Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Teen Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Teen Cruisers Teens - meet here, meet onboard.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 28th, 2009, 06:25 AM
Familiar Face

Smile First Cruise :)

Heyy everyone, I'm Liora. Lee for short

I'm going on my first cruise in just over a month and i was wondering what are the must-dos/must-knows? Like what i should pack and about the teen clubs and stuff.

Anything about Rhapsody of the Seas will be especially appreciated

xx
Lee
Sponsored Links
Old November 28th, 2009, 11:21 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to mmerali Send a message via Skype™ to mmerali

Ahh, the first cruise. Unfortunately, I don't remember mine seeing as I've been cruising since I was two months old, but fortunately, I do know what the excitement of going on a cruise is. I'll start with the Do's/Do not's then I'll add a packing list.

Must Do's:
Do go the teen club on the first night - cliques are established from night one. Don't miss out on meeting people and the awkwardness of the first night.

Do explore the ship as much as possible on your first afternoon. I know it may seem obvious, but familiarizing yourself with the ship on the first afternoon makes it easier to find things later on throughout the cruise.

Do attempt to meet as many people as possible. I know that I like to be the one EVERYONE seems to know about. It's also the best way to meet as many new friends as possible

Do look up information on your ports before leaving home. Know what you're going to do, what you're going to see, and whether or not you'll be doing an excursion.

Do try to be yourself. No matter what, if you screw up, this isn't like high school where everyone remembers that really embarrassing moment you had back in whatever grade. No one is going to remember a thing (unless you want to).

Do find a good balance between family, friends, and cruise events. I personally find the best way to cover this is by mixing up the three. Maybe attend a cruise event with family or with friends, or with both.

Do attend a midnight buffet. Chocolate/food at midnight = amazing

Do attend the teen events/make up your own if the ones there aren't so great. For example, my last cruise, we decided we would have a toga party night at the club and everyone (all 30-40 of us) came dressed in sheets.

Do NOT let the 1am curfew get you down. Run from the rentacops/hide in someone's stateroom/have a stateroom party.

Do negotiate a later curfew BEFORE you sail. Your parents will not want to deal with fits about how early the curfew is when they are on vacation, and I know you probably won't want to either. Take care of it early.

Do get all your friends facebooks/myspaces/phone numbers/twitters/etc... and remember to keep in touch. I know this works because I've kept in touch with people from my first cruise as a teen (since 2004). Looking back once you've gone through all those years together is pretty amazing considering you only met the person for a week.

Packing list:
Clothing
Shirts/T-Shirts/Tank Tops/Tops - (Number of cruise days x 2 - 3)
Underwear - (Number of cruise days + 2/3)
Socks - (Number of cruise days + 2/3)
Bathing suit(s) - (3)
Dress/Suit/Fancy wear - (Number of formal nights - for cruises greater than 7 days, plan for 2 formal nights)
Shoes - (1 or 2 pairs of sneakers, 3 pairs of flip - flops, 1 or 2 fancy dress shoes [see above for explanation])
Shorts - (Number of cruise days)
Jeans - (3 pairs usually suffices - reusing is okay too)
Accessories - (accordingly based on taste - don't forget the cologne/perfume, hair gel/spray, earnings, necklaces, sunglasses, bracelets, etc...)
Toiletries - (relative as well - don't forget toothbrush, toothpaste, personal toiletries, shampoo/shower gel if you prefer a specific brand)
Electronics - (iPod for laying out/working out, laptop IF AND ONLY IF necessary; you won't use it, cell phone and charger - don't forget the charger; if you run through a charge on day one texting/calling everyone about how excited you are, you're gonna be pissed when you need to take down people's numbers/call people when you get back on land, camera and batteries/charger, and memory card - don't forget that charger if it runs on a rechargeable battery, video camera is optional)
Misc. - (sunscreen, cash - for island purchases, beach bag, book(s) - to read while laying out on deck/beach)

Remember, try not to overpack. You're going on a cruise, not moving away from home for months on end.

Hope it helps.
CCL:
Carnivale (2/11/93)
Ecstasy (9/5/94)
Fantasy (2/20/00)
Fascination (8/26/00) (2/18/02)
Conquest (2/20/05)
Inspiration (8/18/07)
Liberty (3/15/08.)
Dream (3/3/12)
Sensation (8/19/12)
NCL:
Sea (2/22/03)
PCL:
Golden (2/14/04)
Caribbean (8/20/05)
Crown (3/5/11)
RCI:
Voyager (8/25/02)
Navigator (8/28/04)
Adventure (8/27/06)
Freedom (3/7/10)
Future
Carnival Pride (12/16/12)
Old November 28th, 2009, 11:31 AM
Admiral

I realized I made a mistake on the packing list. For the shirts it should read number of cruise days times two minus three, not times two to three.
CCL:
Carnivale (2/11/93)
Ecstasy (9/5/94)
Fantasy (2/20/00)
Conquest (2/20/05)
Inspiration (8/18/07)
Liberty (3/15/08.)
Dream (3/3/12)
Sensation (8/19/12)
NCL:
Sea (2/22/03)
PCL:
Golden (2/14/04)
Caribbean (8/20/05)
Crown (3/5/11)
RCI:
Voyager (8/25/02)
Navigator (8/28/04)
Adventure (8/27/06)
Freedom (3/7/10)
Future
Old November 29th, 2009, 01:04 AM
Familiar Face

Wow, that's incredible! thanks so much for all the info!
I'm also going with one of my best friends and we'll both be in the 12-14 club while on the ship. is this one sort of less laid back than the 15-17? Cause we don't want to feel like we're being baby-sat. Also, have you been on Rhapsody?

