CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Teen Cruisers (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/teen-cruisers/)
-   -   aft balcony (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/teen-cruisers/361544-aft-balcony.html)

mariebabyy February 17th, 2009 09:25 PM

aft balcony
 
anyone ever had an aft balcony ?

my mom booked us the aft balcony on the valor.

can you tell me if you liked it or not and what are the pros and cons?

thanks :)

Peter2852 February 17th, 2009 10:02 PM

Hi,
I never actually booked an aft balcony but I got to go into my friends suite, which was on the corner of the back of the ship with an aft balcony that was about 100sq ft. It was really nice, I went there a lot on sailaways. We even ate out there cause it had a table lol. Its a totally different perspective than being on a side balcony, first of all you get a good 180 degree view of everything around the ship vs. just whats on one side of it. Some of the disadvantages would be possible engine noise/ vibration, and you may feel the effects of the waves a little more since you will be in the back. But overall, I think its well worth it and you should be lucky! You'll have a great view :)

KylefromCali February 17th, 2009 10:41 PM

Aft Balcony
 
About the aft balcony. I actually had a aft balcony when i was on royal caribbean explore. I def didnt like it becuase of all the noise and vibrations. I would perfer an inside cabin in the middle of the ship over a aft balcony. But hey the view is awsome and im pretty sure the elevators are pretty far from your room too. But hey its up to you, if u can stand the noise and vibrations then go head n stay there.

Peter2852 February 18th, 2009 12:29 AM

yeah on a ship like the explorer im sure it would have been really loud

mariebabyy February 19th, 2009 03:09 AM

thanks for the info guys (:

i was actually only expecting to get an Ocean view room but my mom surprised me by getting us a balcony. and then the prices dropped so she upgraded us.

the noise, i don't think would be much of a problem for me. for some reason i can sleep through a lot of noise but then i'll wake up when i hear my phone vibrating. the motion i'm kinda iffy about but i figure once i'm asleep i wont really notice it.


if you guys remember anything else or if anyone else has stuff to add please do (;

KTS1193 February 19th, 2009 07:29 AM

hopefully you will hardly even sleep on this cruise! (: hah

c_m_alex February 21st, 2009 11:40 PM

from what i remember of aft balconies...you get more room. at least the one we had...it was more spacious than the normal balconies. but an awesome view.
downsides: loooooooooong walk to the stairs/elevator and the motion was more intense way in the back

spencercoop February 21st, 2009 11:54 PM

I was in an aft balcony on the Carnival Freedom and it is not that far away from the elevator. It is only like 9 or 10 cabins to the elevator. Look at the deck plans of the Valor and see where your cabin is in the back and see how far it is away from the elevator. Carnival ships have elevators in the front, middle, and back of the ship.

mariebabyy March 1st, 2009 04:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KTS1193
hopefully you will hardly even sleep on this cruise! (: hah

haha yeah hopefully.

i looked at the deck plans like you suggested, it doesn't seem like a far walk to the elevators only about 7-9 cabins or so.

Djcarolina March 1st, 2009 04:18 PM

You'll like the aft balconies, they really are a lot more spacious and the view is absolutely fantastic. You may hear some engine noise but usually not too much, mainly just when leaving a port. And the back is one of the better places to be (other than the center) as far as movement. Ships are more balanced in the back because theres more ideal weight in the back, as in, theres more stuff back there. The front of the ship is the part that clips and cuts the waves and although there are fresh and saltwater ballasts in the front of the ship, it still bounces around more.

vanillla March 1st, 2009 06:00 PM

i had an aft balcony once, i believe it was on celebrity constellation but i'm not too sure.
i think aft balconies are bigger, but that might have been just ours because we had a suite. our balcony was the size of my backyard, and i'm not exaggerating. then again, i have a small backyard.

i love aft balconies because you can see both sides of the ship, instead of just one. i also didn't notice any noise or anything like that, it felt and sounded the exact same as a side balcony.

Mr. Buffet March 1st, 2009 09:27 PM

The problem with the balcony is that it takes away the size of your room, because the balcony cuts into your room, basically the balcony is waste because your not gonna spend anytime on it anyway. :o

bbozeman March 1st, 2009 09:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Buffet
The problem with the balcony is that it takes away the size of your room, because the balcony cuts into your room, basically the balcony is waste because your not gonna spend anytime on it anyway. :o

I disagree, a balcony can be a great place to be when coming to or leaving a port. It is also cool to just sit outside on the balcony in the morning before you go other places during the day, or late at night to watch the stars.

Ainsley March 2nd, 2009 02:56 AM

I dont really care whether it cuts into room size or not. I barely spend any time in my cabin whatsoever so it doesnt matter to me. Like bbozeman said it is great to sit out at night at look at stars and my favorite part to hear the ocean, and also to watch as you pull into a port but if I had to decide I would just pick an interior room because I'm only in there to sleep, change clothes and shower. About an hour during the day to prepare for dinner and about 2-5 hours of sleep every night and thats it..

nace0 March 2nd, 2009 07:08 PM

My parents recently booked a suite that is close to the back of the ship. I believe that it is like 3 rooms from the back and i was wondering if anyone had expierience from this?

mariebabyy March 2nd, 2009 07:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ainsley
great to sit out at night at look at stars and my favorite part to hear the ocean..

haha that's basically why my mom got the balcony. i wanted to see the stars.

nace0 March 2nd, 2009 07:16 PM

Ohh well i was just wondering if there is like excessive bumping. I heard from a friend that the reason back of the ship rooms are cheaper are due to how annoying the rocking and sounds are.

