Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Tipping
Register Forgot Password?

Tipping Discuss policies, guidelines and protocol for tipping on ships here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 16th, 2003, 05:08 PM
Yeoman

Default Tipping...Above and Beyond, what's the correct way

I always give the required amount of tipping in the envelopes provided (except for those who have done nothing for me.) After reading some threads on tipping, I found out that all the envelopes are pooled and then distributed accordingly, which I can understand because the buffet people do not get tipped at all.

My question is, if you have someone who goes above and beyond their duty, isn't it better to give what's required in the envelope but also hand them let's say another $20 in cash which for only themselves to keep?

Does this create a problem for the service person if someone sees them accepting cash also? I don't want to get anyone in trouble.

Hope someone could clarify this for me.
Sponsored Links
Old August 17th, 2003, 03:16 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna
Default Re: Tipping...Above and Beyond, what's the correct way

Hi Cathy,
I've done that and was hoping that they do get to keep that little bit extra, at least I sure hope so.

Message Boards Moderator
Old November 24th, 2003, 10:07 PM
Shellytc

Default Re: Tipping...Above and Beyond, what's the correct way

I haven't worked for a cruise line, but I have worked places that pooled tips. Even if they aren't allowed to keep individual tips, the thought is very much appreciated. Knowing you thought enough of their service keeps most in the service industry going and trying harder.

Also, with pooling tips, there usually is some sort of accounting procedure to show who was tipped what amount from the total customer base. so the staff (and managment) is aware that Joe brought in the standard amount for the week, Mary brought in under the standard, and Tim brought in over the standard. If those numbers are consistent from week to week, the peer pressure is going to get intense (no one wants to "carry" anyone else), and management can look at it as well, and make changes if necessary.

If an employee is giving exceptional service, their tips will generally reflect it (with some strange exceptions like having a group that didn't budget for tips). And if an employee is giving less than standard service, their tips will generally reflect it.

I don't know if this is done on any cruise line, but it is possible.

Shelly