Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Tipping
Register Forgot Password?

Tipping Discuss policies, guidelines and protocol for tipping on ships here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 16th, 2003, 04:56 PM
meangreen

Default auto-tip on carnival

I keep hearing about this. How does it work? Do they ask you when you embark which way you want to do it or is it automatically added to your S&S card? I understand you are given the opportunity to adjust it. When? Do they slip the bill under your door on the last night and you adjust it and leave it in the room or what? I'm curious because I have booked a cruise for August.
Sponsored Links
Old April 16th, 2003, 06:28 PM
meangreen

Default Re: auto-tip on carnival

More questions....
Does auto-tip mean that crew members are not allowed to accept tips personally? Can I give my tip directly to my waiter or steward and delete the full amount from the S&S card?
Old April 16th, 2003, 06:57 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

The tips are automatically billed to your "sail & sign" account, they don't ask you. If you prefer to remove them, and tip in the traditional manner, you have to actively go to the Guest Relations Desk and tell them you'd like to remove or adjust them.

The staff are allowed to accept any gratuity handed to them directly, whether in place of or in addition to the auto tip.

Old April 17th, 2003, 07:59 AM
Yeoman

MORE questions. ;-)
I keep hearing that... All... tips are pooled. Does ANY one know for sure?? If so, it doesn't make any sense to slip a little something extra to a fav. waiter or server, if they have to give it away...IMHO. Please enlighten me.
A 99.9% over tipper.
SSaFWs..ED
Old June 6th, 2003, 08:08 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: auto-tip on carnival

I have read lots of info on this subject (I need to as we don't tip in Australia) and from what people are saying all monies, whether you pay cash direct or auto account, it is all divided up according to a set of rules (usely by the Maitre'D) and distributed according to who does what on the ship. If you have the auto tipping and you want to give something extra to a person who is outstanding in their job that money still goes (supposedly) into the same pool of money at the end of the cruise. So in reality you are just paying extra to all staff. On the other hand if you get poor service don't just not tip them, let someone know about it ie. the Maitre'D!

Cheers
Old July 31st, 2003, 01:07 AM
First Mate

Send a message via Yahoo to Melanie
Default Re: Re: Re: auto-tip on carnival

Will the staff know before hand who is using the auto tipping and who is not. I don't want to appear to be a non tipper on the last night of the cruise by not handing out envelopes.

We went on our very first cruise last year and handed out envelopes on the last night as customary. We gave the recommended amounts but were very generous with a few of the envelopes giving much more than the required amounts because we wanted to reward a few of the people who went above and beyond. We had no idea the tips were pooled until now. So I have a few questions, hopefully someone might be able to answer...

If the tips are pooled, did the people we actually hand the envelopes to get to open them. We had included short thank you notes and special wishes in some of them.

If we auto tip but still hand them something extra on the last night, will they get to keep that tip or is that to be pooled also?

Just wondering for next time.

Melanie

Paradise - January 2009

Paradise - April 2008
Carnival Pride - Nov 2007
Paradise - Sept 2005
Carnival Pride - Nov 2004
Ecstasy - Jan 2004
Carnival Pride - Nov 2003
Elation - Nov 2002