Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Tipping
Register Forgot Password?

Tipping Discuss policies, guidelines and protocol for tipping on ships here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 8th, 2001, 12:57 PM
KandiJo

Default Tipping Kid's Staff?

Is is appropriate/expected to tip the staff at the Kids activities? When would would you tip, what amount...do they provide envelopes or guidance on this?

I'm not even sure if it's the same staff that is there every day....(this is Princess). Our kids will likely want to participate every day.

Any advice is appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Old October 8th, 2001, 05:23 PM
Pup_Frueh

Default Re: Tipping Kid's Staff?

We're going to the Dawn Princess this Saturday, my 8-year old is looking forward to becoming a "Princess Pelican". My experience on Royal Caribbean ships is that tipping Kid's Staff is not required nor endorsed. But of all people on the ship who deserve some appreciation. I have expressed my thanks and an envelope in the past to the few staff members.

I spoke with one Staff member who encouraged me to check out Princess and RCL lines when bringing children on a cruise, as opposed to Disney's line. The simple fact of one adult supervising 10 children (or there abouts) on Princess and RCL as compared to Disney's one adult for 30+ children....

Give what you think is appropriate, but ask your child as to their experience.

Happy Cruise to you.
Pup_Frueh
Old October 25th, 2002, 12:56 PM
Sarah Jones

Hello,
First of all have a wonderful cruise. Your kids will most likely have a blast in the program and not want to leave you. Most ships and cruiselines I have been on don't provide envelopes for the people who take care of your children, which is a shame because these people in my opinion are more important then anyone on the ship. You trust them with the happiness of your child. I have asked kid's camp staff and they all seem to say they pool and share all the tips..so regardsless of when or who looks after your child they will recieve the money but I always try to thank the person who gave my child and extra special experience in person and hand any money to them. As well giving them a nice thanks in any comment cards by name.
I tip $20 to $40 per week per child. The better the service the better the tip and the more times the kids go I tend to go toward the higer end.
Hope this helps..Have a great cruise!
Old July 31st, 2003, 02:52 AM
First Mate

Send a message via Yahoo to Melanie
Default Re: Re: Tipping Kid's Staff?

Our daughter didn't spend a lot of time at Camp Carnival but she loved the time she was there. I figure she was probably there for a total of about 8 hours during the entire 7 day cruise. The last night was supposed to be a big party for the kids and she was too seasick to attend but my husband and I went and gave her camp counselor an envelope with $30 to show our appreciation. We were very surprised that we didn't receive an envelope that was specifically for them. They were just as important to us as any other ships staff.

Melanie

Paradise - January 2009

Paradise - April 2008
Carnival Pride - Nov 2007
Paradise - Sept 2005
Carnival Pride - Nov 2004
Ecstasy - Jan 2004
Carnival Pride - Nov 2003
Elation - Nov 2002
Old September 5th, 2003, 01:19 PM
Yeoman

I think that the reason they don't get a tip share with all the other service staff is because they are better paid. I understand that most of them have dgrees in childcare or education and therefore are problay in a different level then say your bus boy. I do think a samll tip 20 to 40 dollars is a nice touch if they have been good with your kids.