Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Tipping
Register Forgot Password?

Tipping Discuss policies, guidelines and protocol for tipping on ships here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 25th, 2001, 05:49 AM
Admiral

Default What Happens To Service?

With Carnivla, NCL and Princess adopting pre-paid gratuity programs, I wonder what will happen to service? Will the crew still smile, or go out of their way at times to make you happy?

I plan on taking a stack of singles, and tipping as I go, even if I ony dine in an alternative rstaurant once. Yes, pre-paid tips are a convenience and Princess' plan is quite reasonable ($6.50 per person, per day), but with ATMs scattered around the Caribbean in every port, it's not hard getting cash any longer.
Sponsored Links
Old January 26th, 2001, 03:12 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: What Happens To Service?

I think that if the crew has no incentive why should they go out of their way to do any more than they have too. However. if cruisers start to give extra tips directly to the waiters, asst. waiters, stewards etc. on top of the tips already charged to cruise accounts, service may not suffer but the tipping thing could really get out of hand.
Old February 9th, 2001, 10:57 AM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via AIM to Lori

If the ship personnel doesn't know who has pre-paid and who hasn't, why would the service be any different?
Old September 16th, 2002, 08:13 AM
Bruce Chafkin

Anne,

This may be helpful.

Your comments are valid, but your logic is faulty. I agree that service on ships generally has gotten worse over the years.

But please read carefully: I have worked on 18 ships for 11 different cruise liines over the past 27 years. The internal tipping policies have been the same on every ship - ALL TIPS WERE POOLED. Please read that last sentence again. Its important.

When you gave me an envelope of some cash, it didn`t stay in my pocket very long. As soon as the last passengers disembarked the ship, all the service staff met at the Captain`s table in the diningroom. We all put ALL cash tips on the table for counting. Then the Maitre d` split and handed the money out to EVERYONE, based on a complicated point system administered by him. Today with auto-tipping, the smae system is in place. The only difference is that most of the cash comes from the Purser`s office. We still pool ALL the money in EXACTLY THE SAME WAY. NOTHING HAS REALLY CHANGED. Please read those last two sentences again. They are important.

To repeat, we ALWAYS knew we would receive a tip regardless of service levels. We still do know today that we weill receive a tip regardless of service levels.

Now please explain to everyone how auto-tipping has damaged service levels.

Once again, I agree that service levels have generally deteriorated over the years (I also observe that the quality of guests has deteriorated at the same pace), bu tyoumay be blaming the wrong reasons for the problems that exist.