Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Tipping
Register Forgot Password?

Tipping Discuss policies, guidelines and protocol for tipping on ships here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 3rd, 2003, 04:06 PM
bee

Default tipping amounts

We are going on the imagination for 5 days in June. We are going to tip the old fashioned way just because we like to give them cash and usually tip more than what is recommended. I can't remember the exact amounts and would like someone to remind me. I know our documents will have the smounts but our daughter is bringing a friend and I want to be able to tell the parents how much cash to send.
Thanks so much.
Sponsored Links
Old May 3rd, 2003, 05:40 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna
Default Re: tipping amounts

Hi Bee,
The industry stand is:

Waiter - $3.50 per person, per day
Cabin attandant - $3.50 per person, per day
Asst. Waiter - $2.00 per person, per day

There is also the head waiter, that you may want to tip as needed, totally up to you if he/she does something special or does come around and talk every evening.

Be sure to check your cruise docs and see if these amounts are correct and have a great cruise!

Message Boards Moderator
Old May 4th, 2003, 11:52 AM
wonderer

Default Re: Re: tipping amounts

Thanks so much for the info. Do you have any advice for us? Our daughter is bringing a friend (13yr.) We will bring a notorized copy of her birth cert., a notorized letter stating that we can authorize any needed medical care and her insurance info. Can you think of anything else.
Thanks so much for the help.
Old May 4th, 2003, 02:56 PM
bee

Default Re: Re: Re: tipping amounts

Donna,
I don't know why the other message got sent on my husbands name. But we are the same. HA!
Old May 6th, 2003, 01:39 PM
angel

you can also bring a picture i.d.- here in florida you can get an i.d. at the drivers license office if you are 13. i also suggest bringing walkie-talkies.
Old May 7th, 2003, 06:00 PM
Passenger

Check with airlines and cruise line. Do you need a notarized note saying that you have permission to take your daughter's friend out of the country? Does she has passport?
Old May 7th, 2003, 09:30 PM
MusingPoet

Donna
do you mean that if my husband and I and two teenage girls go on this trip we are expected to tip..........Waiter...3.50 per person (that's $16.00) per day (8 days) =$128.00
Old May 7th, 2003, 09:34 PM
MusingPoet

Donna
do you mean that if my husband and I and two teenage girls go on this trip we are expected to tip..........Waiter...3.50 per person ($16.00) per day (8 days) =$128.00
Cabin Attendant....3.50 per person per day............................................... ..........$128.00
Asst Cabin Attendant 2.00 per person ($8.00) per day (8 days)............................ 64.00

That's $320 MINIMUM of tips for this trip? just for those 3 people and not including extra services? If I'm missing anyone that needs to be tipped let me know.
Old May 8th, 2003, 08:05 AM
Admiral

Yes MusingPoet,
Those are the requested amounts and that does include the teens. They really do work for those tips, I've never even thought not to include kids when they cruised with us, the staff does just as much or more to ensure they are having a good time.

I set the tip money aside and just stash it in the safe, so its all ready when its tip night.
If you also do excursions, those people will also need to be tipped, bus driver, tour guides, etc. Also the porters at the pier that will take your luggage onboard, tips for room service since its not your cabin attendant...

Message Boards Moderator
Old May 16th, 2003, 02:26 PM
Passenger

Default Re: tipping amounts

Musing poet -

I think your math is off. $3.50 per day times four people is $14 times 8 is $112.

I believe that the tips are calculated by the night not the day so if it is a 7 night cruise you would multiply by 7 which is $98 for the waiter, etc.
Old May 17th, 2003, 06:01 PM
Cruise Maniac

What is an "assistant" waiter and "assistant" cabin attendant? Are they REALLY necessary?
Old May 17th, 2003, 06:56 PM
Ted C

Assistant waiter assists the waiter and usually is tipped at a rate of $2 or $2,50 per day per person. In more than a dozen cruises we have never encountered an assistant cabin steward, if we did I would assume the steward would share his or her tip with the assistant, You will see the assistant waiter at every dinner and learn that they work pretty hard trying to meet your needs and keeping you happy.
Old May 17th, 2003, 07:00 PM
Admiral

Kelly,
The assistant waiter is the busboy, so thats $2.00 per day, per person... Never heard of an assistant cabin attentand, but recently the head housekeeper. Have yet to see any of those, but I guess they are onboard, think unless I needed them for some reason, I can't see why we tip them, definitely the cabin attendant.

Message Boards Moderator