CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Tipping (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/tipping/)
-   -   Tips for Children? (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/tipping/300000-tips-children.html)

AJ February 23rd, 2002 03:01 PM

Tips for Children?

Do they expect the same tips from small children if they are traveling with 2 adults? I have not heard too much about this. We tipped them extra when we took our son last time and I gave the kids club a generous tip they EARNED it! Don't get me wrong I am not trying to be cheap. Last time my son ate 3 nights with the kids group not in the dining room and I am one of those people who clean before the cabin gets cleaned. I just wanted someone elses opinion.

Holly February 24th, 2002 06:54 PM

Re: Tips for Children?

Does the airline charge less because yr child is a child or do you still pay the same amount because he takes up a seat. I don't care how much you straighten/clean as a neatnick. An extra person in a cabin creates more work. More towels to replace. More toothpaste drips to clean up. More garbage to empty. Did your child not take a seat a paying/tipping person could have utilized in the dining room? Do you not tip for your child's meal at a resturant at home or do you only go to McDonalds? The service/ wait staff is 99% dependent on tips to support their families.

pbenjamin February 27th, 2002 05:50 PM

Celebrity, at least, makes the following statement, after outlining the suggested tip amounts:

For children less than 12 years old, as third or fourth person in the stateroom, half the above amounts are recommended.

natalie March 7th, 2002 02:35 PM

Good afternoon! We will be taking out son on his first cruise in April and we will tip the full amount for the waiters and the cabin steward.

Although an admirable trait, I don't think you should tip less because you clean up after yourself. However, I do think you should tip more if you are overly messy or make more than average demands.

For instance, if a child makes a big mess at the dinner table, I think an extra tip is warrented. If the child is a perfect angel and neat as a pin, then the normal tip is still appropriate. If your cabin steward has to empty trash cans that have dirty diapers---bigger tip.

And so on and so forth.

However, I was dismayed to find out that everybody dumps their tips into a tip pool and they are distributed equally among the cabin stewards, etc. To make up for this, I plan on giving my cabin steward a little something extra--(if he deserves it) on the side and put the minimum recommended tip in the envelope.

jim May 20th, 2002 01:15 PM

Re: Re: Tips for Children?

Holly: You must work for the cruiseline...... I think the question was appropriate, but your method of response quite rude....Holly wrote:

> Does the airline charge less because yr child is a child or
> do you still pay the same amount because he takes up a seat. I
> don't care how much you straighten/clean as a neatnick. An
> extra person in a cabin creates more work. More towels to
> replace. More toothpaste drips to clean up. More garbage to
> empty. Did your child not take a seat a paying/tipping person
> could have utilized in the dining room? Do you not tip for
> your child's meal at a resturant at home or do you only go to
> McDonalds? The service/ wait staff is 99% dependent on tips to
> support their families.

Allan May 20th, 2002 06:13 PM

Re: Re: Re: Tips for Children?

I agree. Very rude answer to a simple question.

Mike Sullivan May 28th, 2002 11:25 AM

Re: Re: Tips for Children?

We have 2 cabins, my wife and daughter (age 6) in one and the other my son (age 9)and myself (no quads left). Guess I should just pay the $10 per person per day and shut up huh? :)

I believe tips are a way for company's to make comsumers pay the salaries for THEIR employees. It would be different if the employees made a full salary and we "tipped" them for extra good service. Hell, they are supposed to give good service for heavens sakes! :) If I don't get good service on other industries/occupations I take my business elsewhere.

OK, I have said my peace. :)

Beth June 10th, 2002 10:58 AM

Re: Re: Re: Tips for Children?

About tips for children, and tips in general. Where else, for $3-5 can you feel generous as all get-out. If a tip of $50 is expected and you give $55, you are a big spender. How else could you spread so much joy for so little? While I agree that the cruise lines could pay their staff better, the cruises would then cost more and you would miss out on the opportunity for generosity.
Generosity rules. Enjoy it.