Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Tipping
Register Forgot Password?

Tipping Discuss policies, guidelines and protocol for tipping on ships here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 16th, 2001, 07:33 PM
Jerry*

Default Automatic Tipping: NO!

$9.75 per day for food! I don't think so. I tip based on service and the quality and varity of the food. Personally
If I were on one of these ships that tried that stunt, I'd
be complaining to the Purser or who ever and in a very loud
voice drawing so much attention that they would need to call
security. If enough people do that, they will discontinue
that new policy. If people are just introverted, then the
cruise lines can afford to loose people like me.

There have been a few times in nice resturants where I felt
the service was poor, but I would call the server over and
tell them what they didn't do and would let them know that
their inadequate service would be reflected in their tip.
I would ususally leave one "penney" as the tip on my
credit card bill. Most of those incidents I also reported
to the manager or even the owner. I work hard for my money
and if I'm going to pay my employee, the server, then I
want a good job done. That applies across the board in all
catagories.
Sponsored Links
Old January 16th, 2001, 07:41 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Automatic Tipping: NO!

Tipping is a reward for good customer service. If you get good service the customer will recognize it with a good tip. It should not be forced upon the customer. If the staff knew they were going to get paid regardless of what kind of job they did, what is the incentive. Also, why should I have to go and track someone down to complain and ruin my day(s). I have the option of not tipping and they will get the message, hopefully. I have only been on one cruise so far and the service was excellent from everyone and I tipped accordingly.
Old January 16th, 2001, 08:44 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

I just can not believe these cruise ships that are starting this automatic tipping!!! I am from Las Vegas & believe me when anyone gets preset tips the service goes DOWN THE TOILET! I will not go along with this, we have had some exceptional waiters & they always got extras, and we have had mediocre waiters that got the normal tips, but the thing is it is up to the individual passenger to decide not the cruise line.
There are some people out there that will just pay what they are told & not bother to complain, but I hope the majority does not go along with being told what to tip.
Old January 16th, 2001, 09:21 PM
Jenny

Approx. $140.00 extra....come on!!! That does not include your room steward.
I say No!! I want to wait and see if the service is good first!!!
Old January 16th, 2001, 10:50 PM
Teach

With the number of people who have used alternet dining and stiffed the wait staff in the dining room with out tipping the people in the grill. What else can they do? Anyone could see this comming.
Old January 17th, 2001, 12:07 AM
Admiral

Must agree! Tipping cannot be pre-determined. It's a reward for good service AFTER THE FACT not a presumed fait de complete even before the service has been performed.

I'd be in favour of pre-set tipping guidelines that outline resonable expectations but prepaid rewards are out of the question.
Old January 17th, 2001, 12:43 AM
Admiral

Lets see , me,my wife & four children ,$9.75 pp per day on a 10 day cruise ? =$585 for tips? Yipes! And how about Princess & the alternate dining charge of $25 pp If we eat there only once that's $150 !!! Soon only Bill Gates will be able to afford it.
CRUISE LINES , STOP THE MADNESS!!
Bill (not gates)
Old January 17th, 2001, 02:18 PM
Linda W.

I like the idea! It's less cash I need to have on the cruise. If service isn't good, I have the option of altering the tip. (If you specify who should get less tip, it may be treated as a complaint that management will address with the specific employee.) I'm cruising on the Destiny in April and am looking forward to one less thing to worry about.
Old January 17th, 2001, 09:58 PM
Passenger

I already have a beef with the fact that the gratuity is automatically added to the bar tab, and I am definitely AGAINST the automatic tipping of the waiters etc. I personally don't use the main dining rooms nor do any of my family, therefore I shouldn't be charged for a tip. I will definitely be asking that the gratuity be removed from my charge card.
Old January 18th, 2001, 01:32 AM
Beginner

I am a Canadian and my dollar is at least 50% higher than the American dollar and if this goes into effect I can no longer afford to cruise. I also believe this is a personal choice..

%
Old January 20th, 2001, 12:18 AM
tour guide

I'd like to add a plug for the hard working professional tour guides who conduct the shore excursions from port to port. About a dollar and a half per person is acceptable for a half day tour, two or more for a full day tour, and if you really had a super guide, go wild. It's appreciated, and a gratuity is expected. Seabourn and Clipper have been known to include a tip for the guide. Tour guides have been stiffed by uninformed passengers on Silversea who mistakenly believe that their tips are included, just as they are onboard. Many of the other lines do tip well. I can tell you, the cruise lines become known in every port, and the exceptional tour guides refuse to work for the poor ones. Premier is out of business, so I guess I can name them, but there are others, some named in this message board. So if you're on a cheap cruise, and your tour guide stinks, it just may be because of the cheap passengers who preceded you and have brought a bad name to the line. Think about it; who wants to work in a diner when you could work at the Ritz?

Please note that tipping is considered a custom, not just a discretion. There is a pay scale miles below minimum wage for those shipboard employees who are suposed to work for tips. Tour guides are free lance individuals hired by the day who lack any employment benefits or health insurance, and often find work only in tour season. Tipping is supposed to be a two way street; your service provider treats you well and you reciprocate. So thank you to all you good tippers, and heads up to the uninformed!