Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Tipping
Register Forgot Password?

Tipping Discuss policies, guidelines and protocol for tipping on ships here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 17th, 2001, 10:08 PM
Admiral

Default How do we know who it goes to?

Does the passengers bill show who the money is going to, or does it all go into a pool, then get split up at a managers discretion? I don't want to be funding a Carnival employee bonus program, I want to tip the people that served me...

I share the same concerns as others have voice about the level of service dropping. Only those who take pride in their work will continue to offer excellent service, the rest will simply skate....

As I'm writing this I'm thinking "mandatory tipping"? isn't that an oxymoron? ;-)
Sponsored Links
Old January 31st, 2001, 11:04 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: How do we know who it goes to?

From what I've learned about Carnival's new policy regarding automatic tipping, I was told that at the end of the cruise instead of getting envelopes for cash you get vouchers to hand to individual staff members indicating the tip you prepaid. You can give individuals extra cash as you see fit.
Old September 16th, 2002, 01:53 AM
Bruce Chafkin

Default Re: How do we know who it goes to?

Your comments are valid, but your logic is faulty. I agree that service on ships generally has gotten worse over the years.

But please read carefully: I hae worked on 18 ships for 11 different cruise liines over the past 27 years. The internal tipping policies have been the same on every ship - ALL TIPS WERE POOLED. Please read that last sentence again. Its important.

When you gave me an envelope of some cash, it didn`t stay in my pocket very long. As soon as the last passengers disembarked the ship, all the service staff met at the Captain`s table in the diningroom. We all put ALL cash tips on the table for counting. Then the Maitre d` split and handed the money out to EVERYONE, based on a complicated point system administered by him. Today with auto-tipping, the smae system is in place. The only difference is that most of the cash comes from the Purser`s office. We still pool ALL the money in EXACTLY THE SAME WAY. NOTHING HAS REALLY CHANGED. Please read those last two sentences again. They are important.

To repeat, we ALWAYS knew we would receive a tip regardless of service levels. We still do know today that we weill receive a tip regardless of service levels.

Now please explain to everyone how auto-tipping has damaged service levels.

Once again, I agree that service levels have generally deteriorated over the years (I also observe that the quality of guests has deteriorated at the same pace), bu tyoumay be blaming the wrong reasons for the problems that exist.