Cruise is 14 days so seems like i'm going to be packing alot, although you seem like you've been on quite a few.

thanks so much for all your help. Can't wait!
Old November 29th, 2009, 02:35 AM
Admiral

The upside about the 12-14 club on Royal is that it runs almost the same way as the 15-17, except the "club time" is earlier. Both are really laid back, and you shouldn't really feel "babysat" in either.

I personally have not been on Rhapsody, but I can tell you that the Teen club is on Deck 10 roughly midships leaning aft. If you would like to see more general information about the ship (including deck plans) click here
CCL:
Carnivale (2/11/93)
Ecstasy (9/5/94)
Fantasy (2/20/00)
Conquest (2/20/05)
Inspiration (8/18/07)
Liberty (3/15/08.)
Dream (3/3/12)
Sensation (8/19/12)
NCL:
Sea (2/22/03)
PCL:
Golden (2/14/04)
Caribbean (8/20/05)
Crown (3/5/11)
RCI:
Voyager (8/25/02)
Navigator (8/28/04)
Adventure (8/27/06)
Freedom (3/7/10)
Future
Old November 30th, 2009, 03:53 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Ainsley

Mike pretty much covered everything.. You will be packing a decent amount considering the length of the cruise. You should have an amazing first cruise I definitely agree with Mike when he says go to the club the first night. I know it may seem a little silly having cliques on cruises as well but he is totally right. Its easier to get into a group right off the bat than to try and work yourself in later on in the cruise. Have fun and make the best of everything, and try not to let something minor bug you on your vacation

Now as far as balancing time with family, friends and then alone time may be a little tricky sometimes. I usually do breakfast with my family if i actually feel like getting up. I layout for a little while between breakfast and lunch. I try and eat lunch with friends if I come across anyone I have met the nights before, or I make plans for the next day. Between lunch and dinner its kind of a whatever point. Sometimes the club may be open you can go and chill out and do activities in there or it may be closed and you need to find something else to do. Just get a group together and find something fun Dinner I always eat with my family. I believe my parents paid for my vacation so I try and make that my "family time". After dinner I run up to my room and get ready for the night. Whatever is going on in the club is always fun and I love to dance so I always try to make the best of it (even if noone else is dancing). Its not hard to get a group of friends together and just start dancing, and once people see you out there having a good time most likely more will join in.

Everything else Mike pretty much covered but if you have anymore specific questions just let us know
Carnival Conquest-02.22.04
Carnival Conquest-02.06.05
Carnival Legend-3.25.06
Royal Caribbean Sovereign OTS-4.16.07
Carnival Fantasy 4.28.08
Carnival Fantasy 10.27.08
Norwegian Pearl 3.13.11
Carnival Elation 11.14.11

Future Cruises
Carnival Ecstasy 5.21.12
Old November 30th, 2009, 05:45 PM
Familiar Face

Thanks Ainsley
We're going around New Zealand, so most days we'll probably be getting off in port, but just wondering if there are still things happening on the ship on port days if we don't feel like going out that day? Is the ship much emptier?
Also, on formal nights do you really have to wear like, ballgowns, or is a normal nice dress okay? Maybe i'll post pics for your approval :P And what exactly do you wear on smart casual night? And are jeans and a nice top okay for casual?
Anything i should know about Royal Carribean?

Getting so exciteddd!
Old November 30th, 2009, 09:01 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvvLee View Post
Thanks Ainsley
We're going around New Zealand, so most days we'll probably be getting off in port, but just wondering if there are still things happening on the ship on port days if we don't feel like going out that day? Is the ship much emptier?
Also, on formal nights do you really have to wear like, ballgowns, or is a normal nice dress okay? Maybe i'll post pics for your approval :P And what exactly do you wear on smart casual night? And are jeans and a nice top okay for casual?
Anything i should know about Royal Carribean?

Getting so exciteddd!
Port days in which you don't feel like getting off the ship are perfect for enjoying the ship itself; the pool, the amenities. It is emptier, but people come and go throughout the day.

As for formal, people go all out, think formal dance/wedding guest.

Smart casual is, as you described. A nice top and jeans will suffice, perhaps a sundress. Men usually go for polos and jeans or khakis.
CCL:
Carnivale (2/11/93)
Ecstasy (9/5/94)
Fantasy (2/20/00)
Conquest (2/20/05)
Inspiration (8/18/07)
Liberty (3/15/08.)
Dream (3/3/12)
Sensation (8/19/12)
NCL:
Sea (2/22/03)