Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Tipping
Register Forgot Password?

Tipping Discuss policies, guidelines and protocol for tipping on ships here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 18th, 2001, 11:29 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Shorting Themselves..

I have always been in the habit of tipping a higher percentage when service is exceptionally good. If my waiter..busboy or other waitstaff are good to me, I will honestly tip them higher than the minimum. I don't think Carnival is doing a good by this. When I sail, I will request that all automatic tips be removed and I will tip myself, and if they decent, polite and provide good customer service, they will probably get more than the "auto tip"... I think Carnival has listened to one too many consultants.
Sponsored Links
Old January 19th, 2001, 07:13 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna
Default Re: Shorting Themselves..

Hi Dee,
I think I will do the same with the auto tips. If the service is good or above that, we too tip a bit above the recommended amount. It could be that Carnival and other lines look at this from a different point of view. The percentage of tips that get stiffed were amazingly high and I think this new policy will get that down. I really can't imagine anyone going on a cruise and not tipping at least the recommended amount, let alone nothing, its plainly written in all the brochures and most travel agents will go over this with you when booking. Its just too bad its come down to this

Donnassei
Old January 20th, 2001, 08:13 AM
First Mate

i HAVE SEEN THE NUMBER OF PEOPLE WHO 'STIFF THE WAITER' at the end of the cruise.
I also prefer to tip people myself and we ofen give more than the minimum if deserved.
If the bottom line is tha the cruise lines feel their staff is not being tipped ( i.e. paid) according, raise the basic cruise fare and do away with tipping altogether.
once again, if you service is superior, you can also tip extra.
Old January 22nd, 2001, 10:41 PM
Cruise Maniac

I had heard that Carnival was starting automatic tipping and I wasn't pleased about this (sailing the Triumph in July 2001). I didn't know you could have the automatic tipcs removed. I like to hand the envelope over to the individual staff member. That way I can up the tip for good service received. When we sailed the Sensation, we upped the tip for the waiter and bus boy. They were fantastic. I couldn't believe how empty the dining room was the last night. Even our travelling companions who only ate in the dining room on formal nights came the last night to deliver their tips in person.
Old February 5th, 2001, 04:28 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via AIM to Lori

I just booked a Carnival cruise. I don't know what this "automatic tipping" is that everyone is talking about. I chose to prepay my gratuities at the time of booking, which was my option and my choice. Using this option, Carnival does have a set amount per guest, per day, which includes all personnel. This is for the convenience of the traveler - you don't have to try to keep amounts of cash until the last night for your tipping. You receive a voucher in your cruise documents that you insert into the tip envelope for your cabin steward, waiter, and bus boy. Tipping for other personnel, or in greater amounts, is still always at your discretion.
Old February 22nd, 2001, 09:43 PM
Cruise Maniac

Lori, Please correct me if I'm wrong but I believe the automatic tipping you are referring to and that you pay when you book your cruise is different than the new tipping program Carnival has just started. On some ships, they are automatically charging everyone's Sail and Sign card for the tips. You are not given a choice and have to go to the purser's desk and ask to have it removed if you would rather give your tips in cash. I realize that there are people who stiff the wait staff and I think that is very unfortunate and terrible, but I also disagree with Carnival automatically charging your Sail and Sign Card. First, they are taking away my choice and forcing me to have to go through the hassel of having to ask them to remove it, because I would rather give cash in person as I feel it's more personal. Second, the money that I give to the Staff, I know for sure they are getting the dollars I intended for them. I posted somewhere else the question, does Carnival get a "cut" of my prepaid tips to cover the cost of the administration and bookkeeping for this new system and/or maybe also for a little profit? Also, will this new system really solve the problem of the ones who don't tip? If a person is really determined to not tip, they will ask to have it removed anyway. I'm not sure what a good answer is to this problem, but I feel that prepaid tipping is going to cause more unhappy passengers who do tip compared to the number of clods who don't show up in the dining room on the last night to avoid tipping.