Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Tipping
Register Forgot Password?

Tipping Discuss policies, guidelines and protocol for tipping on ships here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 16th, 2001, 06:46 PM
BEAV

Default Re: Welcome to the Tipping Message Board

What do you do when you go out for dinner at home and you find
the service below average? You give either a very low or zero tip. On the other hand if the service is excellent you want to give sometimes a way above average tip. I think everyone should request that the pre paid tips be taken off thier account and tip the server in person if service is good. If enough people do this the cruise line will get the message from the passengers as well as the employees!!!
Old January 16th, 2001, 07:19 PM
First Mate

I do not believe tipping should be added to a customer's bill. It is taking away my right to reward good service, or not reward bad service. Prepaid tipping will definitely affect service and it won't be for the better.
Old January 16th, 2001, 07:35 PM
Hallie

In regard to pre-tipping, I too feel that this is a bad way for the cruise line to overstep their bounds. Most of the crew are international and are somewhat underpaid by the cruiseline. What I give the waiters and buspeople and others is between me and them. I don't want the cruiseship to consider this and perhaps adjust their wages unfairly. We just returned from a cruise in December with Royal Caribbean and I was very surprised to find this pre tip suggestion under our door. Enough already.
Old January 16th, 2001, 07:46 PM
John Harlan

The concept of pre-paid tipping is odious. I will make a concerted effort to identify those cruise lines which practice this questionable practice, and avoid them.
Old January 16th, 2001, 07:51 PM
Jim Benane

With more and more cruise ships offering 3 or 4 dining rooms that the cruiser can
choose from for their dinner meals and further open seating in the main dining room, it will become almost impossible to select a waiter to receive the main
tip.
Should we tip after each dinner? Just asking because In the future I think we will
have to come to grips with it.

jimbenane@aol.ccom
Old January 16th, 2001, 08:33 PM
Cruise Maniac

My wife and I just came home from a cruise (our 25th one in fact) on NCL's Norwegian Sky. They had the automatic tipping which I see as a "charge" rather than a tip. A tip is something freely given according to past services rendered. They also have what they call "free style cruising" which means you have a diferent waiter every meal. As much as we love cruising, we see it going downhill in any glamourous aspect. First it was NCL, now Princess and Carnival. We doubt the cruise lines will hear our complaints but we must make them anyway.
Old January 16th, 2001, 09:41 PM
Denny

TIPS--Derived from "To Insure Personal Service." Charging a predetermined amount to my shipboard account does not insure service. I will be the one to say who gets what. I will never allow these tips to be placed on my account. I will give according to service I received. The last cruise we were on, the service in the dining room was outstanding, accordingly the waitress was given about double what the normal should be. I have also reduced the amount given when service was not up to standard. Tipping is an individual choice and should not be regulated as it seems Carnival wants to do. My opinion is this is a mistake in policy and Carnival should go no further with it.
Old January 16th, 2001, 10:08 PM
skip

I also agree that automatic/mandadory tipping is taking my freedom of choice away. I feel that Carnival will use this to cover additional expenses without incurring any out of pocket costs.
I also believe that in time the cruise director will not hesitate to inform passengers that they may feel free to give an "extra" tip to those personnel that have provided "exceptional service". The envelopes will continue to "show up" on the last night, and over time people will no doubt feel compelled to place money inside, regardless of service. So in time, we could end up tipping twice.
Each passenger should be allowed the choice on whom they want to reward and how much they wish to give.
Old January 16th, 2001, 10:10 PM
John E. Maines, IV

My wife and I just completed a 25 day R6 cruise with automatic tipping of $12.OO
per day/person. We initially objected and had our names taken off the list on the
second or third day.

However, there was open seating at all restaurants and the policy included the
cabin attendants. To be honest, after 5 days it was clear that this crew was
superb: attentive and well trained, eager to please! The best EVER, on our
6th cruise.

Although my initial reaction was negative, in part because the per diem seemed
excessive, the crew was fantastic for the entire 25 days. I told the purser to
reinstate the gratuity to our account. And I am NOT a pushover.

I recommend that you be patient and see if Carnival can deliver the service to
justify the policy. If not, Tell them loudly and adjust the charge accordingly.
I hope the Carnival crew is as good as Renaissance. If not, their policy should
wait until the service warrants it!!!!
Old January 16th, 2001, 10:32 PM
First Mate

Tipping should not be automatic. It is done for service rendered. I feel the cruise lines should pay their employees a salary and not expect the passengers to pay their employees. Tipping should be done for service above the basic job.
Old January 16th, 2001, 10:32 PM
Beginner

Providing a gratuity for good or excellent service looses its personal meaning in a prepaid or fee based program. I enjoy paying well for genuinely friendly, and conscientious service at an appropriate moment during a cruise. At the same time, I believe the staff enjoy the personal recognition and sense of one-to-one appreciation. Those occassions of recongition help sustain some happy memories. So, I'll take care of my wallet and those who provide service in keeping with my optomistic expectations, and I'll say "no thanks" to any purser that wants to intervene in my rapport with the ship's crew. The money and "thank you" are not about a line item charge on my Visa. It's saying "thank you" face to face and meaning it.
Old January 16th, 2001, 11:37 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

