CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Teen Cruisers (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/teen-cruisers/)
-   -   power outages. (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/teen-cruisers/359501-power-outages.html)

mariebabyy December 27th, 2008 07:30 PM

power outages.

well this has no relations to cruising but i was just wondering. Last night we had a island-wide power outage on oahu and the power was out from 6:50 till about 4 this morning. there were very few stores open and most gas stations were closed. rush hour was just about ending so there were quite a few people out on the road. some people were stranded at malls and stuff because they weren't dispatching cabs and the buses weren't stopping because they couldn't see if any one was at the stops. so me and my family were stuck at home with out anything to do. at first we were just outside playing in the rain and lighting some little fireworks but around 9 my mom made us come inside and then we were really bored. we just sat around the dinning room table listening to the radio. oh and my mom taught me how to play backgammon. so yeah i was just wondering what do you guys do if the power goes out?

cruiseeeeaddict December 27th, 2008 07:38 PM

i read about that on AOL this morning. thats a long time w/o power.
luckily the powers never been out for more then like a half hour here.
but when it does go out, i'll go outside if the weather's nice. if not, i'll listen to my ipod or read.

dancetilyadropx3 December 27th, 2008 08:09 PM

I remember a few summers ago when our power went out for like two days for no reason at all. It just wasn't there. I went to my neighbors and we had like a party on there deck. It was really fun!

Ainsley December 27th, 2008 08:58 PM

i have been 5 days without power right after katrina. we played cards and any board games we could find... seeing that i didnt have power to charge anything i tried to keep my mp3 and cell turned off incase i got so bored that i was going insane. we watched one dvd on my laptop and just sat around. thats all there was to do because there was still a curfew out and no1 was really suppose to leave their homes..

dudestir127 December 27th, 2008 09:44 PM

I was out for about a day or two back in 2003 during that huge northeast blackout. It just wasn't fun. It was a hot few days, and the last thing we needed was for the air conditioners to lose power. My new girlfriend at the time was getting sick from the heat, so her dad had to battle traffic to bring her to a hospital with a backup generator. As for me, I was just listening to my cd player, which also has am/fm radio. I was able to give everyone updates about places that were not where we were getting power back. It just wasn't fun. It would have been fine if it weren't so hot.

My entire city, a city of over 8 million people not counting tourists, was without power. Going out at a little after 4pm, rush hour was starting. The subway always gets packed during rush hour. Officials were scrambling to try to get people out of the subway.

dancetilyadropx3 December 27th, 2008 09:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dudestir127
I was out for about a day or two back in 2003 during that huge northeast blackout. It just wasn't fun. It was a hot few days, and the last thing we needed was for the air conditioners to lose power. My new girlfriend at the time was getting sick from the heat, so her dad had to battle traffic to bring her to a hospital with a backup generator. As for me, I was just listening to my cd player, which also has am/fm radio. I was able to give everyone updates about places that were not where we were getting power back. It just wasn't fun. It would have been fine if it weren't so hot.

My entire city, a city of over 8 million people not counting tourists, was without power. Going out at a little after 4pm, rush hour was starting. The subway always gets packed during rush hour. Officials were scrambling to try to get people out of the subway.

Yeah that was the power outage I was talking about too!

dudestir127 December 27th, 2008 09:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dancetilyadropx3
Quote:

Haha, yeah. Don't know how you have fun in Cleveland, but it wasn't fun at all in New York. However, 9/11 had happened only 2 years earlier, and we were all just glad that we wouldn't be referring to 8/14 the same way.

dancetilyadropx3 December 27th, 2008 10:01 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by dancetilyadropx3
Quote:

Haha, yeah. Don't know how you have fun in Cleveland, but it wasn't fun at all in New York. However, 9/11 had happened only 2 years earlier, and we were all just glad that we wouldn't be referring to 8/14 the same way.

