CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Teen Cruisers (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/teen-cruisers/)
-   -   Age for teen clubs (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/teen-cruisers/365537-age-teen-clubs.html)

ambercruiser June 22nd, 2009 06:23 PM

Age for teen clubs

Are 18 year olds allowed in the teen clubs?

caballita de mar June 23rd, 2009 07:15 AM

Hello Amber!!
Teen Clubs are usuelly for teenagers from 12 to 17 years old, but if you are 18 and you go to the club nobody will tell you to go out. I've gone to 3 cruises (all with Costa), and there was people who was 10 or 18 in the Club.
So, if you wanna go, I think tha you can. :D

Djcarolina June 23rd, 2009 07:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by caballita de mar
Hello Amber!!
Teen Clubs are usuelly for teenagers from 12 to 17 years old, but if you are 18 and you go to the club nobody will tell you to go out. I've gone to 3 cruises (all with Costa), and there was people who was 10 or 18 in the Club.
So, if you wanna go, I think tha you can. :D

This is not necessarily true, in fact, in many cases it's false.

Ship age groups are divided into ages 12-14 and 15-17 and theres usually some kind additional insignia placed on your boarding card identifying you in one of those age groups. As an 18 year old traveller myself, the likelyhood of being able to get into the teen club is pretty slim with new regulations on the different cruise lines. Being 11 and getting into the 12-17 club is a lot different than being 18 and getting in because at 18 your a legal adult and being in the presence of minors causes the ship legality issues that they're usually not willing to risk. The only exceptionw are if you: A. have a really chill teen director who is ok with it up front or B. have a chill director who allows 18 year olds who are still in high school in the club. The cruise line you travel on will also have an influence on the likelyhood of getting in to the teen facility. Traditionally RCI is rather tough and Carnival is easier (Carnival owns Costa, and Costa's teen program is set up a little different than most programs out there).

Ainsley June 23rd, 2009 07:24 PM

^ he just said it all. i havent had the experience with it yet but by the time i get to cruise again ill be 19. its better just make due with what your given go in with an open mind and try and find people your age. i think it would be a little weird going and hanging out in club o2 when your the oldest in there.

Zach17 June 24th, 2009 10:27 AM

when you're 18 there are usuialyalotta people ur age on the ship, and the "adult club" is awsome in the late night hours

Djcarolina June 24th, 2009 10:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zach17
when you're 18 there are usuialyalotta people ur age on the ship, and the "adult club" is awsome in the late night hours

It's true and the best places to find other 18 year olds are places you might not expect. Muster (Lifeboat) Drills, Sail Away Deck Parties and Evening Showtimes are just 3 of the easiest places to meet people your age, unless you luck out like me and get seated at dinner with people your age and yes, the adult club (especially on larger ships) can get downright wild during the spring/summer if the crowd is right.

dudestir127 June 25th, 2009 12:07 PM

It depends on the individual youth director. On Carnival Victory, they let me in at 18. The following year (last year) on Carnival Miracle, I was met up with some girls and guys at the nightclub (and morning trivia) who were 18 and were not allowed into O2.

All I know is about Carnival. Dunno how they do it on any other lines.

Djcarolina June 25th, 2009 05:20 PM

Carnival has a bit more leniency, but even that has changed since Club O2 has switched hands. The structure of the youth programs used to be that Camp Carnival (children's program) was in charge of all agre groups 2 years to 14 years and then Club O2 was kinda it's own separate entity and it was managed under the entertainment branch, making the entertainment director for the ship, the Club O2 director's boss. Unfortunately some Club O2 directors were taking advantage of the extra freedom they had and it ended up causing the 15-17 club being intergrated under the direction of Camp Carnival, loosing a lot of freedom. This is the way that Adventure Ocean on Royal Caribbean works. All ages 18 months to 17 years are part of the youth program and their guidelines are set strict. It's different when a 14 year old want's to bump up to the 15-17 group than when an 18 year old wants to bump down.

Zach17 June 25th, 2009 10:12 PM

when you're 18 chanes are you're not gonna be with a bunch of 15 year olds in 02 and the younger croud that sneaks in haha its not that bad in the adult club youll meet alot of cool people and have tons of fun but when youre 18 and sum 13 year old is pullin at your arm haha well.. ya know LOL

Tropicalstephy June 28th, 2009 04:42 PM

i was just on the freedom and there were 2 people that i know of that turned 18 on the second day of the cruise, so i think that it kinda depends on how close your birthday is

I_Live_4_Cruises June 28th, 2009 05:02 PM

I went on Carnival Inspiration over Spring Break 09. I turned 18 the day we boarded and was still a senior in high school (since it was the end of March/start of April), so I wanted to be in the Club O2 still one last time (I figured if it was boring I could easily switch to the adult club).

HOWEVER, there was a group of about 10 guys that came for their grad cruise. 2 of the guys had already turned 18 a couple months earlier and she kicked the 2 boys out even though she let all their friends in Club O2. She explained that if your birthday wasn't within basically a couple days-week of the cruise starting she wasn't admitting any 18 year olds.

I have no idea what ever happened in the adult club, but I did talk to a couple of kids 18-21 at the very last night for a second and they said the club had been a ton of fun all week and I should have gone. lol

It looks like you are good to go either way. I'm now officially in the 18+ up group, so I'm right there with ya in the adult clubs although I won't be cruising for a long time now anyways. haha I'm sure you will have a good experience if you are cruising over summer or spring break which attract tons of young people. 8)

Djcarolina June 28th, 2009 05:32 PM

I hope the adult club on the Enchantment is better than the one on the Grandeur...that was just pitiful, but it remains to be seen.

caballita de mar July 21st, 2009 12:59 PM

Can a 12-and-a-half-years-old-girl go to the teen-club in NCL Gem :?: :?:

Thanks for the answer :)

mienoes November 5th, 2012 03:12 PM

you posted it in 2009 but i was wondering if you're allowd in the teen club when your 13 and a half

mmerali November 11th, 2012 08:10 PM

Depends on your cruise line. Usually there's a younger teen program (12+) and an older one (15+).