CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Teen Cruisers (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/teen-cruisers/)
-   -   Help! (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/teen-cruisers/381483-help.html)

janeh March 25th, 2011 08:04 PM

Help!

so this summer my family is going on a cruise for the first time! I'm so excited! anyways I have TONS of questions! oh and it's a ten day cruise to the Mediterranean on celebrity.
first, will there be many teens? I know there usually are plenty on cruises in the caribbean, but what about to the Mediterranean? and then where do you meet most people?

have any of you been on celebrity? did you like it? best parts? anything in particular that I must do?

...is the midnight buffet a myth.....? hahaha

what are some of the activities that happen in the teen club?

sorry for all the questions! thank you all so much!
-jane

mmerali March 25th, 2011 08:36 PM

1. Haven't tested celebrity - it's well known for its classiness and tends to attract older crowd. Group it with Holland America for the time being.

2. Midnight buffet used to exist. It no longer does as far as I know. Unless you cruised before, it might as well be but a myth now.

3. Dances/Clubbing, karaoke, scavenger hunts, swimming under the stars, mini golf, basketball, there's a whole variety of things. There is no obligation to attend any particular event

bros March 26th, 2011 12:13 AM

Considering its Celebrity and touring the Mediterranean, there likely won't be too many teens. Granted, this is just relative to other cruises, for example a spring break to Mexico. You will still meet kids your age, and you will still have a great time.
I don't really know what Michael is referring to when he says the midnight buffet doesn't exist anymore, my last cruise (which was last year) we were at the buffet later than 3am some nights. They didn't really put out special food though, that could be what he was saying. It was usually leftovers from dinner and dessert.

mmerali March 26th, 2011 04:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bros (Post 1362455)
Considering its Celebrity and touring the Mediterranean, there likely won't be too many teens. Granted, this is just relative to other cruises, for example a spring break to Mexico. You will still meet kids your age, and you will still have a great time.
I don't really know what Michael is referring to when he says the midnight buffet doesn't exist anymore, my last cruise (which was last year) we were at the buffet later than 3am some nights. They didn't really put out special food though, that could be what he was saying. It was usually leftovers from dinner and dessert.

What you experienced is just the usual lido deck buffet. There used to be a buffet at midnight (usually in the main dining room) that was often themed (all chocolate, fruits, different themes...) on just about every night of the cruise. This no longer exists; one of the many cutbacks cruise lines have made.

janeh March 26th, 2011 09:42 AM

ok thanks!

and when you guys say not many teens...how many is that? because I've had friends go on ships with like 100 and others on ships with like 20

bros March 26th, 2011 09:50 AM

Thanks Michael, I didn't know that. That actually sounds really cool, a themed midnight buffet. Too bad it's gone. :( hahah
and janeh, It's hard to estimate exactly a number. My last cruise had around 300, according to the teen club list, but I definitely did not get to know all 300. Its more like school, where you don't hang out with every single kid at your school, but more you're own individual group. Cruises are very cliquey.

mmerali March 26th, 2011 12:57 PM

Europe (and the Mediterranean) are growing in popularity. And fast. Try and book a cruise with Royal Caribbean, Holland America, Princess, Celebrity, or Norwegian to the Caribbean over the summer. Can't? Well, the majority of their fleets were repositioned to Europe. Carnival is starting to accommodate this trend, but they still seem to favor the Caribbean (and rightfully so, since everyone else left).

I would estimate that your cruise will have a significant number of teens onboard. However, the fact that you are cruising Celebrity does limit that number. I know this isn't "exact" but predicting demand is rarely an exact art. People studying economics have a hard enough time doing it.

Consider the following (price [directly related to price: length of cruise, cruise line, and sometimes itinerary], itinerary (when not related to price), ship (age, amenities, teen amenities, teen friendliness), and embarkation port (how easy is it to get to where you leave from?))

dudestir127 March 29th, 2011 07:50 AM

I've been on Celebrity to Bermuda and the Caribbean before as a teen and of liked it. But I wouldn't expect many teens for the Mediterranean.