CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Teen Cruisers (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/teen-cruisers/)
-   -   17 yr old daughter carnival or disney? (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/teen-cruisers/360770-17-yr-old-daughter-carnival-disney.html)

flagang January 28th, 2009 09:43 AM

17 yr old daughter carnival or disney?

my 17 yr old daughter is very mature for her age. which cruise line would she like the most ?

xocatie94 January 28th, 2009 09:50 AM

She would probably like carnival better if she is mature but ive never been on either lol but my friend has and she told me all about them

mmerali January 28th, 2009 11:13 AM

Carnival over Disney for sure. I'm 18 years old, and although I have not been on a Disney cruise, my experiences with people who have tell me that Disney caters to a younger, child to preteen crowd as opposed to Carnival, which is more of a 40 and under line.
Carnival is a great choice, probably the most fun I had as a teen were on Carnival cruises. Not only are they more fun, but you also have a cheaper price and a handful of itineraries to choose from. Here are some side by side comparisons.

Carnival Advantages
1. Wide choice of ships and itineraries. You're not just restricted to choosing from Disney's two ships and their handful of itineraries
2. Your daughter's age group tends to lean between Carnival Corporation (Carnival, Princess, Holland America, etc...) and Royal Caribbean International (Royal Caribbean, Celebrity); however, when booking a cruise, keep in mind that Royal Caribbean Cruise Line implements a 1am curfew for all guests under 18 onboard.
3. You as a parent are more likely to fit in with Carnival; Disney, as I mentioned before is more of a younger family line and its activities onboard reflect that.
4. Carnival is one of the best "bangs for your buck" in the entire industry. The cheapest cruises I have seen have been on Carnival with the stray Royal Caribbean thrown in here and there. Disney, while a nice experience, tends to be VERY expensive for a cruise.

Disney Advantages
1. More family time, although it won't be the best vacation for your daughter, you may find some more time with her as opposed to Carnival.
2. You have the option of tying in to the Disney Parks before or after your cruise vacation.
3. 2 Ships to choose from with a handful of itineraries

Your choice here is simple. Just as a date to date comparison in prices to make my point, I went on to travelocity.com and pulled a quick cruise search for June 2009. In the summer months up until the last week of August, prices tend to spike, so don't expect this to be the actual price per person on your specific sailing date. Also note, I took the cheapest itineraries. These may or may not be on a date you can accommodate for your schedule. Prices given are before taxes and port fees.

Disney - 7 Nights Eastern Caribbean; Roundtrip Port Canaveral (St. Thomas, St. Maarten, Castaway Cay [Disney's Private Island]) - Inside Rooms (No Windows/Balconies) starting at $1,469.00 USD

Carnival - 7 Nights Eastern Caribbean; Roundtrip Port Canaveral (St. Thomas, USVI; St. Maarten, Nassau) - Inside Rooms (No Windows/Balconies) starting at $749.00 USD

Also, at the cost of traveling to Miami, there is a cheaper Carnival sailing to the Western Caribbean.

Carnival - 7 Nights Western Caribbean; Roundtrip Miami (Ocho Rios, Jamaica; Grand Cayman, Cayman Islands; Cozumel, Mexico) - Inside Rooms (No Windows/Balconies) starting at $739.00 USD

As you can clearly see, cruising on Carnival results in half the price of a comparable Disney Cruise, which is something that the average cruiser weighs heavily on. If you're on a budget, or if you just want to have fun, it seems to me like Carnival is by far your best choice all around.

*NOTE: Amenities were not compared as they are roughly the same on both Carnival and Disney.

If you have any further questions, drop me a message and I'll get back to it when I can. Also, if you're ready to book. www.orbitz.com has been having great rates lately, and you might want to take a peek as the different travel agencies vary their prices based on several factors.

KylefromCali January 28th, 2009 11:40 AM

yo

dude mike your like an online travel angent haha but i wanted to knoe if you knew anything about the carnival splendor thanks ohh and for the guy choosing which cruise line is better def. go with carnival best cruise line iv been on so many things to do and as mike said probably one of the cheapest

Ainsley January 28th, 2009 03:03 PM

Carnival all the wayyyyy!!! 6 out of 8 cruises and I plan to continue with them. I am finally 18 so the teen activities are out for me and I would do just about anything to be able to go back and keep cruising at 17. I have met so many people and had such a great time I would never change any of my cruises =)

Stormy February 3rd, 2009 10:54 PM

haha carnival by farrrr! carnival is the best cruise line ever!!

spencercoop February 3rd, 2009 11:23 PM

CARNIVAL! :D