Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Tipping
Register Forgot Password?

Tipping Discuss policies, guidelines and protocol for tipping on ships here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 26th, 2002, 12:37 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Tips must be earned!

My wife and I are sailing on the Destiny in 11 days and have been told that our card will be charged with all tips the moment we board. I plan on removing these tips the first day. However, I am bringing phone cards for my room steward and waiters promising that great service will be rewarded in kind. I believe tips should be earned and not just given because everyone else does.
Sponsored Links
Old September 26th, 2002, 08:15 PM
Jim Gallup

Default Re: Tips must be earned!

A telephone card is not a tip. Giving a telephone card to a waiter is like throwing popcorn ot the bears at the zoo.

Those stewards and waiters send almost all their "tips" home to their families to pay the rent, send the kids to school, and to buy food.
Strangely, landlords in the Philippines do not accept telephone cards as payment.
Old September 30th, 2002, 12:09 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Re: Tips must be earned!

Hi,
The telephone card is NOT a tip. It's an incentive to work a little harder for the tip that comes at the end of the cruise.
Thanks for writing
Old September 30th, 2002, 08:57 PM
First Mate

Bryan,
Have to disagree with you on this one. IMHO that is akin to rewarding a dog with a bone after performing a trick. I agree that the phone card is a nice idea in addition to the regular tip if the service is above your expectations. If you don't like the service, have the tip adjusted or removed but don't dangle a phone card in front of them!

We just got back from the Radiance today (cash tipping) and we adjusted the Headwaiter's tip accordingly to zippo, as did our tablemates. Why? The only time we saw him was when we were exiting the dining room last night. Before that we didn't know he was on board.

richard
Old October 1st, 2002, 11:40 AM
Admiral

Would you go into a restaurant and say to a waiter when he first approaches you " give
me good service and there is a big tip in it for you"?
I wouldn't. I would let the tip thing alone. If after a day or so you are not getting what you expect ,say something to the service provider and /or their supervisor. If you are getting what you expect leave it alone and tip appropriately (whether automatically or in cash).
If you are getting outstanding above and beyond expectations then add cash to that persons' tip. I have never experienced BAD service on a cruise. If some individual item is not to my liking I have never had a reasonable request refused. Taking an aggresive " you'll earn your tip or else" attitude may very well get you inferior service as the person may figure you are going to screw them anyway. If you are looking for that "one little reason" to reduce your tip ,surely ,you will find it every time.
In my book , go with the standard tip unless you receive BAD service and I have never had that experience.. Don't get yourself all in a tizzy about tipping. Figure it is part of the cost of the vacation and go with it. Happy cruising
Old October 2nd, 2002, 01:38 PM
Cruise Maniac

Richard,
We can agree to disagree. thanks for writing
Old October 2nd, 2002, 01:44 PM
Cruise Maniac

Hi papabill,

Believe me, I don't get into a tizzy about tipping. The phone card is a great way to break the ice with a new friend. And I do use the same approach in restaurants. I'm a very engaging person and enjoy learning about the people who are providing a service. I'm also the sam way with contractors who come to my house. Whats wrong with getting to know the person before he or she performs the service?
I do not agree with the idea of tipping simply for tipping sake, even if that person only "makes" $1 an hour. In receiving a tip, the person offering the service should always go above and beyond the standard service. Simply my opinion. I've made some wonderful friends this way both thru crusing and the retail and restaurant world.

We can agree to disagree and thanks for writing.
Old October 9th, 2002, 07:05 PM
Passenger

Papabill-couldn't help but laugh at your post regarding someone in a restaurant who promises the waitperson at the begining of service a "big tip"". They are ALWAYS the one who stiff you!!! You are so right about people looking for a reason to diminish the tip. Always one in every crowd.
Now, my question is...if all tips all pooled,(as I understand from these boards) why would you give an additional tip to some one if they don't get to keep it? I need to have this cleared up. As some one whose income depends on tips, I over tip, but this pooling of tips doesn't seem to merit any extra $$$. Thanks for feedback
Old October 11th, 2002, 11:54 AM
Yeoman

I have no desire to learn about my waiters personal life. Yes I am very friendly and engage in chit chat. Now that I know tips are pooled will only be tipping the recommended amount. On my last cruise the Mexican waiters were goofing off and I had to ask for a glass of iced tea 3 times. I believe this poor service was due to upfront tipping. Not much of an incentive to give superior service! In the past I always tipped far more than the recommended amount but NO MORE!
Old October 13th, 2002, 09:53 AM
gogetter

Hello,

Sorry rootgirl...have to 100 per cent disagree with you......Several times for my wives' birthday party, i ask the server to make special time, and to wait on my wife. I usually start off with a 20. ALWAYS the person has performed inadequate. I guess they think thats the only tip they will recieve, but that is and was discussed not the case. I thinks it's BS when you genuinely try to explain a situation to a server, and they go out of their way NOT to serve you.

Also i made the mistake of tipping the cabin steward the day before. GUESS WHAT.....nothing that night...I happened to see the guy, and he gave me some lame excuse he forgot......i laughed and said yea right buddy.......
Old October 18th, 2002, 01:39 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Re: Re: Tips must be earned!

I'm Back!

And I'm sorry to disagree with those who disagreed with me regarding "tips must be earned" but my wife and I went ahead with our idea of giving our cabin steward a phone card the first day we saw her. She loved it, said no one had ever thought about her BEFORE any service was given and without saying so, gave us 200% service. Needless to say, she received above and beyond at the end of the cruise.

As to tipping for the sake of tipping; While not a mandatory tip, you are encouraged to tip the maitre 'd who you almost never see except on the first day.

We did see the hostess everyday and everywhere (on both dining floors) always ready to help always smiling and very friendly, we decided to give her the tip instead of the maitre' d. While she receives a portion of the wait staff tip, we felt an additional tip was in order.
Old January 29th, 2003, 01:03 AM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Tips must be earned!

>>> As to tipping for the sake of tipping; While not a mandatory tip, you are encouraged to tip the maitre 'd who you almost never see except on the first day.

Okay, explain to me just why you tip someone who you only see one time, and does nothing for you the rest of the time?

I think I am a decent tipper, usually tipping extra when service is extra good, and even giving an ordinary tip when service is below average. But I am not in favor of tipping for tipping sake.

-- Brian