CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Teen Cruisers (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/teen-cruisers/)
-   -   Damage and Injuries on Brilliance of the Seas (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/teen-cruisers/378722-damage-injuries-brilliance-seas.html)

dudestir127 December 14th, 2010 03:12 PM

Damage and Injuries on Brilliance of the Seas

Apparently Royal Caribbean's Brilliance of the Seas got caught in very high winds, as strong as 70 knots, in the Mediterranean. There was apparently some onboard damage and some injuries, including two people with broken bones. The ship did not lose power.

This and that ship off Antarctica being caught in bad weather with no power makes what happened to the Carnival Splendor, in calm waters, look like nothing.

Cruise ship battered in Mediterranean storm - CNN.com

mmerali December 14th, 2010 03:44 PM

Couple of other incidents from the cruise world in the last couple of days:

CCL Inspiration arrived late in Tampa, FL because they were unable to board the harbor pilot in rough seas.

Ryan (djcarolina) is reporting that Allure of the Seas has cancelled ports and closed exterior decks on Sunday night/Monday. More on this one later.

Carnival modified several itineraries to skip calls in and around Florida (namely Key West and the Bahamas)

dudestir127 December 15th, 2010 02:18 PM

Carnival is now cancelling more cruises on Splendor, saying the next cruise is going to be Feb 20th. Carnival cancels more cruises on damaged ship - CNN.com

And the Coast Guard had to medevac a 13 year old child with symptoms of appendicitis, and his mother, from the Norwegian Jewel (which I think is the one that sails year-round from New York). NC Coast Guard crew rescues sick child from cruise ship | 13NEWS / WVEC.com | Hampton Roads Local News, Virginia News & Breaking News | wvec.com | News for Hampton Roads, Virginia

cruiseeeeaddict December 18th, 2010 02:50 PM

Wow, looks like a lot has happened while I was gone.

On the night we left St. Maarten the ship listed a little bit and I actually slid about a foot in my chair outside the buffet on the lido deck. It was a little freaky at first since I didn't expect it, but it made for a lot of laughs after the fact. The seas were around 10 ft that night and into the next day.

dudestir127 December 19th, 2010 12:18 AM

That sounds like when I was on Celebrity Galaxy going from Cozumel, Mexico down to Belize City, Belize. The seas were so rough I thought I was going to slide out of my upper berth, feet first.

WhatsHerName January 13th, 2011 02:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dudestir127 (Post 1334892)
Carnival is now cancelling more cruises on Splendor, saying the next cruise is going to be Feb 20th. Carnival cancels more cruises on damaged ship - CNN.com

And the Coast Guard had to medevac a 13 year old child with symptoms of appendicitis, and his mother, from the Norwegian Jewel (which I think is the one that sails year-round from New York). NC Coast Guard crew rescues sick child from cruise ship | 13NEWS / WVEC.com | Hampton Roads Local News, Virginia News & Breaking News | wvec.com | News for Hampton Roads, Virginia

i was suppose to go on the Splendor but it was canceled... >..< it's rlly a shame tht that happened.. i hear it's the "party ship"... now i'm goin on the NCL Star.. but i still hope to have a good time... ^.^

Zach17 January 23rd, 2011 06:42 PM

whats the deal with allure? it takes alot to toss around the biggest cruise ship in the world.....

dudestir127 January 23rd, 2011 07:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zach17 (Post 1345552)
whats the deal with allure? it takes alot to toss around the biggest cruise ship in the world.....

I can get back to you around the end of April about that. One of my college classes this semester is about the behavior of different ships in different sea conditions.

mmerali January 23rd, 2011 08:45 PM

Just an update on CCL Splendor. Coast Guard had a field day... the CO2 system failed, the schematics were no where close to actual design, and emergency procedures were all over the place, broken english included. Full article on the link.

Cruisemates Blog Carnival Splendor Fire: Troubling Revelations – David Beers

Zach17 January 29th, 2011 11:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dudestir127 (Post 1345566)
I can get back to you around the end of April about that. One of my college classes this semester is about the behavior of different ships in different sea conditions.

thats so tight, yeah fill me in for sure