Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Tipping
Register Forgot Password?

Tipping Discuss policies, guidelines and protocol for tipping on ships here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 10th, 2003, 11:15 AM
Passenger

Default Longer Cruises & tips

Hi Guys. This is a cry for help from an Englishman who cannot get any sensible answer from any equivalent U.K. website. The question is very simple: what tips do you pay on an extended cruise as, for example, round the world? Many cruise lines now add an automatic tip to your onboard account (yes I know that you can get the purser to change this) We over here are somewhat new to the concept of tipping but I would quake at paying something around $2000 dollars to Cunard in tips for their recently offered RTW trip! Incidentally I note that P&O advise a tip of around $5 per day against Cunard $11 but this may well change given the new ownership of P&O!
I normally go along with the recommended rates but then, if charged automatically. give a little extra to those who merit it.
It may seem a stupid question but, in these days of mega discount deals, the added costs of tipping can have a dramatic effect on the overall cost of the cruise. Congratulations to Orient Lines for including such costs; shame they no longer have Crown Odyssey.
Paul
Sponsored Links
Old May 17th, 2003, 11:16 AM
Passenger

Default Re: Longer Cruises & tips

Strange isn't it how nobody over your side of the pond has any view on how much to tip on longer cruises? We are always slammed for not doing "the right thing" when it comes to tips but when a simple question is asked there appears to be no answer from your side. Do not think us wrong when we ask for the change from a $9.90 bill having given $10.00.
Old May 17th, 2003, 11:36 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Paul,
I havent been fortunate enough to go on a really long cruise yet, but friends who have done longer cruises say they still tip the same recommended amount as those who may only be doing segments.

Though the numbers can certainly add up, approx $10/day doesn't seem an unusual burden for receiving great service.

- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old May 21st, 2003, 01:08 PM
Admiral

Location: Wisconsin....about 100 miles south of the Frozen Tundra and 70 miles east of Camp Randall
Send a message via AIM to Lisa Send a message via Yahoo to Lisa

I'm sorry I can't answer your question....longest cruise I have been on is 11 days and I tipped the suggested amount that cruise which came out to just about $100 total for the waiter, assistant waiter and room steward. Bar service included a 15% tip per order.

You might get more answers to this question if you post it on the Chit Chat board...I know for a fact RayB is back and he and his wife have done long cruises and could answer your question.