Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Tipping
Register Forgot Password?

Tipping Discuss policies, guidelines and protocol for tipping on ships here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 17th, 2001, 03:56 PM
NeTiZeN

Default Mandatory tipping minimums?

I would like to know how many people dont fairly tip for services
rendered. There seems to many people willing to get something for
nothing! The crew members for the most part deserve all their tips and more! Just for the record here is my tipping schedule
for cabin attendant-$110 , assistant cabin attendant-$90 , waiter-$120 , assistant waiter/busboy-$70, maitre-d-$50 and about
an addtional $90 for room service for a party of four on an one week cruise. I think about $100 per person minimum is more than
fair for standard tip. Carnival is just forcing the deadbeat
to pay up just like everybody else without calling attention
to themselves.
Sponsored Links
Old January 17th, 2001, 06:41 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Mandatory tipping minimums?

interesting way of looking at it but as usual the "deadbeats" are far and few between and as usual the "good people" (99.99%of us) will pay.Now what? the "deadbeats" will go elsewhere, seems like they taught the "deadbeats" a great lesson!!!!!!!!
Old January 17th, 2001, 10:24 PM
Admiral

IMHO, I keep in mind the big picture, and one thing struck me here. A maitre-d that works one dining room and say has 1,000 people in that dining room over two seatings, would make $12,500 per week if everyone tipped $12.50! Yikes! I make good money, but not THAT good! :-). Of course the reality is that a significant number of people don't tip, and maybe he/she has to share some of that money with assistants, but it's still a lot of money.

This is just food for thought for the people on this board. I think it's great that you tip well - I do the same myself when I receive good service.
Old January 20th, 2001, 05:56 PM
Cruise Maniac

My wife and I are totally against a mandatory minimum tipping and also automatic charge to our bill. Who gives these guys the authority to do this. Why do we have to go to the purser and have him/her remove the charges. In fact, if people who wish to follow their format, let them indicate to the cruise lines that they want automatic charge on their bill.
We will definitely avoid any cruise line that charges a mandatory minimum without our permission.
Old January 22nd, 2001, 03:54 PM
Jim Thompson

I just returned (Friday 19th) from a 10 day cruise to Tahiti on the R4.I had never been on a cruise,so I was a "rookie" at the tipping aboard ship.At first I did not care for the mandatory tipping,but in the end, I felt that the $12 a day per guest was fair.
JimT
Old January 22nd, 2001, 10:54 PM
Cruise Maniac

I have to comment....on Carnival Sensation in '99, I would say that the dining room was 25% empty.
Old January 23rd, 2001, 09:47 AM
Charlene Hempler

I love to cruise and have been on my first Carnival cruise in April 2000. It was wonderful. I was treated like Royalty. My table waiter was the best. He was so great that I am hoping he will be on my next cruise ship. The Head Waiter came to our table every night and made wonderful conversation. It was the best cruise I have been on. That was my 3rd. I am already planning my 4th. It will definately be with Carnival. The service was the best so why not tip ahead of time. But I do expect to be going at the end of the cruise to add on to the tips. Keep up the great job.. Carnival...
Old September 16th, 2002, 01:57 AM
Bruce Chafkin

Default Re: Re: Mandatory tipping minimums?

Bill, please see below. This diatribe for the uninformed may be helpful.

Your comments are valid, but your logic is faulty. I agree that service on ships generally has gotten worse over the years.

But please read carefully: I have worked on 18 ships for 11 different cruise liines over the past 27 years. The internal tipping policies have been the same on every ship - ALL TIPS WERE POOLED. Please read that last sentence again. Its important.

When you gave me an envelope of some cash, it didn`t stay in my pocket very long. As soon as the last passengers disembarked the ship, all the service staff met at the Captain`s table in the diningroom. We all put ALL cash tips on the table for counting. Then the Maitre d` split and handed the money out to EVERYONE, based on a complicated point system administered by him. Today with auto-tipping, the smae system is in place. The only difference is that most of the cash comes from the Purser`s office. We still pool ALL the money in EXACTLY THE SAME WAY. NOTHING HAS REALLY CHANGED. Please read those last two sentences again. They are important.

