Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Tipping
Register Forgot Password?

Tipping Discuss policies, guidelines and protocol for tipping on ships here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 16th, 2001, 07:11 PM
addicted2cruising

Default Is Carnival reading this?!?!?!

Any idea if anyone from Carnival is in here to pick up on how much most of us don't like this policy???

Is there anyway from cruisemates.com to package up all the posts here and send them off to guestinfo@carnival.com??

I hope I didn't start this whole mess with the post I put here that I recieved from Carnival laying out this policy??? I know it had been brewing a little to begin with.
Sponsored Links
Old January 16th, 2001, 08:17 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via Yahoo to Sherry
Default Re: Is Carnival reading this?!?!?!

We encountered this new "tipping" policy last June on the Norwegian Sky out of Seattle. I definitly do not care for it!! We never had the same waiter twice...never knew who to ask for anything and the service was really lacking. I even overheard two waitstaff discussing how they "weren't going to bust their cans waiting on passengers...because they would get their money either way"!! I prefer to tip employees based on the service I receive...not at the demand of the cruise line.
Old January 17th, 2001, 03:38 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

addicted2cruising wrote:
>
> Any idea if anyone from Carnival is in here to pick up on how
> much most of us don't like this policy???
>
I'd say chances are very good that "someone" from Carnival (as well as other cruise lines) are seeing these comments.
When we were on the Triumph last year the hotel manager told me he would take comments, both good and bad, from the message boards, and ship reviews, and post them on the bulletin board for the staff to read.

Regards,
Kuki
Features Editor
Old September 16th, 2002, 03:08 AM
Bruce Chafkin

Default Re: Re: Is Carnival reading this?!?!?!

Sherry,

Please read below for a little more info on the subject. It may be helpful to you.

Your comments are valid, but your logic is faulty. I agree that service on ships generally has gotten worse over the years.

But please read carefully: I have worked on 18 ships for 11 different cruise liines over the past 27 years. The internal tipping policies have been the same on every ship - ALL TIPS WERE POOLED. Please read that last sentence again. Its important.

When you gave me an envelope of some cash, it didn`t stay in my pocket very long. As soon as the last passengers disembarked the ship, all the service staff met at the Captain`s table in the diningroom. We all put ALL cash tips on the table for counting. Then the Maitre d` split and handed the money out to EVERYONE, based on a complicated point system administered by him. Today with auto-tipping, the smae system is in place. The only difference is that most of the cash comes from the Purser`s office. We still pool ALL the money in EXACTLY THE SAME WAY. NOTHING HAS REALLY CHANGED. Please read those last two sentences again. They are important.

To repeat, we ALWAYS knew we would receive a tip regardless of service levels. We still do know today that we weill receive a tip regardless of service levels.

Now please explain to everyone how auto-tipping has damaged service levels.

Once again, I agree that service levels have generally deteriorated over the years (I also observe that the quality of guests has deteriorated at the same pace), bu tyoumay be blaming the wrong reasons for the problems that exist.
Old March 19th, 2003, 01:44 PM
Dorothy Fritz

Default Re: Re: Re: Is Carnival reading this?!?!?!

Bruce: As a cruise ship employee could you please share with us just what does an employee receive in regular wages for a week long cruise not counting the tips? Maybe if we had an idea then we would respect tipping a little more. Do you have to take anything from your pay for room and board, etc?
Old March 22nd, 2003, 05:35 AM
Bruce Chafkin

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Is Carnival reading this?!?!?!

Dorothy,

Easy question. Most service staff at my company receive $50 per MONTH salary. The Union ( its mandatory) takes $20 per Month from me. That leaves $30 per month - or $1 per DAY. This is pretty much standard in the cruise industry today.
The cruise line doesn`t charge anything to the crew for meals, accommodations, uniforms, etc.
Anything I make comes from the Tip Pool. We worry more than you do about where the money comes from and who it goes to. There are many sets of eyes on a ship, keeping a very, very close eye on all the details of our money.
Since the lines started auto-charging of tips, we no longer need to chase those guests who are "a little short this week" and try to sneak out without tipping.
Previously, about 10 - 15% of our guests ( and their tips) mysteriously disappeared on the last morning - just before we were to say farewell to them. Now with auto-tipping, they are free to remove tips for poor service, but many are embarassed to say that they were very happy with the service but are too cheap - or poor - to tip us for our efforts.
We really like it.
Old March 22nd, 2003, 05:38 AM
Bruce Chafkin

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Is Carnival reading this?!?!?!

