Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Tipping
Register Forgot Password?

Tipping Discuss policies, guidelines and protocol for tipping on ships here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 18th, 2001, 08:12 AM
Staci

Default Probably a picky tip question - How many days???

I was planning to go ahead and put the base amount for out tips in envelopes and then add to or take away as we felt so "inspired". As I was about to start, though, I thought about the fact that a 7 day cruise is really only 6 days - or it seems that way to me - it's only my 2nd cruise, though! So, If I'm tipping 3.50 per person per day is that $49 or $42?

Thanks for any advice you can offer!!!
Sponsored Links
Old March 20th, 2001, 01:09 AM
Steve S

Default Re: Probably a picky tip question - How many days???

I always calculate on the number of nights. So a 7 night cruise is 6 actual days. But the tip is on 7.
I also look at it as I spent quite a bit of money for the cruise. If you break down your tip of $49 via $42 for the cruise; the $49 would cost you 58 cents per day more per person. Considering the amount you paid for the cruise that is a bargin. The people who work 14 hours a day that is not a lot of money.
In all a tip of $49 broken down for a 14 hour day is: $3.50 per day for two people, $1.75 each. I do not know of to many people that would work for this wage.

In realness; the individual works for 87 cents per hour per person. Try to get an American to work for those wages!!!!
Old March 20th, 2001, 03:21 PM
Staci

Thanks Steve -

That is really amazing! I can't believe that they only pay them that much per hour - well, I can believe it, I just can't image - the economy of most of the cruise staff''s countries must be in worse shape than ours!!!

Thanks
Old March 20th, 2001, 05:35 PM
RoboCop

Actually Staci, if you crunch the numbers they do make good money and when you base it on the average income of their home country, some are making a small fortune! That is why they do it, they can work on a ship for years and then return home and live in what passes for a very wealthy home here. To give an example, a waiter may be paid $50 - $100 a month but the cruiseline. The cruiseline also provides them free room and board. A waiter my be responsible for two or three tables with an average of 6 per table that is 18 people. If everyone gives them the 'suggested tip of say $4 pp per day that figures out to $72 per day times 7 equals $504 a week. Multiply that times four plus the paid salary and you end up with somewhere around $2100 a month with all expenses paid. That is more than most of them could ever hope to make in quite a few of the countries that these folks come from and much better that the yearly total wages! They work long and hard hours but they are not starving or ill-treated in any sense.
Jim
Old March 20th, 2001, 07:08 PM
alana

We were just told by our carnival vacation planner that on the paradise and on
the imagination they automatically add the tip to your sail and sign card. If you
want to decrease or increase the amount you have to see the persor before the
end of your cruise. I think that's teriible. Tipping should be at my discretion
not the carnivals.

alana
Old March 22nd, 2001, 07:04 PM
gogetter

Hello,

Thank you robocop. I never have heard an explanation of tips. After all i have heard and read about how mistreated and underpaid the wait staff is...i would agree that if it wan't profitable they wouldn't do it.
Even for an american 2100 dollars a month with all expenses paid sounds pretty good. ..whats that 525 a week....and travel also......
Old March 29th, 2001, 06:22 AM
Alex

Even for an american 2100 dollars a month with all expenses paid sounds pretty good. ..whats that 525 a week....and travel also......

Yeah??? Good?
and 14-16 hours of hardwork EVERY day!!! 7 day a week for 6-10 months until they have 2 months vacation. And they have to buy airplane tickets for their own money.
Maybe 2100 is good money, but not easy money...

Alex
Been there done that...