponsored Links
Old August 20th, 2008, 11:48 PM
Captain

My parents have not heard many good things about Freestyle cruising. I've heard just as many good things as bad about it. But my parents are the ones with the money, and they don't want to "take a chance" by going on NCL, so I'm kind of stuck until I can save up several thousand dollars. I wanted to give NCL a try, you gotta let me know how it is.

Past Cruises (all except one from NYC)
Carnival Triumph to Canada: August 1999
Carnival Victory to Canada: July 2000
Celebrity Zenith to Bermuda: July 2001 AND July 2002
Celebrity Galaxy to Caribbean (from Baltimore): July 2003
Voyager of the Seas to Caribbean: July 2004
Crown Princess to Caribbean: July 2006
Carnival Victory to Canada: August 2007
Carnival Miracle to Caribbean: May 2008

Future Cruises:
Staten Island Ferry, I mean what else in NYC is free?
Old August 21st, 2008, 08:39 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to mmerali Send a message via Skype™ to mmerali

I had a really bad experience with NCL; it still ranks as my worst cruise ever, so bad that I haven't cruised with them again since; but, keep in mind that since I last cruised with NCL the company has undergone major changes as well. I have heard consistently mixed reviews on the line since the change in management (probably not a good thing 1/2 isn't very promising). As for the teen program, i'm rather uneducated on it. Perhaps someone with a higher degree of experience in the line wants to fill this part in.
CCL:
Carnivale (2/11/93)
Ecstasy (9/5/94)
Fantasy (2/20/00)
Fascination (8/26/00) (2/18/02)
Conquest (2/20/05)
Inspiration (8/18/07)
Liberty (3/15/08.)
Dream (3/3/12)
Sensation (8/19/12)
NCL:
Sea (2/22/03)
PCL:
Golden (2/14/04)
Caribbean (8/20/05)
Crown (3/5/11)
RCI:
Voyager (8/25/02)
Navigator (8/28/04)
Adventure (8/27/06)
Freedom (3/7/10)
Future
Carnival Pride (12/16/12)
Old August 24th, 2008, 07:32 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to c_m_alex

i just got off the Dawn today and i liked it. the main dining restaurants are nothing special but the specialty restaurants are amazing! they cost more but its worth it!
the teen program is okay. kind of lame at times but... i didn't really go that much. the group of people i hung around with didn't really go.

the cruise itself was really nice. i got somewhat sick-ish around the 2nd to 6thish day so it wasn't as enjoyable as it could have been. but had i been feeling better, i would have really liked it.

i'll be writing an article about it and bermuda (which was where it sailed) so look out for that soon.
Old August 24th, 2008, 09:47 PM
First Mate

Send a message via AIM to Ewokdude

Quote:
Originally Posted by c_m_alex
i just got off the Dawn today and i liked it. the main dining restaurants are nothing special but the specialty restaurants are amazing! they cost more but its worth it!
the teen program is okay. kind of lame at times but... i didn't really go that much. the group of people i hung around with didn't really go.

the cruise itself was really nice. i got somewhat sick-ish around the 2nd to 6thish day so it wasn't as enjoyable as it could have been. but had i been feeling better, i would have really liked it.

i'll be writing an article about it and bermuda (which was where it sailed) so look out for that soon.
Glad you had a great cruise. Can't wait to read the review!

As far as NCL goes, I don't know much about them. Generally, they seem to have cheaper prices then other cruise lines. If cost is a problem, NCL might be a good option.

-Ewokdude

Disney Magic- August 02
Carnival Pride- July 05
Monarch of the Seas- April 06
Old August 24th, 2008, 10:00 PM
Cruise Maniac

NCL is still more $ than carnival and i think the experience is one notch down from Princess.

the whole freestyle is not exclusive to NCL, princess has anytime dining and i'm sure other cruises do too

the teen clubs are basically the same as on other lines, same old club, same old dance floor, same old teen activities

Carnival Destiny - 2000
Norwegian Dawn - April 2006
Crown Princess - June 2007
Norwegian Gem - March 2008
Caribbean Princess - July 2008
Old August 24th, 2008, 10:02 PM
Beginner

Hokay so i just returned from the Dawn aswell about 2 weeks ago. While the specialty restaurants have great service and are amazing, the main dinning rooms have long waits and poor service and the food is very average, while on my other cruises (Princess and RCI) the food was exceptional in the main dinning room every night. Also, there was only one public pool on the Dawn which was packed during the day. (they had a nice private indoor pool but charge 75 bucks a week for it). I don't know if it is the same on the Pearl. Besides the service, the Dawn was a beautiful ship and the Pearl should be beautiful aswell. Just be prepared to pay for good service if you want it. The teen program was okay, I met people who were nice and I hung out with them, but I never really clicked with anyone like on past cruises.
Old August 26th, 2008, 11:28 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to c_m_alex

Quote:
Originally Posted by SerenadeOTS
Hokay so i just returned from the Dawn aswell about 2 weeks ago. While the specialty restaurants have great service and are amazing, the main dinning rooms have long waits and poor service and the food is very average, while on my other cruises (Princess and RCI) the food was exceptional in the main dinning room every night. Also, there was only one public pool on the Dawn which was packed during the day. (they had a nice private indoor pool but charge 75 bucks a week for it). I don't know if it is the same on the Pearl. Besides the service, the Dawn was a beautiful ship and the Pearl should be beautiful aswell. Just be prepared to pay for good service if you want it. The teen program was okay, I met people who were nice and I hung out with them, but I never really clicked with anyone like on past cruises.
i totally agree. i met some people but they weren't that exciting and we didn't totally "click". the specialty restaurants far exceeded my expectations. while the main didning rooms fell short.