To repeat, we ALWAYS knew we would receive a tip regardless of service levels. We still do know today that we weill receive a tip regardless of service levels.

Now please explain to everyone how auto-tipping has damaged service levels.

Once again, I agree that service levels have generally deteriorated over the years (I also observe that the quality of guests has deteriorated at the same pace), bu tyoumay be blaming the wrong reasons for the problems that exist.
Old May 16th, 2003, 03:55 PM
Passenger

Last year when my wife and I went on Celebrity, the Assistant Waiter and Cabin Steward were bettter then better and the head waiter and out suite butler were ok (th did their job, but that was about all), We tipped the Assistant Waiter and Cabin Steward more then suggested and the Head Waiter and Butler the suggested amount. We also did not tip the housekeeping Manager and the Matri De' because we don't believe that management should get tipped.
Old June 13th, 2003, 12:09 AM
Bruce Chafkin

Bill,
Great concept - but your reasoning is faulty. First, the Maitre d' must share his "take" with a great many people you probably never see. Secondly, very few passengers actually tip the Maitre d' anymore.

Let's look at a bit of history. I was a cruise ship Maitre d' in the Good Old Days of traditional dining. I made so much money that when they tried to promote me to Hotel Manager, I refused. I couldn't afford the cut in earnings. I was making more than the Captain.
Even in those days, about 15% of the passengers traditionally sneaked out at the end of the cruise and tipped nothing.
With the new Freestyle and Personal Choice Cruising Concepts in place these days, most Maitre d's are on salary. They receive very little in the way of cash tips. But the great news is that teh new Auto-tipping forces most of the cheap-charlies to cough up. In the Old Days, they could just sneak away quietly. Now they must identify themselves at the Purser's Desk in order to take the money away. So now the service staff earns more money.
Old June 14th, 2003, 12:21 PM
Admiral

Okay, a few facts here peoples. First there is no such thing as 'mandatory tipping", it is and always has been up to you the amount to tip. Guidelines are given for those that are not familar with cruising as you have no real 'bill' to base your typical 15% on. IN addition most cruislines have gone to auto-tipping which automatically adds the suggested tip amount to your bill but it is still optional and you can remove it, adjusted, or leave it. (We remove it and tip in the traditional manner, it's personal) The amount of people that tip is defunately not 99.9%, it is unfortunately more like 15-30%. Auto tipping seems to have reduced that number to around 20% or a little less. a few bucks a day to your waiter is much less than you would tip if you were at a land-based restaurant and tipped even 10% of the final bill. The Maitre D' gets tipped by very few people but understand he is the one that makes the entire dining room work. If he does anythng extra for us I do tip him a five or ten or something depending on if he just said hi, or did anything special for us. These people work hard for their money and tips are greatly appreciated. Understand that the crew also tip those that serve them! Some of the best tippers I have seen have been crew. They understand what it really means.
JIm

Old June 15th, 2003, 06:16 PM
First Mate

Someone please tell me what is the total amount I need to put in the envelope for the cabin steward, waiter & busboy. We are a family of 4 (2 adults in one cabin and 2 children in another) we need to know how much to budget out for this upcoming cruise.
We do not want to do the automatic tipping and will take it off of our account as soon as we arrive, we prefer to pay for good service at the end of the cruise.
Old July 2nd, 2003, 06:16 AM
Passenger

It doesn't matter who you pay... they pool it all anyway so tipping one person because they do a better job than another only makes YOU feel good it doesn't tell the person who isn't performing well or only doing the bare minimum that they need to improve. Using the shipboard account saves all those 'who to pay' hassles.

The whole tipping thing is crazy anyway... I found it to be totally inconvenient carrying so many dollar bills. I say pay them a salary and carry a debit/credit card and get rid of all those ugly green bits of paper!!
Old September 2nd, 2003, 04:16 PM
scud

Default Re: Re: Re: Mandatory tipping minimums?

