Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Tipping
Register Forgot Password?

Tipping Discuss policies, guidelines and protocol for tipping on ships here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 17th, 2001, 01:12 PM
Travel Agent

Default Another way of getting your money

I have to admit that this is the first time I've heard of the all inclusive meal with tip. But c'mon folks, even this is ridiculous. Having enacted this type of policy for their cruisers tells me that they don't pay their staff a decent wage, so now their going to get it directly from you.
If their brochures do not emphatically state in bold print this new policy, I can see a lot of lawsuits coming from clients lawyers.
The cruise line industry is really hurting because they have too many ships and not enough people to cruise on them. Do they think that this type of policy is going to attract more cruisers? I think not.
I think most cruisers have been very good about compensating dining staff and stateroom services. They know that tipping is a "courtesy" not mandatory.
I think it's plain stupid for the cruise lines to enact this type of policy. I won't be eager to be selling cruises anytime soon.
Of course now watch them drop the price of the cruises to "lead" you in....
Sponsored Links
Old January 17th, 2001, 02:11 PM
Pat Davis

Default Re: Another way of getting your money

DEAD RIGHT .............we might like Ren cruises but we do not like the tipping policy ,,,,,,,,,,,pooled tips mean poor service from many staff while the ones who always give excellent service are penalised

I agree there are too many ships and too few passengers plus selling off cabins at "cheapie "prices encourages totally the wrong kind of people on cruises who then COMPLAIN loudly if they are asked to wear Formal Attire ,,,,,,,,,the whole worls has gone sloppy and I for one enjoy the chance to dress up and wear nice clothes just once a year
Old January 17th, 2001, 03:11 PM
Cassie Badowsky

I definitely think tipping should be at the passenger's discretion. In fact I think tipping should be eliminated altogether, and the personnel should be paid enough by the cruise company in the first place so that tips are not necessary to properly reimburse personnel. I think the American public is extremely tired of the tipping policy that seems to be expected of them, and would like to see tipping done away with altogether.
Old January 17th, 2001, 06:14 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Travel Agent wrote:
>
> Of course now watch them drop the price of the cruises to
> "lead" you in....

That's actually happened already! Its amazing just how low prices have gone the last couple of years.
Admittedly they seem to be trying to make up for it once they get you onboard, with lots of additional charges. Everything from ice cream, to alternate restaurants to squeeze a few more bucks out.
I guess the question should be asked... what are the alternatives?
If everything (including tips) is inclusive in the price (as it is on some cruise lines) the prices can get prohibitive.
Rather than going that route, the cruise lines seeming to going to the User Pay system.
Both certainly have their drawbacks. Its certainly interesting seeing what we passengers think through the feedback in the message boards.

Regards,
Kuki
Features Editor