Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Tipping
Register Forgot Password?

Tipping Discuss policies, guidelines and protocol for tipping on ships here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 26th, 2002, 01:49 PM
Passenger

Default another AUTO-tipping Question

I am going on the Carnival elation, and I read somewhere I think it was on the Carnival site about the auto tipping and it said 9.50 would be charged. Is that $ 9.50 a day per person to each of the people I have to tip? If so There is at least 3 peole to tip so that would make my auto tip be close to 30 bucks a day times 7 days so that is about $ 210
total just for me and then my husband would be another 210 so that is 420 bucks in tips. That seems a tad bit high. I must have something wrong here. Or are they saying it is $9.50 a day per person total which would be about 70 bucks for me and 70 for the hubby making the total around 140. That seems kinda low. I am totaly confused here SOMEBODY HELP ME!! I am going tip-crazy

and then to confuse me more I read on a site that If you do the Auto tipping the ship takes a cut of the tips so the people who work so hard for you dont get thier whole tip? Is that true? or just a bad rummor? I know all this can be solved by just having the auto tipping turned off but I just want to do the right thing and the best thing and the least hectic thing. lol
Sponsored Links
Old June 26th, 2002, 07:21 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna
Default Re: another AUTO-tipping Question

Hi Rl-go,
Ok, I know its a bit confusing, but the $9.50 a day per person is for all the people you need to tip, so, that would total $19.00 times the 7 days, which adds up to $133.00 for both of you for the week. Sounds much better, doesn't it?? You can also add or subtract from that amount if you see fit, or if you get really exceptional service you can just keep the automatic tipping the way it is and add some cash if you want. Hope this made sence?

Enjoy the cruise!

Message Boards Moderator
Old July 15th, 2002, 01:56 PM
Beginner

Send a message via MSN to noytay

We were on the Elation in May, as soon as we got on board, I asked about the auto tipping, and was told that it had not gone into effect yet. I like to tip at the end of the cruise, for services rendered. At the end, I think that I tipped more than would have been the normal $9.50 a day.
Old September 16th, 2002, 02:42 AM
Bruce Chafkin

RL-go,

Please read below.

I agree that service on ships generally has gotten worse over the years.

But please read carefully: I have worked on 18 ships for 11 different cruise liines over the past 27 years. The internal tipping policies have been the same on every ship - ALL TIPS WERE POOLED. Please read that last sentence again. Its important.

When you gave me an envelope of some cash, it didn`t stay in my pocket very long. As soon as the last passengers disembarked the ship, all the service staff met at the Captain`s table in the diningroom. We all put ALL cash tips on the table for counting. Then the Maitre d` split and handed the money out to EVERYONE, based on a complicated point system administered by him. Today with auto-tipping, the smae system is in place. The only difference is that most of the cash comes from the Purser`s office. We still pool ALL the money in EXACTLY THE SAME WAY. NOTHING HAS REALLY CHANGED. Please read those last two sentences again. They are important.

To repeat, we ALWAYS knew we would receive a tip regardless of service levels. We still do know today that we weill receive a tip regardless of service levels.

Now please explain to everyone how auto-tipping has damaged service levels.

Once again, I agree that service levels have generally deteriorated over the years (I also observe that the quality of guests has deteriorated at the same pace), bu tyoumay be blaming the wrong reasons for the problems that exist.