For a 7day cruise we dont tip more than $50,- per person for the whole cruise. Its personal issue. We never tip the maitre'd.
Old September 5th, 2003, 12:11 PM
Yeoman

Would some one please explain to me WHY I should tip a maitre'd? They don't have any "special " request from me, and if I tipped everyone who said hello to me I 'd be broke . They only come over and suck up to you so that you will tip them. Mind you if you make a special request then tip accordingly, but otherwise I say it's for people who have lots of money( which we don't) We do tip the waiter and busser and cabin steward,but that 's it! ( and room service)
Old September 19th, 2003, 12:08 PM
bigboy

Why are we, the paying customer, required to subsidize the obviously substandard wages the non-American cruise lines are paying? I only tip the person who I personally have service related contact with. I alway's tip the maitre'd as well as the wait staff. But the big money goes to my cabin steward if the service warrants it. I refuse to have automatic charges put on my account. We all should. Let the crew demonstrate their worth to you. By the way, who tips the really important working staff, the people we never see who make the ship move and keep all the lights and air conditioning on? Do they get some of the pooled tips? Are we expected to help pump up their obviously low wages as well? Perhaps if the cruise lines paid everyone a true working wage we wouldn't be made to feel so guilty about the poor help not making any money.
Old September 20th, 2003, 09:08 PM
Linda55

bigboy - AMEN! Completely agree. That said, I CHOSE to tip on my first cruise because the service was absolutely awesome. Tipping was truly a pleasure for me; my only regret was that I could not afford to tip even more than I did.

Before the cruise, I had no intention whatsoever to tip the maitre 'd. But he was very attentive, coming to our table each night with delightful conversation. He also volunteered for "camera duty," taking a number of mealtime photos for us. He also made a point of speaking to us at the midnight buffets. He was simply charming, and truly contributed to our exceptional dining experience. So...I tipped him.

But I tipped because I wanted to, not because I felt obligated. I'll do the same on my next cruise. If the service is exceptional (as I expect it will be), I'll tip. If it isn't, I won't.
Old September 25th, 2003, 01:33 AM
Dr Wong

We also felt a desire to tip our Maitre'd. He remembered our names after the first night, he stopped by our table repeated (and we had a pleasure knowing more about him), he remembered our seating preferences, and sometimes he slipped us into the dining room ahead of other passengers who had arrived before us, saving us a 60-90 minute wait! He definitely earned his tip!
Old September 26th, 2003, 10:34 AM
Admiral

I don't have any problem with tipping the suggested amount. We usually sit at a large table and ask if the others there would like to pitch in an extra $2 or $3 each for the waiter and assistant waiter on the last night of the trip.

But I'm a bit confused as to why people think these people make a pittance of a living. I counted 15 customers our waiter was waiting on the last cruise which wasn't a full house. At $3.50 per person and two dinner seatings that's $105 in tips per day. For 30 days a month plus the $50 salary they get that brings the amount to $3200 per month. They work an 8 month contract which then totals to $25,600. If you annualize this to 12 months the equivalent is $38,400. Now this money is U.S. tax free. If you consider the Federal Unemployement, Social Security, and Federal Income tax taken out of your check the equivalent salary you need to make to equal "take home" of $38,400 is a salary of $66,200.

Plus you have to pay for housing, electricity, food, water, trash pickup, cable, insurance, lawn fertilizer, car payments, pet food, household repairs, etc. with your "take home" pay. And you only get 2-4 weeks vacation.

Granted, these people work 12 hour days and for 8 months have very little life outside of work. But it's not like they are enslaved or anything.

Regards,
Thomas
Old September 27th, 2003, 01:46 PM
Cruise Maniac

If tips are pooled and therefore the level of service not an incentive to all the staff, who shares in the tips? I'm curious to see if the cruislines include people we do not customarily tip. Perhaps then, this is a fair way to address that issue. If not, the burden of passengers not tipping verses poor service, is put on the shoulders of thoughtful passengers who would tip and felt by thoughtful sevice personnel eager to please. We are then paying for the deadbeats from both sides of the issue, staff and passengers. It appears then the solution still has not addressed the actual problem.
Old October 8th, 2003, 10:06 AM
Admiral

Agreed Mel.

