Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Tipping
Register Forgot Password?

Tipping Discuss policies, guidelines and protocol for tipping on ships here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 29th, 2001, 06:05 AM
Alex

Default Remember: dining room staff on Carnival ships recieve no sal

Remember: dining room staff on Carnival ships recieve no salary, just tips!
(except managers).
Carnival's busboys work in alternative dining as well, cleaning up the tables at breakfast and lunch. Please DO tip at least full suggested amount to waiters and busboys even if you did not go to the dining room some day.
Sponsored Links
Old March 29th, 2001, 12:10 PM
RoboCop

Default Re: Remember: dining room staff on Carnival ships recieve no

Alex,
This is not true. All employees do get a salary or base pay. It is true that this base is very small and ranges in the $75 to $100 a month range. I also agree that one should tip, and tip well if the service warrants. These men and women do work very hard and long hours and if you have the chance to learn something about them you will find that they are really wonderful people.
Jim
Old March 31st, 2001, 05:05 AM
Alex

Default Re: Yes, you are right, Jim

I knew that employees on tipping positions recieve 75-100 a month, but the amount is so small, that I just decided not to mention it. Because 100 bucks a month don't make one's happy

There was one lady I served in restaurant... I will remember her forever... At the end of the cruise she and her husband give me envelopes. And at the end of the evening, tired and wet, I open up those envelopes and instead of tips I see postcards with "Thank You" imprinted on them. well, you are welcome keep smiling, boy.
In the same evening I found out, that she gave exactly the same envelopes with postcard to headwaiter and Maitr'D.
I know people dont give tips, give less than it is suggested, some dont come to last dinner and dont tip you at all, but this lady was someting special
But I was not upset... I laughed all night long. That was really funny )

Enjoy your cruise!

Alex
Old March 31st, 2001, 08:08 PM
RoboCop

Alex, that's terrible of these people! If you receive service, you should tip, if you received good service then you should tip at least the minimum, if you receive very good or exceptional service then you should tip very good to exceptional! I always present the envelopes personally and with my heartfelt thanks as I know the staff works hard and I want them to know I for one appreciate it. Also, my envelopes contain cash.
Jim
Old March 31st, 2001, 08:58 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Hi Alex,
My envelopes also contain cash, I agree with you, these tips are these workers major income and many of them send a good portion of them back home to their families. I really don't understand how people can get decent service and not have the decency to tip accordingly.

Donnassei
Old April 1st, 2001, 05:52 PM
gogetter

Hello,

As has been mentioned, always tip...tip better when better service is provided....BUT. what happens if you get bad service and an attitude of i dont care ? I am not saying this has happened to me or happens frequently...but everybody has a bad day once in a while. therefore service has to suffer.

Just a rhetorical question ?
Old April 17th, 2001, 05:30 PM
Jim Munkittrick

Bad service...reduce the tip accordingly and drop a note to the department head. Good service...increase the tip.
Wanna bet bet that slimoid brags to her friends how she stiffs the service staff on her cruises? Wanna bet she always changes ships? Wanna bet she is the one we have all seen whining about service levels, etc?
There are times when you wish you could revoke membership in the human race from some of our more "fringe" members?
Old April 18th, 2001, 10:57 AM
Alex

Default Re: Perhaps

Well, Jim, perhaps she does all that, but I didn't try to find out

>>>There are times when you wish you could revoke membership in the human race from some of our more "fringe" members?

Please, Jim, no killngs in the message board

Regards,
Alex

http://alex.outride.com
Old April 18th, 2001, 01:16 PM
Jim Munkittrick

Oh no!
Pls, don't read me wrong!
I just want to take her membership card!
No nasty stuff, that would put us in the same catagory!
You know, we all have adriver's license, credit card, etc? Well, the next time anyone asked her to prove she was a "decent" person...she couldn't fake it!
Life is to short, there aren't enough cruises, to waste time getting ugly with others, I meant no "negative" comments!