Djcarolina March 4th, 2009 12:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Buffet
The problem with the balcony is that it takes away the size of your room, because the balcony cuts into your room, basically the balcony is waste because your not gonna spend anytime on it anyway. :o

Incorrect

A balcony increases the square footage of a stateroom. With the rare exception of a pre-1990 vessel, all modern cruise ship utilize exterior balcony structure which is easier to install and provides a more optimal outdoor experience for the stateroom guest. Many balconies add in excess of 50-100 square feet to a cabin, a significant figure given that many cabins are between 200-300 square feet.

Mr. Buffet March 4th, 2009 12:16 AM

While it may increase the room if you count the balcony as part of the room it decreases the sleeping space alright and if we wanted this random info from you "dj carolina" we would just go on websites and look up the square miles of the room which no one cares about except you obviously who must get on a cruise take out you ruler and measure the lenght width and height and multiply them and get the volume

Ainsley March 4th, 2009 12:18 AM

btw idiot its not miles and another thing he is correcting you because of the plain and simple fact that a member that needs the information doesnt need your stupidity. and another thing it does NOT take away from your sleeping space if you can read... the beds are the same size and the room is larger. and the original poster does care or she would not have asked.

Djcarolina March 4th, 2009 12:21 AM

I apologize that my factual information is not of good use to you, but my english professor always said for me to support a statement I make with facts, which is what I've done. Now: If you choose to count the balcony as part of the full cabin, then yes i suppose it could reduce sleeping space. However, you will not find an interior/oceanview cabin that utilisez the full amount of space available on a balcony as space for the guest's use, or in your case sleep.

The benefit of a balcony isn't that to provide more sleeping space, but rather to offer an access to an exterior part of the ship which is found by many passengers to be desirable for a variety of reasons to include smoking, photography and of course the fresh ocean air. I suppose, if you were so concerned about having optimal sleeping space you could always sleep on the balcony....

mariebabyy March 4th, 2009 02:20 AM

ok well i have quite a few things to say,

one Ainsley is correct, i do care. that's why i asked the question.

two Mr. Buffet, Djcarolina was just correcting something you said, don't be getting all mad and defensive because he proved you wrong.

three djcarolina always provides good and (as far as i can tell) accurate information for people like me who have little experience cruising.

four thank you for all the information

and five, the last part about how if he wanted to have more sleeping space he could sleep on the balcony made me crack up :)

Djcarolina March 4th, 2009 02:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mariebabyy
and five, the last part about how if he wanted to have more sleeping space he could sleep on the balcony made me crack up :)

Yup! See I ditched the Club O2 and Social Host thing...I'm going to be a headline comedian!

bbozeman March 4th, 2009 12:01 PM

if you were a headline comedian you might get lucky and get one of those rooms that is meaured in square miles.

They did says the cabins were bigger on oasis........

sammydee March 4th, 2009 03:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Buffet
While it may increase the room if you count the balcony as part of the room it decreases the sleeping space alright and if we wanted this random info from you "dj carolina" we would just go on websites and look up the square miles of the room which no one cares about except you obviously who must get on a cruise take out you ruler and measure the lenght width and height and multiply them and get the volume

agreed!

sammydee March 4th, 2009 03:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Djcarolina
I apologize that my factual information is not of good use to you, but my english professor always said for me to support a statement I make with facts, which is what I've done. Now: If you choose to count the balcony as part of the full cabin, then yes i suppose it could reduce sleeping space. However, you will not find an interior/oceanview cabin that utilisez the full amount of space available on a balcony as space for the guest's use, or in your case sleep.

The benefit of a balcony isn't that to provide more sleeping space, but rather to offer an access to an exterior part of the ship which is found by many passengers to be desirable for a variety of reasons to include smoking, photography and of course the fresh ocean air. I suppose, if you were so concerned about having optimal sleeping space you could always sleep on the balcony....


hi. you're weird (=
GO MR BUFFET!
i highly agree it takes space away,
go on a cruise website and look at the difference between an ocean view state room and a balcony room, the oceanview looks much bigger
don't be rude to people who state their opinions
cause clearly you state your all the time.

sammydee March 4th, 2009 03:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ainsley
btw idiot its not miles and another thing he is correcting you because of the plain and simple fact that a member that needs the information doesnt need your stupidity. and another thing it does NOT take away from your sleeping space if you can read... the beds are the same size and the room is larger. and the original poster does care or she would not have asked.

thats rude

Djcarolina March 4th, 2009 04:38 PM

For the Carnival Valor:

An Interior stateroom consists of 185sq. ft.

An Oceanview stateroom consists of 185sq. ft.

A Balcony stateroom consists of 185sq. ft. plus an additional 35sq. ft. balcony

A Deluxe Private Balcony stateroom consists of 185sq. ft. and an additional 75sq. ft balcony.

spencercoop March 7th, 2009 12:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Djcarolina
For the Carnival Valor:

An Interior stateroom consists of 185sq. ft.

An Oceanview stateroom consists of 185sq. ft.

A Balcony stateroom consists of 185sq. ft. plus an additional 35sq. ft. balcony

A Deluxe Private Balcony stateroom consists of 185sq. ft. and an additional 75sq. ft balcony.


The oceanview stateroom is 220 sq. ft. on the Valor.

Djcarolina March 8th, 2009 12:44 AM

Some are, but others are the same, it depends on what deck the room is on. The info came from cruisecritic.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:44 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1