Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Tipping
Register Forgot Password?

Tipping Discuss policies, guidelines and protocol for tipping on ships here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 23rd, 2002, 08:37 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Removing the "auto-tip"

If I remove the auto-tip will the staff waiting on me know it? The reason that I ask the question is that If I decide that I would prefer the staff "earn" my tip would they think that I am just "cheap" if they knew about it. My trip on the Ecstasy next week (Mar 4) is our first time with "prepaid" tips and I was just wondering.
Sponsored Links
Old February 23rd, 2002, 12:14 PM
Nanette

Default Re: Removing the "auto-tip"

Wow! That never occured to me, Barry. I'll be really interested in hearing feedback on this, as well.

I fully intended to go to the purser first thing to stop the automatic tipping. Now I'm a bit concerned!
Old February 23rd, 2002, 01:21 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

If the did know, they'd like just think you want to tip in person (or they'd hope that's the case). If you didn't extend an envelope on the final night, they'd most certainly think you were cheap.

On our New Years cruise, the final night I gave our waitress a few extra dollars.. and she told me that wasn't necessary, the tip has been taken care of. So she obviously knew I had left ours on the automatic tipping system.

Personally I didn't know if I would like the auto tipping, but I found it worked well. I really view the "suggest amount" as a minimum, and go above that when service warrants it.
Therefore when service is good, and they get the extra $ handed to them, they are appreciative, and understand it was for the great service.

Regards,
Kuki
Old February 24th, 2002, 05:49 AM
Cruise Maniac

Kuki,

Thanks for the info/advice. I certainly look at the suggested amount as a minimum as well. Just wondering if complaceny has set in with the cruise staff with the auto-tip. Actually since we as passengers, treat the tip as now just part of the cruise price, the cruise staff may really go all out (even more than normal) to earn additional tips.

Barry
Old February 24th, 2002, 07:22 AM
First Mate

I cruised on Princess last year with the auto-tip and really liked it. You can wait til the end of the cruise to reward good service without bothering with cash thru-out the cruise. And the service was phenomenal!! Extra tips to the room steward, waiter, etc, but on the last day. Also, you can increase the tip at the pursers desk if you wish to give more but have run out of cash, but the envelope at the end of the cruise is my preferred way.
Old February 24th, 2002, 07:51 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Gloria, thanks for the information *

nm
Old February 24th, 2002, 07:02 PM
Holly

Default Re: Gloria, thanks for the information *

Had our first experience w/ auto tips 12/01. We asked our dining room waiter his preference since he was the BESt we'd had since 1969, He preferred $$. So we wnt to the pursars office and removed the tips. As a result, he got 150% of the standard amount from us. The room steward got a little less since not only did he do the absolute minimum required but he locked hubby's insulin in the refrigerator the last night after carfully moving a half sandwich and 1 cookie to the ice bucket. Took 2 hours to get security to come open the refigerator.
Old April 28th, 2002, 11:11 AM
Passenger

I too will have my first experience with auto tip in June. The other cruises we have been on this was not done(but I see it is becoming pretty standard). I fully intend to go to the pursers desk first thing and take them OFF! I think one of the most enjoyable things at the end of the cruise is handing that envelope to those people that you have gotten to know for just a little part of thier lives and shaking their hand and giving them a genuine "thank-you"!! There is too much in this world today that is so un-personalized and I don't like having this opportunity taken away from me. Ellen.
Old April 28th, 2002, 09:22 PM
Gael

We thought we'd want to remove the auto tip, but you can do that at any time during your cruise. Instead of standing in line for that, why not give it a couple of days and see how you feel? Also you can do it when there isn't a line already. We liked the convenience, and I've read that even when you tip in cash on Princess they still have to report that, and it gets pooled. Supposedly that came from a waiter on the Grand. The service we got with Personal Choice and auto-tip was every bit as good as with traditional dining/tipping.

The only thing that left us a little dissatisfied is the pushing of drinks at meal times. I prefer water, and neither of us drink alcohol at all. When we didn't order from the bar some of the waitstaff seemed a little annoyed. We did take that complaint to the purser, and this year will mention it to the concierge when we make dinner reservations so he can give them the heads-up and ward off any negative attitudes.
Old June 19th, 2002, 06:15 AM
Limey-Neil

Tipping is a personal gesture (To Insure Personal Service -TIPS) and should remain that way. If companies such as Princess are encouraging passengers to pre-pay gratuities, why not add it to the cruise fare to start with? Staff wages would increase but they would still have the incentive to work for an extra tip at the end of the cruise. The crew that have really gone the extra mile could still be rewarded at the end of the cruise with a personal tip. Although the tradition in the US is to tip anything that moves, in the UK out tradition is different, we view that we get what we payed for and this includes the service on board, therefore when we tip (an we do occationally!!) it is a genuine show of gratification, not an obligation to suppliment wages!!!!
Old June 22nd, 2002, 09:41 PM
DeniseToAlaska

Default Re: Re: Removing the "auto-tip"

Limey, I couldn't agree more.

I was actually looking forward to tipping, since I'm a pretty generous person, and appreciate people and want them to know that.

But now it's just added cruise fare. I'll still give extra at the end most likely unless it was horrible. Do they give envelopes or do you bring envelopes? How's that for a dumb newbie question!

I do see the logic of it from the cruise line point of view, because people get SO confused about what to tip whom and at the end of the cruise the cheap people think they can get away with nothing and the oblivious just don't realize.

But, you know, tipping at the END of the cruise never made sense to me either. Servers are going to serve their hardest and they just wind up with whatever you leave them.

On the other hand, daily tipping lets them know whom to work hardest for! But that's not proper manners? If I tip my room attendent in the halls is that gauche?

Maybe tipping at the end was encouraged so that no guest gets substandard treatment no matter how cheap they are.

It's really confusing to me, which is probably why the auto-tipping was instituted!

Denise