Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Teen Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Teen Cruisers Teens - meet here, meet onboard.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 27th, 2009, 11:45 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Carnival Freedom for Thanksgiving!

Wow, it has been a really long time since i have posted something on here. Its not just from laziness it is me being busy and i honestlydo not know much about cruising to help people out. Unless you are going on Carnival Glory, which is the only ship i have been on, once. I hope y'all are doing ok. But anyway, I am going on Carnival Freedom for this Thanksgiving, leaving November 21st., for 8 nights. I just wanted to know if anyone had any tips or information on the ship. Or any info on the ports of: Cozumel.... Colon, Panama. or Costa Rica. Anything would be great, thanks.
Sponsored Links
Old October 27th, 2009, 11:57 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to mmerali Send a message via Skype™ to mmerali

I've done this itinerary on the CCL Liberty, and thinking about doing the CCL Freedom, same itinerary for Christmas.

Great choice. I can answer pretty much any question you might have. I do have pictures as well if you're interested.
CCL:
Carnivale (2/11/93)
Ecstasy (9/5/94)
Fantasy (2/20/00)
Fascination (8/26/00) (2/18/02)
Conquest (2/20/05)
Inspiration (8/18/07)
Liberty (3/15/08.)
Dream (3/3/12)
Sensation (8/19/12)
NCL:
Sea (2/22/03)
PCL:
Golden (2/14/04)
Caribbean (8/20/05)
Crown (3/5/11)
RCI:
Voyager (8/25/02)
Navigator (8/28/04)
Adventure (8/27/06)
Freedom (3/7/10)
Future
Carnival Pride (12/16/12)
Old October 27th, 2009, 08:35 PM
Cruise Maniac

Thanks for replyin! I have done quite a bit of research into Carnival Freedom as far as lay out. i know the basics. mmerali, you have been on the same itnerary, thats neat. I know that this is a pretty unique itnerary for a cruise. Any tips on the ports or great excursions you went on? I also wanted to know about the teen staff on Freedom. Cause i went on Carnival Glory last Thanksgiving and i know the lay out is the same, just Freedom is newer. The cruise was my first and it was incredinle! But i was kinda disapoointed with the teen coordinator people on Glory. As was my entire group. The man and woman who ran Club 02 were not very fun and seemed very unapporachable.
Old October 27th, 2009, 09:47 PM
Admiral

Teen staff is very much hit or miss. I've had some of the most amazing people alive as teen staff before (on both CCL and RCI), and I've had some pretty not so great one's as well. Keep in mind that it is you and the rest of the teens that really dictate what happens in terms of activities. For example, on the Liberty, we all decided we would do a toga night, and everyone showed up to the club in sheets. Was that on the teen program? No, but we thought it was a good idea so we did it.

As for the itinerary, it is HIGHLY unique and very much a once-in-a-lifetime experience. Cozumel is Cozumel; don't know if you have been there before, but my experience with it is that there are Mayan ruins (big deal, they are already ruined, but if its your thing, go for it), Chankanaab National Park has some definite appeal to it as well. If you would rather just pay the cab and no entrance fee, there are free public beaches as well that do not charge save the water/other activities (iceberg, canoes, etc...).

Costa Rica has beautiful rain forests. I suggest you see them. The trip out to the forests is often through the country side and is a real eye-opener to the poverty of the country. Oh, and if you get the chance, don't be afraid to stop at a fruit stand and sample the island's fruits (just make sure you keep a bottle of water to wash them off).

Panama is your last stop. The obvious is the Panama Canal, go to the Gatun Locks and take your "textbook canal picture". Beyond the canal, I suggest the Zona Libre in Colon for shopping (duty free; people brought on TVs, stereos, and all sorts of huge things on this stop). I would also suggest venturing to Panama City and experiencing the culture. A handful of quarters on the street go an extremely long way here. Be cautious of the street vendors though, while their stuff is cheap, its also 100% bootleg.

In terms of everything else, I really recommend enjoying your sea days as well. I found those to be most relaxing.

Here's the pics I had from the trip:
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...6&l=64534f7012

Just a note on the pics, (C) 2009 Michael Merali. All Rights Reserved
CCL:
Carnivale (2/11/93)
Ecstasy (9/5/94)
Fantasy (2/20/00)
Conquest (2/20/05)
Inspiration (8/18/07)
Liberty (3/15/08.)
Dream (3/3/12)
Sensation (8/19/12)
NCL:
Sea (2/22/03)
PCL:
Golden (2/14/04)
Caribbean (8/20/05)
Crown (3/5/11)
RCI:
Voyager (8/25/02)
Navigator (8/28/04)
Adventure (8/27/06)
Freedom (3/7/10)
Future
Old October 28th, 2009, 04:11 PM
Cruise Maniac

I really appreciate the reply, it was really informative. Great pictures too. Yea, i was not sure of what to expect from these ports. Thanks for the help.
Old November 7th, 2009, 09:53 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to c_m_alex

I did a Costa Rican cruise about 6 years ago. I went on a much smaller ship that didn't stop at actual ports. The ship would usually dock in bay and we'd take the jet boats to the shore where we'd go trekking through the forest. It was a really great experience.

