Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Tipping
Register Forgot Password?

Tipping Discuss policies, guidelines and protocol for tipping on ships here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 20th, 2003, 10:32 PM
angel

Default Prepaid gratuities

I recieved a gift ... all expenses paid cruise, gratuities included. After receiving my docs, I called Carnival asking if "coupons" (which I have read somewhere, would be provided for me to place in the tip envelopes) for prepaid tips were available. Their answer was no. What should I do? This is my first cruise, I want those who deserve tips to receive them, but wonder if they will ever see the prepaid tips. Thanks in advance for your advice.
Sponsored Links
Old April 1st, 2003, 06:17 PM
Darrell

Default Re: Prepaid gratuities

Do the pre-paid grat, well worth it. And remember bar drinks are not included.

Darrell
Old April 3rd, 2003, 12:44 PM
First Mate

Send a message via AIM to pridevacation
Default Re: Prepaid gratuities

I have been reading the posts on this site for 3 days now, and still confused. When paying pre-paid grat, WHO is getting it, and who STILL needs to be tipped and when. I was under the impression, it covered all but bartenders, and IF someone when out of their way to do something extra for you. But if I am tipping the steward/ess, waiter, bartenders, security and Captain of the Boat, then what is the point of pre-paid Grat?

Darrell
Old May 16th, 2003, 09:11 AM
sissysis

Default Re: Re: Prepaid gratuities

I'm waiting to see what other answers you get on this one! Good Question!
Author: SisSis (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: 05-09-03 21:55

From what I have read at the end of the cruise EVERYONE puts all the money they received in their envelopes in the middle of a table and then it is divided up according to some unknown set of rules for who has the most service time down to the least amount of time but everyone gets something. So if you tip your regular wait staff in the main dining room their expected tip amount, that person serving you the pizza will ultimately get his share of the money for the services he rendered to you.
Tipping is a sore subject with me though. I believe in a tip for good service but I also believe that the cruise lines should pay their people more to begin with even if it meant that cruises would be more expensive. Then, you would have the cruise lines offerring more competitive prices and more "real" deals instead of the b.s. deals you hear about but end up costing you 10x more than advertised. AND Then, when you DID get good service from your cabin steward or wait staff you could tip them accordingly and it shouldn't have to be divided up. The cabin steward or wait staff person who didn't earn a lot of tips would realize that he/she must not have been doing a good job.
As it is now, what incentive is it for the crew to do an outstanding job when a "slacker" is going to get included in dividing up the money? Just an observation. But again, I do tip well because it's not the crew's fault the system is screwed up.