Well I live about twenty minutes from downtown Cleveland so I wasn't stuck in traffic or anything, but my neighborhood has like 3 pools so we just went swimming and hung out and at night we had bonfires, we basically did what we always did during the summer, except without power. Plus I was only 11 back in 2003 soooo maybe thats why it was fun?

dudestir127 December 28th, 2008 12:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ainsley
i have been 5 days without power right after katrina. we played cards and any board games we could find... seeing that i didnt have power to charge anything i tried to keep my mp3 and cell turned off incase i got so bored that i was going insane. we watched one dvd on my laptop and just sat around. thats all there was to do because there was still a curfew out and no1 was really suppose to leave their homes..

As uncomfortable as the huge northeast blackout was, I'd still have to say you had it the worst Ainsley.

Ainsley December 29th, 2008 04:50 AM

haha yea i guess. my sisters birthday was august 31st and she asked for power for her bday.. she didnt get it until a couple of days later. but the bad thing about it is the cleanup.. you have an entire yard to clean after a hurricane and no a/c to go back inside to. sometimes its cooler outside than inside.. =( but i know ppl in new orleans and gulf port had it WAYYY worse than i did; so i consider myself pretty lucky.

c_m_alex December 29th, 2008 11:21 AM

Quote:

i remember that! it was horrible! it went out all over new jersey too! and more place i think, right? my brother wasn't even 2 years old so we had that issue. my grandparents somehow had power, so we kept going between their house and my house. until the power went out at their house too. i just remember a really hectic, and hot, night. not fun.

cruiseeeeaddict December 29th, 2008 11:46 AM

i live in RI and remember watching the news of the blackout on tv.
we were like the only state in the northeast not affected.

mmerali December 29th, 2008 01:45 PM

Ahhh, the big '03 blackout. I remember it. I was still in NYC at the time. Really hot and crappy that day. It sucked. We lose power at home more often now that I moved to the philly burbs though, so I just take my car, and go to starbucks or somewhere where there is power. Not a huge deal now, even if it is for a couple of days (which happens once every so often). Laptops help, for however long they can hold a charge, sitting around the fireplace with board games or something is also fun.

vanillla December 29th, 2008 04:33 PM

i live in toronto, and we also experienced the blackout of summer 2003. i was only 8 or 9 years old, though, so i thought it was fantastic and absolutely loved having no power, i thought it was so exciting and i was actually disappointed when it came back on haha

but we get blackouts at our cottage sometimes because we get some pretty bad storms, and we have a generator luckily, but i don't think the television and computers work still, so i just get really bored and read or listen to my ipod and i'm really good at daydreaming, i can do it for hours, so i do that haha

Tropicalstephy January 1st, 2009 12:36 PM

last year we had like a huge storm that had winds of like 100 mph and it knocked out power in like all of chicagoland and so we were without power for like 3 days and our basement was flooded so we tried to get into a hotel but we ended up getting a back up generator for our sump pump cause our basement was totally flooded and we pretty much just sat around during the day doing whatever we could without power cause there were a lot of like downed trees and flooded roads so we couldn't really go anywhere but we made good of what we could do in our house

ainsley that must have been really bad... i thought that 3 days without power was bad but 5 days?? i think that would be awful

Ainsley January 1st, 2009 09:08 PM

haha yea it was rough. i wish hurricanes would come in winter but nooooo. and down here its hot all the way up to november..so peak hurricane season is sooo hott and the day after the hurricane you start the cleanup and spending all day in the sun trying to get everything back to the way it was is hard work and then having to go inside to a hot house. good news we had water so i guess it could have been worse. but imagine all the ppl in like new orleans. omgggg i would have died.

dancetilyadropx3 January 1st, 2009 11:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ainsley
haha yea it was rough. i wish hurricanes would come in winter but nooooo. and down here its hot all the way up to november..so peak hurricane season is sooo hott and the day after the hurricane you start the cleanup and spending all day in the sun trying to get everything back to the way it was is hard work and then having to go inside to a hot house. good news we had water so i guess it could have been worse. but imagine all the ppl in like new orleans. omgggg i would have died.

I am so glad I have never experienced a hurricane. I thought the reminants of Ike were bad when they knocked down a tree into my neighbors house.

Ainsley January 1st, 2009 11:51 PM

yea hurricanes are no joke. once you go through one major one your ready to move. but living on the coast my entire life im use to it. i dont think i could ever live in florida..they get hit wayyy too much.