If you have any other questions, let me know (because this might not apply to your ports of call).
Old November 8th, 2009, 05:52 PM
Cruise Maniac

I'm going on that cruise!!!
Old November 8th, 2009, 06:10 PM
Cruise Maniac

wow!
Old November 8th, 2009, 06:11 PM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
I'm going on that cruise!!!"

Dang that is pretty cool. Only 2 more weeks! I cant wait to go. You got to be ready for that break from school?
Old November 8th, 2009, 06:12 PM
Cruise Maniac

haha woops, i messed up trying to quote daisy. That is crazy that you are going on the same cruise. Cause there was not a Whole lot of teens when i went on Glory last Thanksgiving.
Old November 8th, 2009, 08:00 PM
Cruise Maniac

i am SOOO excited for it. ive literally been counting down the days since we booked it over 100 days ago. and now its less than two weeks away! ahhh and yeah, the days im missing from school are gonna rock cause while everyones "learning", ima be on a cruise having an amaaazing time

:/ thats one of the things ive been worrying about...how many teens there will be on this cruise. on my last cruise (very beginning of last summer) there were only like 20 teens on the ship! but it was still soooo much fun cause we all got super close. so if its like that again, i wouldnt really mind lol

so how old are you?
Old November 8th, 2009, 08:28 PM
Cruise Maniac

No no, you dont have to worry. I went on Glory last Thanksgiving and it had more than 20. The only thing was that no one danced at club 02. haha. It'll be a lot of fun though. I cant wait to get away from school and party for 8 nights.
I am Bobby and i am 17. I still am way surprised you are going on the same ship. The chances of that are crazy!
Old November 8th, 2009, 09:38 PM
Cruise Maniac

reallly? did y'all not go in club 02 at all or ya just didnt DANCE there?

me too! (the no school and partying part) i am superrr excited...as if i havent said that enough

we deff gotta hang out on the cruise ship. ive never met someone from cruisemates in person

anyways, i'm Dariana (not daisy. that was just a nickname from my last cruise cause nobody could pronounce my name -which isnt even all that hard btw- lol and so this guy from England with his awesome accent was like, "we'll call her DAISY!" so it stuck. lol and im 16

im surprised tooo. when i saw the subject title the first thing i thought was..."did i post that?" haha
Old November 8th, 2009, 10:40 PM
Cruise Maniac

We went into the club but no one was dancing except me and a few other guys when 2 step came on. haha. And yea we will for sure hang out. Its goin be nice starting off knowing somebody, that will be neat.
And yea, you dont seem shy!! Most of the people imet last year were real shy and it was annoying. I am not shy either.
Dariana, that is a pretty name. It kinda sounds persian. i know thats random but i am Iranian soo i noticed that. haha.
Old November 9th, 2009, 06:06 AM
Cruise Maniac

Oh haha okay. Have u seen the teen club for our cruise online? It looks so nice and hugeee. I've only been on royal caribbean and their two teen clubs were both really small compared to this one.

Do u know if u have the early dinner or late one?

Oh no I'm not shy at all. Especially on a cruise. we'll get along great

And thanks! If u move some letters around u can spell Iran outa my name :P
Old November 9th, 2009, 04:14 PM
Cruise Maniac

haha, thats good news, And yea i have seen our teen club online, it looks really nice.The one on Carnival Glory was really big too... well i thought it was. (that was my frst cruise.). A lot of TV's and a big dance floor. Overall, the teen club was really nice but the one on Freedom looks even better.
And the no curfew on carnival is also awesome cause my parents dont give me a curfew either. I dont know if Royal Caribbean has a curfew or not. And the pizza on carnival is amazing and i love that it is open 24 hours. And the drink stands are also 24 hour.
And its nice cause i know the overall lay out of Freedom cause it is just like Glory. Freedom is just a nicer and newer version of it. soo i will know where im going.
And my family is definetely doing early dinner. It works out better and i get to start my night earlier.
Old November 9th, 2009, 05:42 PM
Cruise Maniac

oh i remember the teen club from glory. its all like monopoly and stuff right? looks pretty sweet. we had a carnival glory cruise booked for months so i always looked at the glory layout online. but then the swine flu screwed everything up so we had to reschedule to this cruise.

