CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Teen Cruisers (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/teen-cruisers/)
-   -   how old do you have to be to sail alone? (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/teen-cruisers/360003-how-old-do-you-have-sail-alone.html)

Haleyyy January 8th, 2009 04:43 PM

how old do you have to be to sail alone?

i know on carnival you have to be 21, and if your younger then that you have to have someone 25 or older in the cabin with you. i'm 19, are there any cruiselines that let you book your room at 19? And does the 25 and older rule mean that a family member must be in there, or just anyone 25 and older?

thanks guys!

Djcarolina January 8th, 2009 05:57 PM

It depends on the cruise line, but most require a parent or guardian to accompany a minor (under 21 in cruise terms). Some cruise lines will let someone over 25 be in there, but they must be responsible for all parties in the cabin.

Disney is the only cruise line that allows 18+ to book onboard their ships.

Alex7592 January 8th, 2009 06:43 PM

Unless you are married, then you dont have to be 21... lol

Ainsley January 8th, 2009 07:55 PM

or an active member in the military.

haha didnt know that until tyler posted. =)

Djcarolina January 8th, 2009 07:56 PM

I'm not 100% sure thats correct as I haven't ready anything that makes specific mention of military in regards to age.

dudestir127 January 8th, 2009 09:00 PM

Re: how old do you have to be to sail alone?

But wouldn't it be boring to cruise alone if you're too old for the youth activities and too young to drink alcohol, like if you're 19 or 20?

Ainsley January 8th, 2009 09:46 PM

i think it would be.. unless you get a group of friends to go with you. i know i wouldnt cruise unless my family or friends were with me.

KTS1193 January 10th, 2009 03:05 PM

My friends and I who love cruising wanted to go on a cruise for our graduation trip.. but since my two best friends have late Birthdays (August) they'll still be 17 when I'm 18. Which means I couldn't get into the club.. its a drag.

But, I think I read some where that if you're an active member in the military you can book one at 18. (not on Tyler's post)

Turbotw January 11th, 2009 02:06 AM

As far as cruising goes concerning the military,

Only CARNIVAL makes an exception to the age policy when some is on ACTIVE DUTY in the military. I called them myself and clarified this with multiple reps on the phone to be sure.

Royal Caribbean DOES NOT have an age exception for Military.

Djcarolina January 11th, 2009 02:30 AM

I personally think that there should be a lot of things available to military. If your 18 and can risk your life for your country, I think you should be able to have a drink, book a cruise, and rent a hotel/condo.

Haleyyy January 11th, 2009 03:08 PM

thanks for all the replies! and by alone i only meant without my parents, lol a big group of us from my school want to go, some of us are 19, some are 21-25, so i just didnt know if the person that was 25 had to be a family member

thanks guys!