Dorothy,

Easy question. Most service staff at my company receive $50 per MONTH salary. The Union ( its mandatory) takes $20 per Month from me. That leaves $30 per month - or $1 per DAY. This is pretty much standard in the cruise industry today.
The cruise line doesn`t charge anything to the crew for meals, accommodations, uniforms, etc.
Anything I make comes from the Tip Pool. We worry more than you do about where the money comes from and who it goes to. There are many sets of eyes on a ship, keeping a very, very close eye on all the details of our money.
Since the lines started auto-charging of tips, we no longer need to chase those guests who are "a little short this week" and try to sneak out without tipping.
Previously, about 10 - 15% of our guests ( and their tips) mysteriously disappeared on the last morning - just before we were to say farewell to them. Now with auto-tipping, they are free to remove tips for poor service, but many are embarassed to say that they were very happy with the service but are too cheap - or poor - to tip us for our efforts.
We really like it.
Old March 26th, 2003, 02:58 AM
Bruce Chafkin

I am quite sure that Carnival is reading this. They also read about 2.5 million comment cards every year. Most of those comment cards have no complaints about tipping systems.
I see about 50 complainers here. If I had to compare these 50 against 2.5 million, I would probably go with the 2.5 million. How about you?
Old March 27th, 2003, 09:33 PM
Admiral

Location: Wisconsin....about 100 miles south of the Frozen Tundra and 70 miles east of Camp Randall
Send a message via AIM to Lisa Send a message via Yahoo to Lisa

Bruce - what happens if I go with auto-tipping and then decide to give my waiter or room steward an extra amount of cash on the last night above and beyond the auto-tip that has been charged to my sign and sail card. Does that particular staff person get to keep it? If it is added to the pool, I would be very upset because I gave that extra to that particular person because of what they did for me - why should it go to someone who was never near my table that week?

Old March 28th, 2003, 09:40 PM
Bruce Chafkin

Lisa,
That`s a tough question. It seems that nearly every ship and department on every ship is different. Quite often the Department Head (Exec Housekeeper, Hotel Manager, Food and Beverage Director) decides the policy. Other times the head office makes the call. Sometimes the restaurant staff votes to decide if they will pocket the extra cash or pool it. You need to realize that ship personnel are very close to each other. They live, eat, sleep, and work together as a team. This team feeling is often very strong - and that is good for all of us. The feeling is quite often "We gain or lose together as a team".
Having said all that, I must also tell you that the crew is very aware that the guests are more likely to tip extra if they think that the individual is keeping all the extra cash. If you ask a crew member if he can keep the extra cash for himself, he will almost surely tell you "Yes", regardless of the actual truth.

As for money going to someone you never saw, that may indeed be the case. But that person you never saw was probably back in the galley, doing some prep work that allowed your favorite waiter the extra time he needed to take such great care of you.
Or it may have been the Housekeeping Steward you never saw scrubbing your toilet every day who allowed the extra time for your Senior Stateroom Steward to stop and chat and smile with you several times a day.
Old March 28th, 2003, 10:46 PM
Admiral

Location: Wisconsin....about 100 miles south of the Frozen Tundra and 70 miles east of Camp Randall
Send a message via AIM to Lisa Send a message via Yahoo to Lisa

Bruce - thank you for clarifying that for me. I do know there are people behind the scenes who do a lot of the work that we never see, and they are working hard to advance. I hope I didn't sound like I didn't want them to receive anything.....they work as hard as everyone else. I guess we all need to see "outside the box" to borrow a phrase.

Old April 4th, 2003, 01:59 PM
Admiral

Good questions and great responses Bruce. This is the kind of first hand information that cruisers especially inexperienced ones need to know. I like the automatic tipping as a convenience. If someone is not providing adequate service is when I would make a change and let the Pursor's office know exactly why that change was made.
Bruce, I hope we have you someday on one of our cruises.
One week to go before we sail on the Legend 4/11.
Bon Voyage
Old April 4th, 2003, 02:07 PM
addicted2cruising

I am so jealous, we were booked on that ship about a year ago, but had to cancel due to lack of funds. I really wish we could get going on another one, but with two kids a couple years from entering college, it will be awhile for us before we can go again.