This practice is becoming more prevelant on land as well, especially in Europe. But a 15 or 20% gratuity automatically added to the check is becoming much more common in North America as well. I know now I always check my stubs at the drive-thru to see if they've added the gratuity<G>
Regards,
Kuki
Features Editor
Old January 17th, 2001, 02:23 AM
ms godiva

I just cruised on NCL Sky in Dec. and they had the freestyle cruising policy where your account was charged daily for tips. Though I admitt that tipping is a personal choice, it is a little hard to tip your resturant staff with the cruise ships going to a more free style cruising policy where you can chose a different resturant to eat in daily and a different time you want to eat. As we begin to move away from the traditional style of cruising to a more personal choice style cruising we must adapt the way we tip the crew that serves us. I would love to see them do away with tipping altogether and just pay their crews a decent living wage.
Old January 17th, 2001, 07:40 AM
Carol Shelton

It may be a good idea. However, I wonder how much trouble it would be to make a change in the dollar amount, eitherlarger or smaller. I would think the employees would prefer to have the cash. How is the cruise line going to show that they have evenly distributed the $'s? It has been my understanding that all waiters, busboys, etc., rotate working in the buffet, area, so your tip at the dinner table was aslo for this service. I'm sure there have been times when passengers have not tipped at all so this new policy would eliminate that problem. There have been times when I have had service that did not live up to the cruise line standards so would I want to pay the top amount for this type of service? On the other hand it does eliminate the envelopes, exact change, etc. I would want to experience it before I deceided if I liked it or not.
Old January 17th, 2001, 08:59 AM
suzieqk

Boy I sure do hope all these comments are forwarded to Carnival!! I want to be incharge of tipping who and what is deserved. I have had some wonderful waitstaff and then some very lazy ones. I encourage everyone who hates this practise demand that Carnival remove it as soon as they step foot onto the ship.If we let this become standard policy, we will be nothing more than cattle being led by the nose.
Old September 16th, 2002, 02:12 AM
Bruce Chafkin

Default Re: Re: Welcome to the Tipping Message Board

Jake,

Nothing has really changed. Read below.

Your comments are valid, but your logic is faulty. I agree that service on ships generally has gotten worse over the years.

But please read carefully: I have worked on 18 ships for 11 different cruise liines over the past 27 years. The internal tipping policies have been the same on every ship - ALL TIPS WERE POOLED. Please read that last sentence again. Its important.

When you gave me an envelope of some cash, it didn`t stay in my pocket very long. As soon as the last passengers disembarked the ship, all the service staff met at the Captain`s table in the diningroom. We all put ALL cash tips on the table for counting. Then the Maitre d` split and handed the money out to EVERYONE, based on a complicated point system administered by him. Today with auto-tipping, the smae system is in place. The only difference is that most of the cash comes from the Purser`s office. We still pool ALL the money in EXACTLY THE SAME WAY. NOTHING HAS REALLY CHANGED. Please read those last two sentences again. They are important.

To repeat, we ALWAYS knew we would receive a tip regardless of service levels. We still do know today that we weill receive a tip regardless of service levels.

Now please explain to everyone how auto-tipping has damaged service levels.

Once again, I agree that service levels have generally deteriorated over the years (I also observe that the quality of guests has deteriorated at the same pace), bu tyoumay be blaming the wrong reasons for the problems that exist.
Old September 16th, 2002, 02:12 AM
Bruce Chafkin

Rogers,

This may help.

Your comments are valid, but your logic is faulty. I agree that service on ships generally has gotten worse over the years.

But please read carefully: I have worked on 18 ships for 11 different cruise liines over the past 27 years. The internal tipping policies have been the same on every ship - ALL TIPS WERE POOLED. Please read that last sentence again. Its important.

When you gave me an envelope of some cash, it didn`t stay in my pocket very long. As soon as the last passengers disembarked the ship, all the service staff met at the Captain`s table in the diningroom. We all put ALL cash tips on the table for counting. Then the Maitre d` split and handed the money out to EVERYONE, based on a complicated point system administered by him. Today with auto-tipping, the smae system is in place. The only difference is that most of the cash comes from the Purser`s office. We still pool ALL the money in EXACTLY THE SAME WAY. NOTHING HAS REALLY CHANGED. Please read those last two sentences again. They are important.

To repeat, we ALWAYS knew we would receive a tip regardless of service levels. We still do know today that we weill receive a tip regardless of service levels.

Once again, I agree that service levels have generally deteriorated over the years (I also observe that the quality of guests has deteriorated at the same pace), bu tyoumay be blaming the wrong reasons for the problems that exist.
Old September 16th, 2002, 02:14 AM
Bruce Chafkin

Michael,
This may help