oh yeah im so stoked for the no curfew. royal had one, dont remember the time but i remember it was laaaameee. hopefully my parents will agree with carnival and not give me a curfew.

ah, the pizzzaaa my favorite food. deff cant wait for that.

yeah i agree. i was so glad i had the early dinner last cruise. this cruise too

do you plan on going to club 02 the first night? i did on my last cruise and it helped sooo much with making friends right from the start.
Old November 9th, 2009, 06:10 PM
Cruise Maniac

Yea, Glory had the monopoly.
Yea this cruise is going to be awesome.
On my first cruise, on Glory, i was way too tired and did not go to Club 02 on the first night. It was a big mistake cause it made it way tougher to meet people. But i managed.
I will definetely be going to Club 02 on the first night on this cruise. It will make everything easier and will be an overall better experience. And i will already know who you are! haha, and that will help us each meet more people. Even though that is no problem for you. Cant argue wit makin things easier on a cruise.
Old November 9th, 2009, 06:17 PM
Cruise Maniac

oh yeahh i can see how that would be a big mistake. i remember that happening to some teens who came to our club the 2nd or 3rd night. it just wasnt the same. i am without a doubt going the first night. i hope the teen directors are super awesome, cause i know sometimes they can be pretttyyy lame. idk why, they have one of the easiest, funnest, best jobs in the world!

haha yeah true that. are we gonna tell people that we met online? lol :P
Old November 9th, 2009, 07:02 PM
Cruise Maniac

That is a real good question! Lol.
It's up to you. Anything is cool with me. I was just wonderin about that tooo. Haha. We got an unfair advantage on the other people that are there. We know one more person than they do. But again, it's whatever, if you don't want to tell, that's fine and if you do, that's cool
too. I can tell we are goin get along good. And we will have no trouble meetin a bunch of people on this cruise.
Old November 9th, 2009, 07:13 PM
Cruise Maniac

hahah yeah either way is cool with me too.
i guess we'll just go with the flow.
and yeahhh we gon' be cruise buddies fa sho

to be honest, youre making me so much more excited for the cruise!
i was SO worried there wouldnt be many teens...since thanksgiving is more of a holiday where all of the family gathers at one relatives house...not so much a cruising holiday.
i was beginning to think i'd be forced to be with my parents the entire time. haha
nice to know thats not the case anymore

oh god, i remember last year my parents forced me to keep a walkie talkie with me at alllll times. it was so embarassing when i'd be with my new friends and my pocket would just start yelling "Dariana! Where are you?" ahah i bet theyre gonna make me carry a walkie talkie this year toooo :/
Old November 9th, 2009, 07:32 PM
Admiral

Hate to ruin the fun, I'll step in and comment not to expect a huge amount of teens on this sailing. Couple of reasons; first, its 8 days. Not everyone gets the whole week off, and the likelihood of cruising for 8 days over thanksgiving is less than cruising at all.

The general consensus I have seen among my cruise friends is that Thanksgiving cruises are probably less populated than other cruises during "on-season"

Don't fret too much, because it could be different, but given the current state of the economy, be prepared if there aren't too many people onboard either. Especially when you consider that the 3rd business quarter for the cruise industry was a huge slump. RCI -44% profit over a year ago, and while CCL fared better, it still gives a feel for the state of the industry.
CCL:
Carnivale (2/11/93)
Ecstasy (9/5/94)
Fantasy (2/20/00)
Conquest (2/20/05)
Inspiration (8/18/07)
Liberty (3/15/08.)
Dream (3/3/12)
Sensation (8/19/12)
NCL:
Sea (2/22/03)
PCL:
Golden (2/14/04)
Caribbean (8/20/05)
Crown (3/5/11)
RCI:
Voyager (8/25/02)
Navigator (8/28/04)
Adventure (8/27/06)
Freedom (3/7/10)
Future
Old November 9th, 2009, 07:53 PM
Cruise Maniac

