Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Tipping
Register Forgot Password?

Tipping Discuss policies, guidelines and protocol for tipping on ships here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 27th, 2002, 02:44 PM
Admiral

Default Who gets tips

Okay folks, for those of you that have always wondered who gets the tip and if they have to share or what, he is the answers directly from those that benifit. The Bar staff get to keep the 15% tip that is added on to the drinks, they do not share, which is the reason when a wiater finds you and knows you like or will buy a certain drink, you will see him/her standing there with a grin on his/her face when you feel a thirst coming on.
The waiters and busboys, they also do not share thier tips nor do they have to give the head waiter or Maitre d' any portion of thier tip. This goes for auto tipping or traditional tipping. Hope that helps clarify any confusion and encourages you to tip your servers according to the service they provide.
Jim

Old June 11th, 2002, 11:19 PM
Vicki C

Default Re: Who gets tips

Jim,
We were on the new Carnival Pride 2/2/02 and our waiter who was terrific by the way told us that all the tips in the dining room that are charged to your sign and sail cards are pooled and given out 2 weeks after the fact. The tips you give personally are not treated this way, but they give their bus boys and assistant waiters part of their tips.
Thought you would like to know what we were told.
Vicki
Old September 16th, 2002, 09:07 AM
Bruce Chafkin

Default Re: Re: Who gets tips

This may be helpful.
Your comments are valid, but your logic is faulty. I agree that service on ships generally has gotten worse over the years.

But please read carefully: I have worked on 18 ships for 11 different cruise liines over the past 27 years. The internal tipping policies have been the same on every ship - ALL TIPS WERE POOLED. Please read that last sentence again. Its important.

When you gave me an envelope of some cash, it didn`t stay in my pocket very long. As soon as the last passengers disembarked the ship, all the service staff met at the Captain`s table in the diningroom. We all put ALL cash tips on the table for counting. Then the Maitre d` split and handed the money out to EVERYONE, based on a complicated point system administered by him. Today with auto-tipping, the smae system is in place. The only difference is that most of the cash comes from the Purser`s office. We still pool ALL the money in EXACTLY THE SAME WAY. NOTHING HAS REALLY CHANGED. Please read those last two sentences again. They are important.

To repeat, we ALWAYS knew we would receive a tip regardless of service levels. We still do know today that we weill receive a tip regardless of service levels.

Now please explain to everyone how auto-tipping has damaged service levels.

Once again, I agree that service levels have generally deteriorated over the years (I also observe that the quality of guests has deteriorated at the same pace), bu tyoumay be blaming the wrong reasons for the problems that exist.
Old September 16th, 2002, 09:08 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Re: Who gets tips

So, Bruce,let me get this straight...if I tip extra for some ONE person who gave me excellent service...it'll still be pooled with every one else? What about if I tip them during the cruise(a little extra) will they keep that to themselves or pool it?
Thanks for clarifying things. First timer & want to do it right. I also depend on tips & tend to over tip. Just want to make sure it goes where I want the tip to go.
Old September 16th, 2002, 10:29 PM
Bruce Chafkin

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Who gets tips

Rootgrl,

That answer is not so easy. The procedure varies by company AND by ship AND by department/outlet.
Sometimes the staff get together and decide amongst themselves how to handle extra cash tips.

Bruce
Old October 14th, 2002, 02:21 AM
sdl

Default Strategies and Gifts

Bruce,
I am planning ahead, and packing something special and useful for each crew member I expect to have dealings with.
In taking note of your pooling of tips scenario, and feeling strongly that if I give extra it is for the Personal Service I and no one else received, how do I ensure that if the crew member wishes to keep this monies for themselves they can without any problems?
I was thinking having the regular auto-tipping if all went well, and giving a small gift-bag with the gift/card in it and the extra below with a sticky telling them it was for them alone for the services I felt they performed above and beyond the job...
What do you think? Will this work for them?
S
Old January 3rd, 2003, 09:56 PM
Passenger

Seems the tipping dilema will never be solved here OR at other message boards I frequent. As with this board most weighing in say that their facts are straight yet another will come along claiming to have the reeeeeal facts.

We sailed the Splendour out of Galveston Dec 13-23, 2002. Oh yeah.....to those Carnival people that couldn't tender in Grand Cayman.....ha haha ha ha.....it was great ;-). Now I'm not claiming to have the facts, but I will claim what I was told (while ;-) sober) is actually what I was told by the purser's desk, our rm attendant, a rm attendant one floor up on the other side of the ship, our waiter, assistant waiter, 3 bartenders and 3 other random drink jockeys around the 2 pool areas. As far as the 6 people involved at the bars or with drinks....the 15% grat was divided among those involved with alcohol. I never once was told they went by seniority as far as what % they received.
As far as the rest........the stories were basically the same. They all said that they do not pool and tips were not given according to seniority. Were they telling the truth? Maybe. Were they lying to keep me from telling others who may choose to tip less cause of a dislike of pooling tips? Maybe. All I really know for sure is that I know about the same now as when I left with the difference being I got the answers from the horse's mouth this time. I do hate the idea of pooling as I believe it create areas of laziness. These problems are probably fixed by dismisals or a change in duties, but usually take a while which means the hard workers are getting ripped until it is fixed. I tip according to the extras I receive whether asked for or surprised with. When I see a smile from a rm attendant after cleaning a bunch of post buffet toilets twice a day I feel that deserves extra. Have you ever went by an opened rm and glanced in when the rm attendant has just went in? If they're still smiling when finished cleaning up after the slobs on board then they deserve extra.

Thanks for readin, RB
Old January 13th, 2003, 12:16 AM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via Yahoo to DanaB

Okay, I hope it is so, then...I was just on a Christmas cruise (RCCL Sovereign of the Seas) and our waiter and assistant waiter were so awesome, we tipped them WAY WAY WAY WAY WAY more than the suggested amounts. So they did get to keep what they earned from us? We tipped in cash. It makes me sick to my stomach to think that they might not have gotten the full tips that they earned for spoiling us rotten to the bone!

Dana

Sovereign of the Seas - 12/22/02
Sovereign of the Seas - 04/27/03
Sovereign of the Seas - 09/04/03 *and* 09/07/03
Old January 20th, 2003, 11:20 PM
kubies

Default Re: Re: Who gets tips

We have taken 2 Princess cruses and have had the "ususal" tip ($10.00 per person per day) billed to our account. Additionally we have passed an envelope with varying amounts to cabin stewards, waiters and assistant waiters depending on their "extra" attention. I am disheartened to believe that each of them had to share this extra tip. Please suggest what we might do in the future to make sure that the staff we want tips to go to get those tips!
Old January 30th, 2003, 05:49 AM
Levy

Default Re: Re: Re: Who gets tips

Tipping is in my opinion antisocial and degrading when given to any individual.The sooner it is abolished the sooner the employers will give their employees better wages.If one does want to give tips then it is best if the tips are pooled for all.Better of the 2 evils.As a seasoned traveller I am pleased to note that some countries in europe
discourage tipping. L
Old February 6th, 2003, 07:21 PM
Christy

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Who gets tips

I am a big tipper anyplace I go, but I agree that tipping should be done away with, so that employers will pay their employees.

We lived in Japan for 4 years, where tipping was not a practice anywhere, under any circumstance. When we first arrived to Japan, we ate a local restaurant where we tipped the waitress 2,000 Yen (about $15-$20).... it was funny to see her reaction... she had no idea why we left money, and tried to catch us to give it back. We learned very quickly, and were comfortable with it.