Regards,
Thomas
Old October 25th, 2003, 01:26 AM
bobby

Tipping the suggested amount should not be a problem for anyone who can afford to go on a cruise. You are well aware of what is expected of you before you sail and have plenty of time to budget for any tip that is required. For those of you that suggest the the cruise lines pay their staff more, I would remind you that the cost to book your cruise would increase by the same amount (or more) that you would tip anyway. What's the difference between paying Carnival $1,800 for a cruise and tipping the employees $200 and paying Carnival $2,000 and tipping nothing. At least when we tip we know the majority of the employees are going to give rewarding service.
Old November 1st, 2003, 12:38 PM
cantw82cruz

The whole idea of "mandatory" tipping is wrong. A tip has always been something like a gift so making it mandatory definitely takes away the gift element. I want to give a tip when I feel like it not because I am being told to.
Tipping has become so mandatory that even for poor service we are still recommended to tip at least 10%. Why? People can say that these employees are working for minimum wage and need the tips to make a living. If they need the tips, then they should do all they can to give good service which would in most cases generate a good tip. There's nothing you can do about people that will not tip for any reason and these people will definitely have the tips removed at the end of their cruise so they won't pay the mandatory tip anyway.
As far as low wages, think about the people who work for low wages say in a retail clothing outlet. I know many of them make only $7 an hour but they may spend an hour fetching different outfits and matching accessories for you, do you feel obligated to tip them? Gas jockies get around $6 an hour but they are seldom tipped. There are lots of occupations that do some service for you and do not command a high wage yet we are not pressured to supplement their income.
I like to reward good service but do not like the pressure and obligation that has become a part of tipping
Old November 1st, 2003, 12:48 PM
Cruise Maniac

guess pretty soon you won't be crusin!!

CARNIVAL DESTINY
Old November 22nd, 2003, 03:25 PM
wallie5446

Just raise the price of the cruise or bring back the sterrage level where you cook n clean for yourself.
Old November 26th, 2003, 02:06 PM
Yeoman

Thomas,
I think it is very RUDE of you to ask your tablemates to chip in to give your servers extra at the end of the cruise. Tipping is a personal matter, and each individual decides how much of a tip to leave.
Old November 27th, 2003, 05:31 PM
Admiral

Maybe Thomas had gotten to know his tablemates well enough to ask them to contribute.

From reading all Thomas' posts and hearing of his considerable cruise experience, "rude" isn't a word that comes to mind for him.

dorothy
fantasy
1-4-04

Carnival Elation
Carnival Elation March 11
Carnival Imagination Sept 07
Carniival Sensation Dec 06
RCI Sovereign of the Seas Sept 06
Carnival Miracle Sept 05
Carnival Glory Sept 04
Carnival Fantasy Jan 04
Old November 28th, 2003, 10:54 AM
Admiral

If the service was exceptional we sometimes will ASK if the others wanted to contribute a bit extra with us. The key word is ask. We usually contribute $2. If everyone pitches in it usually is just enough to buy the waiter dinner on shore from the table of guests.

Regards,
Thomas
Old December 2nd, 2003, 11:55 AM
DebC

I personally wouldn't like it if people unrelated to me, who got to know me over the course of a single week in a vacation setting, thought it was therefore acceptable to suggest that we tip extra $ along with them. It is a very forward thing to do and puts others in a position of feeling pressured to join in or look cheap.

My advice in this situation:
Put your money down on the table or in the tip envelope, or hand it to the wait staff if you prefer, all in plain sight of your tablemates. No need to ask outright or suggest anything. Through your actions, the idea of tipping more will be planted in their mind and they will either join in or they won't, depending on their preference. But at least they won't feel like they've been put on the spot by having you ask them to contribute "their share". I think that's a much more polite way of handling it, but to each his own.

DebC
Old January 20th, 2004, 11:36 AM
Nite Jones

Thomas,

A quick question. I'm new to all this, so I just wanted to clarify. The extra few dollars at the end of the cruise is in addition to your regular tip? So, for instance, if you were on a 10 day cruise, you'd leave $35 per person (on c/c or in envelope, for lines such as HAL) plus the $2 - 3 dollars on the last night?

Thanks!

Day