yep, youre absolutely right
i personally wouldnt mine there not being that many teens.
like ive said before, my first and only cruise had just shy of 20 teens, and it was still the most amazing week of my life. so as long as there are SOME teens and fun activities and amazing food, i think i'll be alright
but thanks for the heads up
Old November 9th, 2009, 08:04 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by xDaisy18
yep, youre absolutely right
i personally wouldnt mine there not being that many teens.
like ive said before, my first and only cruise had just shy of 20 teens, and it was still the most amazing week of my life. so as long as there are SOME teens and fun activities and amazing food, i think i'll be alright
but thanks for the heads up
No problem. Just tossing that out there because I'm used to cruising with more people; like 20 people was the whole group that I would hang out with out of however many teens onboard. You'll have a great time though.
CCL:
Carnivale (2/11/93)
Ecstasy (9/5/94)
Fantasy (2/20/00)
Conquest (2/20/05)
Inspiration (8/18/07)
Liberty (3/15/08.)
Dream (3/3/12)
Sensation (8/19/12)
NCL:
Sea (2/22/03)
PCL:
Golden (2/14/04)
Caribbean (8/20/05)
Crown (3/5/11)
RCI:
Voyager (8/25/02)
Navigator (8/28/04)
Adventure (8/27/06)
Freedom (3/7/10)
Future
Old November 9th, 2009, 08:07 PM
Cruise Maniac

yeah.
since my last cruise, although it was during summer, lacked teenagers..
and this one most likely will too, next summer i plan on taking a popular cruise smack dab in the middle of the summer so i can get the whole hundreds-of-teens experience.
Old November 9th, 2009, 08:12 PM
Admiral

Quote:
yeah.
since my last cruise, although it was during summer, lacked teenagers..
and this one most likely will too, next summer i plan on taking a popular cruise smack dab in the middle of the summer so i can get the whole hundreds-of-teens experience.
Best time for the hundreds of teens is spring break. Be prepared to party hard if you do choose spring break though. My last cruise (the one I mentioned in my last post) was a spring break cruise. From a toga party at O2 to crowd surfing the deck party, believe me, it got crazy.
CCL:
Carnivale (2/11/93)
Ecstasy (9/5/94)
Fantasy (2/20/00)
Conquest (2/20/05)
Inspiration (8/18/07)
Liberty (3/15/08.)
Dream (3/3/12)
Sensation (8/19/12)
NCL:
Sea (2/22/03)
PCL:
Golden (2/14/04)
Caribbean (8/20/05)
Crown (3/5/11)
RCI:
Voyager (8/25/02)
Navigator (8/28/04)
Adventure (8/27/06)
Freedom (3/7/10)
Future
Old November 9th, 2009, 08:16 PM
Cruise Maniac

yeah that sounds reallllly fun !
ive always thought that a spring break cruise would be perfect, especially since my birthday ALWAYS falls during spring break
but until my dad gets a new job, we cant. some crazy rule about how he cant miss a day of work every beginning and end of a month
so since spring break is usually the end of march, the beginning of april, it wouldnt work out :/
Old November 9th, 2009, 08:18 PM
Cruise Maniac

Yea same here!! I am really excited to go on this dang cruise already. Knowin you already is like the start to the cruise. And yea. mmerali is right, thanksgiving is not exactly a popular time to go
cruising. And cause it's an 8 day.
The 8 days is gonna be awesome though! No matter howany other teens will be on there. There will be a decent number. And hey, 2 is a start and we'll just branch out from there. Haha
and don't worry, I had a wallkie talkie on my first cruise. It sucked. Soo ill be right there with you on that. Hopefully, since we are older we have passed that stage.
Old November 9th, 2009, 08:19 PM
Admiral

Quote:
yeah that sounds reallllly fun !
ive always thought that a spring break cruise would be perfect, especially since my birthday ALWAYS falls during spring break
but until my dad gets a new job, we cant. some crazy rule about how he cant miss a day of work every beginning and end of a month
so since spring break is usually the end of march, the beginning of april, it wouldnt work out :/
Ouch. That blows. The spring break I took the cruise on luckily landed in the smack middle of March.

Odd rule, but work is work. You'll get your chance eventually, patience is what it takes though.
CCL:
Carnivale (2/11/93)
Ecstasy (9/5/94)
Fantasy (2/20/00)
Conquest (2/20/05)
Inspiration (8/18/07)
Liberty (3/15/08.)
Dream (3/3/12)
Sensation (8/19/12)
NCL:
Sea (2/22/03)
PCL:
Golden (2/14/04)
Caribbean (8/20/05)
Crown (3/5/11)
RCI:
Voyager (8/25/02)
Navigator (8/28/04)
Adventure (8/27/06)
Freedom (3/7/10)
Future
Old November 9th, 2009, 08:24 PM
Cruise Maniac

haha, i doubt they'll consider me "older" im only a year older than the last cruise
but thinking about it, i guess the walkie talkie wasnt allllll that bad...
at least my mom got to enjoy her cruise rather than constantly trying to find me. ya know? but i really hope they loosen up on my curfew. i remember last year, theyd make me come back by 11 when all of my friends got to hang out till like 2 am or whatever
the only night that was an exception was the very last night where i had to be back at 6:30am and i remember entering my cabin exactly at 6:30 on the dot