Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Tipping
Register Forgot Password?

Tipping Discuss policies, guidelines and protocol for tipping on ships here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 2nd, 2003, 01:08 PM
Passenger

Default RCL's policy

Just got back from Adventure of the Seas where you were given the option of added gratuities to your bill. It was $70 per person for a 7-day cruise. That includes your waiter, assistant waiter (serves drinks only), head waiter, and room attendant.

I spoke with a couple waiters who both told me that their salary was only $50 a month. For early dining our waiter only had 4 people since the other people came only once or never at all. I think some people forget to tip the assistant waiter.

Both the waiter and room attendants told me that their rarely go into port because they have little time during the day and only ports where the town is walking distance from the ship are feasible. For instance waiters work 2 meals a day and the cabin attendant cleans your room twice a day so they only have a small window opening of free time. They are not allowed in public areas of the ship unless they are in uniform and serving some purpose. It costs them a lot of money to send money home to their families abroad.

But I was very happy with the service level in the lunch buffet Windjammer even though those waiters do not work for tips at that time. As was so impressed by our room attendant saying hi to everyone my name.

Post Edited (07-02-03 13:11)

RCL Adventure of the Seas to Southern Caribbean
HAL Ryndam to Alaska
Sponsored Links
Old July 7th, 2003, 03:11 PM
Debbie B.

Default Re: RCL's policy

OK help me out here. My family and I are going on a souther Caribbean Cruise Nov 29.
I want some help on how and who you are suppose to tip? What gets left in envelopes?
Do you tip waiter and asst waiter at dinner, or at the end? How about your room stewart?
My husband, daughter and I love the Caribbean. St. Lucia is our absolute favorite.
This is our first cruise and would love as much info and help anyone can give to make this as painless as possible.
Also, how does one obtain prices of the "extra's" on board.

Help,
Debbie B.
Old July 9th, 2003, 08:56 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna
Default Re: Re: RCL's policy

Hi Debbie,
You will be provided with tip envelopes at the end of the cruise, simply follow the tipping guidelines they give you and remember thats per person, per day. You can also add to that if you felt the service was above the normal. There will be an envelope for your cabin attendant, waiter, asst. waiter and the Madre'd.

Message Boards Moderator
Old July 9th, 2003, 11:02 AM
Cruise Maniac

Donna -

Do you hand the envelope to each person or is there a drop off point for all somewhere? What if we don't see the staff before we leave?

thanks

Suzi

Old July 9th, 2003, 01:00 PM
Admiral

Hi Suzi,
When you go to dinner that last nite, bring along your envelopes and hand them to your wait staff, just leave the one for your cabin attenant in the cabin, he/she will find it. The previous nite ours had made this adorable haning monkey, I simply hung the envelope on him, yep it was gone when we got back from dinner :-)

Message Boards Moderator
Old July 9th, 2003, 03:09 PM
Cruise Maniac

Thanks Donna -

I don't want to look like the newbie I am. Any other pointers? Smaller ($1s, $5s, $10s) bills better than larger ones?

Suzi

Old July 9th, 2003, 03:18 PM
Admiral

Hi Suzi,
Be sure to bring at least 20 singles, they come in handy when tipping the luggage porter, cab driver, bus driver, etc. Otherwise I usually bring 50's and 20's, they seem to work best.

Message Boards Moderator
Old July 11th, 2003, 02:26 PM
Yeoman

Default Re: Re: Re: RCL's policy

I really have a hard time believing that these waiters only make $50.00 a month as a salary. I think it's a song and dance to get tips. Why would you work that hard for so little money. I know it may be worth more in their country but that much more?

Old July 11th, 2003, 02:32 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: RCL's policy

HI CQ,
Its true, their salaries are next to nothing, thats why the depend on those tips.

Message Boards Moderator
Old July 11th, 2003, 04:33 PM
Passenger

CQ,

One of the waitors who told me this was at lunchtime, meaning he's not being tipped then, this was after we had a friendly conversation about his country, and then I asked him.
Later I asked different people, I don't think they all got together to make up the same story. I was suprised that my cabin attendant wasn't friends with the other cabin attendants who worked the same hall. They were all nice, but I got the impression that they group together by where they're from.

All the service staff I met was from asia, eastern europe, caribbean, south africa, & costa rica. Only the officers/entertainment staff, that aren't tipped, came from rich countries like Canada.

RCL Adventure of the Seas to Southern Caribbean
HAL Ryndam to Alaska