Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Teen Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Teen Cruisers Teens - meet here, meet onboard.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 27th, 2009, 12:25 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to mmerali Send a message via Skype™ to mmerali
Default Oasis of the Seas Teen Preview

Oasis of the Seas Teen Preview

Everyone by now is looking forward to the numerous new ships scheduled for release this fall, however, the largest, and possibly the most innovative of these has to be Royal Caribbean’s Oasis of the Seas. Oasis of the Seas is a 220,000 GRT behemoth easily rivaling the size of an aircraft carrier (in terms of displacement), and one of the most awe-inspiring architectural marvels on the high seas. So, what’s in it for us teens? I thought I’d do a little search and here’s what I found out.

Adventure Ocean Overview
Oasis of the Seas retains the well-known Royal Caribbean Fuel/Living Room complex. Located on Deck 15 midship, the central location is different than previous constructions as it now shares the deck with the sports complex as well as the main pool area. The lido deck style restaurant, Windjammer, has been moved up a deck from its typical position and now occupies Deck 16 aft, and the remainder of the Adventure Ocean program, which also typically shares a deck with Fuel and the Living Room has been moved down a deck to Deck 14 forward. To be noted is that Deck 14 is a stateroom deck, so it will be interesting to see how the noise from the kids is dealt with.

As per the previous ships, and sticking to the Adventure Ocean program, the teens have kept the 12-14 and 15-17 division. Also to be noted is the lack of action on the debatable 18-21 division; an age group which many would like to see created.

Down to the Details
Getting down to the details, Royal Caribbean has designed the Teen area well, keeping it separate from the Adventure Ocean program, but keeping it close to most of the action (i.e. Flow-rider/Pools/Sports deck). Expect to see a comeback of many of the popular features of the previous ships such as theme nights, dusk, ice-skating, and various others ship-wide.

The actual lounges will probably be of similar design to previous ships – a modern chic style or something close to it with a large audio/visual system for clubbing. In terms of size, the complex looks slightly bigger than older ships thus making it more than capable of compensating for the added population onboard the ship.

A Final Word
Given the ship is only 95 percent done at the moment (this leaves about a month’s work of man-hours for several thousand people for the ship to be complete), the Teen program onboard will definitely be something to look forward to. One can easily speculate plenty about the management of the program itself as well as what it physically will be like, because one thing in the world of cruising is for certain – no matter how good a description you’re given, the feeling of being there and actually experiencing it is so different.

Oasis of the Seas is expected to debut in late November of this year sailing roundtrip itineraries from Port Everglades in Fort Lauderdale, Florida. She will hold 5,400 guests (double occupancy) and feature nearly 2,700 staterooms. At the time of her inaugural sailing, she will be the largest cruise ship afloat.
CCL:
Carnivale (2/11/93)
Ecstasy (9/5/94)
Fantasy (2/20/00)
Fascination (8/26/00) (2/18/02)
Conquest (2/20/05)
Inspiration (8/18/07)
Liberty (3/15/08.)
Dream (3/3/12)
Sensation (8/19/12)
NCL:
Sea (2/22/03)
PCL:
Golden (2/14/04)
Caribbean (8/20/05)
Crown (3/5/11)
RCI:
Voyager (8/25/02)
Navigator (8/28/04)
Adventure (8/27/06)
Freedom (3/7/10)
Future
Carnival Pride (12/16/12)
Sponsored Links
Old October 3rd, 2009, 01:45 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to c_m_alex

I am BEYOND excited about this ship.
Old August 15th, 2010, 12:27 AM
Beginner

Send a message via AIM to lovepink27

when r u goin?
Old August 15th, 2010, 05:41 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Djcarolina

That particular post is quite old so I'm not sure if she went or not. Alex has a tendency to pop in and out periodically though, so we'll see.

I was on the inaugural sailing and although I got slack and never finished my review (I have 7 pages worth of it typed out) I can say that the teen facilities were the coolest I've seen on any ship. The location was a bit out of the way, but Royal Caribbean prefers to keep everyone under 18 neither seen nor heard. The space is literally in the midst of all the fun that is the sports deck, though, and they have some cool new features like an enclosed outdoor lounge for The Living Room and enclosed ping pong table "rooms".

Oasis of the Seas
Allure of the Seas
Freedom of the Seas
Mariner of the Seas
Navigator of the Seas
Grandeur of the Seas
Enchantment of the Seas
Brilliance of the Seas
Jewel of the Seas
Monarch of the Seas
Voyager of the Seas
Sovereign of the Seas