CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Tipping (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/tipping/)
-   -   tipping amounts (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/tipping/300048-tipping-amounts.html)

bee May 3rd, 2003 04:06 PM

tipping amounts

We are going on the imagination for 5 days in June. We are going to tip the old fashioned way just because we like to give them cash and usually tip more than what is recommended. I can't remember the exact amounts and would like someone to remind me. I know our documents will have the smounts but our daughter is bringing a friend and I want to be able to tell the parents how much cash to send.
Thanks so much.

Donna May 3rd, 2003 05:40 PM

Re: tipping amounts

Hi Bee,
The industry stand is:

Waiter - $3.50 per person, per day
Cabin attandant - $3.50 per person, per day
Asst. Waiter - $2.00 per person, per day

There is also the head waiter, that you may want to tip as needed, totally up to you if he/she does something special or does come around and talk every evening.

Be sure to check your cruise docs and see if these amounts are correct and have a great cruise!

wonderer May 4th, 2003 11:52 AM

Re: Re: tipping amounts

Thanks so much for the info. Do you have any advice for us? Our daughter is bringing a friend (13yr.) We will bring a notorized copy of her birth cert., a notorized letter stating that we can authorize any needed medical care and her insurance info. Can you think of anything else.
Thanks so much for the help.

bee May 4th, 2003 02:56 PM

Re: Re: Re: tipping amounts

Donna,
I don't know why the other message got sent on my husbands name. But we are the same. HA!

angel May 6th, 2003 01:39 PM

you can also bring a picture i.d.- here in florida you can get an i.d. at the drivers license office if you are 13. i also suggest bringing walkie-talkies.

westielvr May 7th, 2003 06:00 PM

Check with airlines and cruise line. Do you need a notarized note saying that you have permission to take your daughter's friend out of the country? Does she has passport?

MusingPoet May 7th, 2003 09:30 PM

Donna
do you mean that if my husband and I and two teenage girls go on this trip we are expected to tip..........Waiter...3.50 per person (that's $16.00) per day (8 days) =$128.00

MusingPoet May 7th, 2003 09:34 PM

Donna
do you mean that if my husband and I and two teenage girls go on this trip we are expected to tip..........Waiter...3.50 per person ($16.00) per day (8 days) =$128.00
Cabin Attendant....3.50 per person per day............................................... ..........$128.00
Asst Cabin Attendant 2.00 per person ($8.00) per day (8 days)............................ 64.00

That's $320 MINIMUM of tips for this trip? just for those 3 people and not including extra services? If I'm missing anyone that needs to be tipped let me know.

Donna May 8th, 2003 08:05 AM

Yes MusingPoet,
Those are the requested amounts and that does include the teens. They really do work for those tips, I've never even thought not to include kids when they cruised with us, the staff does just as much or more to ensure they are having a good time.

I set the tip money aside and just stash it in the safe, so its all ready when its tip night.
If you also do excursions, those people will also need to be tipped, bus driver, tour guides, etc. Also the porters at the pier that will take your luggage onboard, tips for room service since its not your cabin attendant...

EricJ May 16th, 2003 02:26 PM

Re: tipping amounts

Musing poet -

I think your math is off. $3.50 per day times four people is $14 times 8 is $112.

I believe that the tips are calculated by the night not the day so if it is a 7 night cruise you would multiply by 7 which is $98 for the waiter, etc.

Kelley May 17th, 2003 06:01 PM

What is an "assistant" waiter and "assistant" cabin attendant? Are they REALLY necessary?

Ted C May 17th, 2003 06:56 PM

Assistant waiter assists the waiter and usually is tipped at a rate of $2 or $2,50 per day per person. In more than a dozen cruises we have never encountered an assistant cabin steward, if we did I would assume the steward would share his or her tip with the assistant, You will see the assistant waiter at every dinner and learn that they work pretty hard trying to meet your needs and keeping you happy.

Donna May 17th, 2003 07:00 PM

Kelly,
The assistant waiter is the busboy, so thats $2.00 per day, per person... Never heard of an assistant cabin attentand, but recently the head housekeeper. Have yet to see any of those, but I guess they are onboard, think unless I needed them for some reason, I can't see why we tip them, definitely the cabin attendant.